mdadm: no arrays found in config file or automatically

• Check the last reply on my thread Unable to boot after installation (Dropping to a shell!) I think you may have the same problem which I did.

Your screenshot in the first post of that thread is exactly what I was getting. I'll reinstall in the next day or so when I have a moment and take a look at Grub at boot. I'll see if the fix in that thread works for me. and will try what @ryecoaaron recommends above: raid=noautodetect .

What is really strange to me is that I haven't used RAID in years. Not since @ryecoaaron recommended I try rsync instead of RAID quite some time back. Now I'm using Snapraid, so there's never been an array to assemble or reassemble, or have any other kind of issue with!

• quid7 and Bohatyr are correct from what I can see yet I am still having issues. When installing from a USB drive it boots to GRUB after the install. Going to edit the boot menu brings up what is below:

From this I can see that the UUID is not right at all. Before trying this install I grabbed the UUID of the drive the OS was to be installed on which is e984d5db-5116-4c31-bfe7-c2a39775f9eb. The UUID's don't match at all and the entire "Search" section of the code here is something I don't think should be there. So I tried removing that entire If --Else Statement, and edited the "Linux" line so the UUID is present instead of the /dev*. That can be seen below:

Yet, when trying to run the boot from this code another issue pops up. It cannot find the Linux set up:

I don't know why but during install it definitely is not setting up the boot sequence correct from what I can see. Any ideas on what can be tried to fix the boot?

• to ZeroGravitas23:
    When you boot to GRUB, you have to edit only this row:
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14 bla bla root=UUID=( here set your root UUID instead /dev/sdb1 ) without parenthesis
    After change it, push F10 - your OMV shoul be startup right
    It is important update your OMV for permanent changes.

• Thank you for the quick reply Bohatyr.

You steps worked like a charm (once I got the UUID correct haha).

I did notice that the change isn't persistent so how do we permanently change the boot so the UUID sticks? Do we just need to edit fstab?

This is what is shown on the fstab after successfully changing GRUB and booting into OMV:

• I wrote this "update your OMV"
    Easiest way for you is over OMV Web GUI.
    Once a new kernel is applied, the problem will be resolved and change will be permanent.

• You are 100% correct. After correcting the "Linux" line in the boot menu, booted up, and ran all of the available updates for the system it is now able to boot into OMV 4 successfully after rebooting.

Thank you for all of the help, and I learned something from this which is the best part.

So for anyone that seems to be having the same issue:

Edit GRUB where this is located linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14 bla bla root=/dev/***
    Replace the root = /dev/*** with the below
    root = UUID = "Your UUID for the main OMV partition"

@ryecoaaron Any idea why this might be happening to some of us? The install seems to be choosing the incorrect partition when creating the initial boot sequence. Changing it to the precise UUID and then booting into OMV and running any system updates necessary seems to cement the UUID when corrected in GRUB first.

Just want to make sure other users are aware of how to fix this or why it might be happening.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any idea why this might be happening to some of us? The install seems to be choosing the incorrect partition when creating the initial boot sequence. Changing it to the precise UUID and then booting into OMV and running any system updates necessary seems to cement the UUID when corrected in GRUB first.

This isn't an OMV thing. This is caused by the debian installer. Not sure why your systems are using the device name instead of the uuid. All of my systems I just checked are using UUID for grub including a system installed from a usb stick to a usb stick.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• This isn't an OMV thing. This is caused by the debian installer. Not sure why your systems are using the device name instead of the uuid. All of my systems I just checked are using UUID for grub including a system installed from a usb stick to a usb stick.

Did you check right after the installation finished and OMV boots for the first time from disk? I noticed that the OMV/Debian installer does not use UUIDs for the first boot. It is corrected only after the first boot, probably through apt-get when the grub config gets updated, I didn't check though.

So if you add drives before booting into the OS for the first time (as I did) there's a high chance OMV won't be able to boot without adjusting the boot parameters manually since the drive letters will have changed.

• Just to clarify, during the entire time of trying to move from either OMV 2 or OMV 3, I personally did not have any drives connected during or after each installation minus of course the SSD I was trying to install OMV 4 onto.

I was attempting to install OMV 4 from a USB image onto an SSD with all of the extra data drives removed from the system. Upon installation and rebooting for the first time into the OS it would venture into GRUB and not find any OS drive to boot from even though the only drive available was the SSD that was just used to install OMV 4 onto.

And Domi, you are 100% correct that the first time when trying to go into the OS it does not use the UUID for the boot. It tried to use something along the lines of /dev/sda when really the correct drive was /dev/sdg1 (this also is a little odd since the OMV installation seems to have made several partitions on /dev/sdg and the boot existed precisely on sdg1.

So something during installation must be reverting the GRUB setup to using the /dev/*** nomenclature instead of using the UUID. I am not versed with GRUB or Linux enough to understand why Debian is doing this. But it is quite frustrating if you don't know how to navigate through GRUB well. Thank you again for all of the help so far. It has solved the problem for myself, I just wish we knew the exact cause in case other users see the same thing.

• hi all,

today finally I decided to upgrade from omv2 to omv4, windows10 has deprecated old smb v1 protocol so it convinced me to make a fresh install in my nas.

I installed from a usb media, sda, to an ssd, sdb, connected as usb (to spare a sata port) and with all old data hdd unplugged.
    After rebooting without installation media, the ssd switched from sdb to sda and I faced the same problem, mdadm array etc etc.
    Plug-in the data hdd (5), as suggested, not solved as os ssd it's now sdf.

The problem is in grub conf, its entry has as linux root the wrong id device (good only during installation config), in my case root=/dev/sdb1

Long story short, to get rid of the problem I pressed 'e' in the grub menu to edit parameters and I changed the root attribute with the current device so I managed to boot and then on the shell I executed "update-grub" that changed root values in uuid version 'root=UUID=...'.

I hope it could be of any aid to whom is still facing it.

Bye

• Long story short, to get rid of the problem I pressed 'e' in the grub menu to edit parameters and I changed the root attribute with the current device so I managed to boot and then on the shell I executed "update-grub" that changed root values in uuid version 'root=UUID=...'.

Hey mate - sorry can you be a bit mores specific here?

I got the to edit screen, but i'm just not clear exactly where I should be making changes and what to change it to. Code below, if you can help please?

UPDATE: Got it sorted.

Boot up - when the terminal stops loading the error and gives you the mdadm prompt, type 'blkid'
    This should show you all attached disks. You're looking for the one toward the bottom (arrarys/sata disk should be at top). For me it was a bit ambiguous - there were two that my boot USB could have been so I just remembered both (happened to be sdg1 and sdh1).
    Reboot, and when you see the bluescrren GRUB hit 'e'
    In the above code block change line #15 - so mine became 'root=/dev/sdg1'
    Then hit F10 to boot. If it does, you've got the right one - if not, go back and try another disk name/id.
    You should now have a 'login' prompt. Login in, then type 'update-grub'. This will make your change to the GRUB permanent.

Most of the above has been said in one form or another by others, I just had trouble following it as a newb, so hopefully my elongated writeup will help another newb!

• That solution didn't work for me.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The easyiest way to fix to boot isue is, to disconnect all harddrives. After that you can boot und log into in your account - run sudo "update-grub" and this fixes to fals line in the grub bootloader (switches to UUID)

• I want to add my input here. I've read through this thread--the post from chclark on March 4th (above) states exactly what I experienced. I'd like to point out this is nearly 5 months ago, so as far as I can tell, nothing is changed. I am a Newbie at this DYI NAS thing, and also pretty much with Linux language and procedures. (I'm pretty adept with Windows.) I tried two other NAS programs, both bombed for me! I really appreciated the guidance with OpenMediaVault, and the relative ease of installation. and the sincere attempts to make this useful to the non-savvy consumer. Having gotten so far, you can imagine my dismay--in this my third software attempt--at running into this problem with version 4.1.3. For me the only real solution was to go back to the previous version--3.0.86. That installed easily and works.

So my question from here is, how and when should I be able to upgrade to version 4? Should this be done from inside the program with packages now? Should I wait till 4 is "perfected"? How will I know that it is safe to upgrade? Maybe I don't need to upgrade, as so far I have not had problems with Version 3.

Michael

• Hey guys. I'm coming to update my OMV 2 to 4 aswell. I had the same issue like you all had. The solution was to not even manually do anything under 'e' in the grub. I unplugged all drives except the omv one and without others it started. I ran the "update-grub" command, turned off, replugged the drives and it's now working again.

Thanks guys

• Thanks this resolved my issue ive fresh installed OMV4 now only because my samsung ssd was reporting bad strangly the smart test says its ok though.

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• Hello,
    since i faced that problem in a reproducible manner I want to share my experience. Maybe it helps someone else.

On my first installation from USB drive to SSD everything was fine.
    On this installation run the list of my drives was: 1. USB drive 2. SSD

Due to problems with the NIC of my HP N36L I had to install again.
    I thought I can just install again and the first installation will be formatted.
    So the following installation run fine.
    But I observed, that from now on the list of my drives was: 1. SSD 2. USB drive
    And I got the “mdadm: no arrays found in config file or automatically” error every time.

My simple “fix” was to connect the SSD on another laptop (Windows with USB to SATA Adapter) and removed all the partitions on the SSD.

On the following installation from USB to the SSD in the server I had the list of my drives like in the first installation: 1. USB drive 2. SSD
    Afterwards the “mdadm: no arrays found in config file or automatically” error didn’t show up.

Hope this helps someone else.
    (so far I’m very happy with OMV!)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!