mdadm: no arrays found in config file or automatically

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• couch_potatozes wrote:

Shell-Script

1. set params 'Debian GNU/Linux'
      2. load_video
      3. insmod gzip
      4. if_[ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then ismod xzio; ismod lzopio; fi
      5. ismod part_msdos
      6. ismod ext2
      7. set root='hd7,msdos1'
      8. if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
      9. search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set-root --hint-bios=hd7,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd7,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci7,msdos1 89cc63e0-dbae-427e-973e-411ab11bd160
      10. else
      11. seach --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set-root 89cc63e0-dbae-427e-973e-411ab11bd160
      12. fi
      13. echo 'loading Linux 4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 ...'
      14. linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 root=/dev/sdh1 ro quiet
      15. echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
      16. initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
      Display All
      UPDATE: Got it sorted.

Boot up - when the terminal stops loading the error and gives you the mdadm prompt, type 'blkid'
      This should show you all attached disks. You're looking for the one toward the bottom (arrarys/sata disk should be at top). For me it was a bit ambiguous - there were two that my boot USB could have been so I just remembered both (happened to be sdg1 and sdh1).
      Reboot, and when you see the bluescrren GRUB hit 'e'
      In the above code block change line #15 - so mine became 'root=/dev/sdg1'
      Then hit F10 to boot. If it does, you've got the right one - if not, go back and try another disk name/id.
      You should not have a 'login' prompt. Login in, then type 'update-grub'. This will make your change to the GRUB permanent.

Most of the above has been said in one form or anything by others, I just had trouble following it as a newb, so hopefully my elongated writeup will help another newb!
      This worked perfectly for me. Many thanks.
    • Yes, thank you for giving us the "long" version. Many times on the forums people say "do this, or do that", but without the foundation behind it, it's not helpful. For myself, I have rarely, if ever toyed with or modified grub.

A noob question though, how to issue the "blkid" command and get it to pause? I have 12 drives plus the boot drive on this system and the first items disappear off the screen pretty quickly.
    • bbddpp wrote:

I googled this issue and it brought me here, as I see this warning all the time now, not just at boot but any time I run package updates.

I also found another thread

askubuntu.com/questions/834903…dm-conf-defines-no-arrays

which mentions using an edit in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

ARRAY <ignore> devices=/dev/sda

as a solution. Anyone tried this? Seems pretty simple.

I had this exact same issue on my HP N40L microserver after I upgraded the boot HDD to an SSD (240GB).
      I then partitioned the SDD (using gparted) and shrunk the boot partition to 20GB and created a data partition for the rest (minus a small Swap partition). So now I have 5 data HDD's plus one data partition on teh boot SSD.
      On boot I now have 36 "mdadm: no arrays found in config file or automatically" messages taking around 40 secs and eventually boots.
      The system is fine but those annoying messages delays the boot.
      Lot of googling resulted in no good reason as to WHY.

In the end I "solved" (or got rid of those warnings) with the suggestion here.
      Edited /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf and added:

Source Code

1. ARRAY <ignore> devices=/dev/sda
      2. ARRAY <ignore> devices=/dev/sdb
      3. ARRAY <ignore> devices=/dev/sdc
      4. ARRAY <ignore> devices=/dev/sdd
      5. ARRAY <ignore> devices=/dev/sde
      6. ARRAY <ignore> devices=/dev/sdf

That is, one line of EACH drive.
      and the, ran update-initramfs -u command

Now, after BIOS post, OMV boots in 30 secs.

(BTW,Adding just one line for/dev/sda did nothing.)
      HP Microserver N40L; OMV 4.1.18-2;