Gui & ssh unreacheable when a disk fails

• Hi folks,
    I'm experimenting real troubles in 2 -> 3 upgrade!
    I have 2 NAS running and in both cases I had a disk issue (SMART monitoring, as I can see late, becomes RED): when it happened, OMV GUI and SSH service become both unreacheable, so that I have to phisically reboot the system to see what happened and make the opportune repairs.
    Anyway NFS and SAMBA kept on working normally, but the plugins (e.g. syncthing) were broken.
    The NAS screen kept on running a "blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdX, sector XXXX".
    IS THAT NORMAL?
    Often happens that I receive from my "fauthful mine" OMV assistant an error email about "collect service", but now I "started" the service and it ain't gonna happen no more. Graphics are ok: why the demon does not start automatically?
    :(;(X(:love::cursing:
    I'm really thinking about switching back to OMV 2 (never had problem with that!!!)
    Thanks
    Massimo

• "blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdX, sector XXXX" tells you that most probably your disk is physically damaged. All disks eventually die, this is not a matter of if but only when. Even if you ignore this it will happen anyway. This is also totally unrelated to any piece of software running on the host the disk is connected to.

• Thanks for the reply, but why the GUI & the SSH became unreacheable? And why sinchthing plugin stops working, even if the folders syncronizing are not on the "future damaged" disk?
    And is it normal that the "blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdX, sector XXXX" keeps on comparing for pages and pages?
    Thanks againn
    Massimo

• And is it normal that the "blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdX, sector XXXX" keeps on comparing for pages and pages?

Simple experiment: Your OS lives on sdX (for whatever reasons you do NOT provide any details so no one can help you), now let's try to damage the contents of sdX --> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=10M

As soon as the contents of this drive get corrupted, the filesystem gets corrupted and further on the OS installation gets corrupted (regardless whether it's Linux, Windows, macOS, whatever).

If sdX is the disk where the OS lives then you're just reporting a failing harddisk having damaged your installation. If sdX is something else then we're missing any details/information to be able to comment on...

• Thanks for the reply. Actually I finally discover that the trouble disk where 2: 1 data disk and the other sys disk.
    Strange in that they are both 100% efficency DiskSentinel: the ssd 32 zeino sys disk is brand new! ?(
    I Clonezilled the sys disk and backuped the data disk; after that I wiped (shred) them both and renistall system and data.
    Now everythink semms to be working :thumbup: ... knock on wood!
    Thanks
    Massimo

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!