SSD or USB Key?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am using OMV as server with some docker container as Adguard, jdownloader, nextcloud, home assistant.

Three dockers are not that much. The only one in your list that give me pause is jdownloader. If you could configure jdownloader to use one of your data disks (for file storage of downloaded files) you'd probably be OK. Further, note that OMV will allow you to run dockers from a data drive. If you do that, you'd be fine.

I thought that USB pendrive could be nice because we can easily backup the entire USB stick or have several to test some stuff and easily come back to the last OMV backup if there is a problem.

Yep, this is the best reason for using flashdrives - they're easy to clone. The recent issue with docker-ce is a great example. Do an update, run into a problem,, simply fall back to the cloned backup until the issue is sorted out.

Is it possible to do that with two different drive, one sata drive for the nominal setup, and one USB stick to test, and transfert OMV os between them if the USB stick configuration is working?

Yes, but it gets a bit more complicated. There's a backup plugin that copies the boot drive to a shared folder but I haven't used it. In the kernel plugin, there's clonezilla. Clonezilla will copy between two different devices but using clonezilla requires a monitor to be hooked up.

If you want to go this route, cloning between an internal and an external device, it might pay to learn more about-> dd so you can do it on the command line

The easiest route, in my opinion, is to move your dockers to a data disk and use thumbdrives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can boot into clonezilla and connect vis ssh.

My mistake. I confused Clonzilla with Gparted.

RomainD2
    If you want to use Clonzilla, take a look at this -> doc. It has instructions for SSH'ing into clonzilla. A monitor is not required.

• crashtest and macom thanks for your answers.

I already use cloneZilla to have backup of my SSD system disk.

However I thought that it was only possible to restore on the same drive which have the exact same size, I never tested on other disk.

The docker container which I am afraid about performance between SSD or USB stick is the home assistant container. I need to restart the container several times when I configure something in home assistant.

• Offizieller Beitrag

However I thought that it was only possible to restore on the same drive which have the exact same size, I never tested on other disk.

Clone to a larger drive is always possible. You can enlarge the filesystem afterwards using gparted.

Cloning on the smaller disk is also possible, as long as the disk is large enough to receive the complete content. For this you have to use the -icds switch in clonezilla in advanced or expert section.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The docker container which I am afraid about performance between SSD or USB stick is the home assistant container. I need to restart the container several times when I configure something in home assistant.

I use an USB thumb drive for the OS, but the docker root path is on an SSD.

• I use an USB thumb drive for the OS, but the docker root path is on an SSD.

Thanks, do you have some example of USB thumb drive that you use ?

For example I found that : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B09ZR…2-21&ascsubtag=1401636925

But the write speed is around 12 MB/s, it seems to low ?

I also searched for small USB to micro SD card to use micro SD card as USB pendrive, but it is difficult to find one with good data transfer.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use this one

Samsung USB-Stick Typ-A FIT Plus (MUF-64AB/APC), 64 GB, 300 MB/s Lesen, 30 MB/s Schreiben, kleines USB 3.1 Flash Drive mit Schlüsselring, Gunmetal Gray
    Samsung USB Flash Drive FIT Plus Hohe Performance kompaktes Design und bewährte Zuverlässigkeit Die effiziente Art neuen Platz zu schaffen Der USB-Stick FIT…
    www.amazon.de

Works fine for me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Generally speaking, try to get a SanDisk or a Samsung thumbdrive. They build their own, good quality, drives versus buying them from some OEM on contract and putting their label on them.

• Thanks for your help, I have ordered two 64go extreme pro SD card with the SanDisk matemobile USB to micro SD adapter.

So I will put my OMV 6 system OS on the micro SD card, it can be easily backup with windows software.

I also have a 1 To SSD for data system files and data nextcloud. But there is also somes other files that I don't need to backup.

I think that if I want to restore my whole system, I need to restore the OMV OS on the micro SD card, but I also need to backup and restore data files on the 1To SSD !

What do you recommend to make a backup of this disk that is not too big, and that I can easily restore in case of problems?

• Offizieller Beitrag

My experience.
    I used SSD Flash 16GB (Transcent) with plugin enabled openmediavault-flashmemory.

Exactly 1 year later the disc died.

If you killed an SSD with the flashmemory plugin installed, you were doing things other than OMV (docker maybe? enabled monitoring?) on the OS disk. Or it was just bad from the factory.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you killed an SSD with the flashmemory plugin installed, you were doing things other than OMV (docker maybe? enabled monitoring?) on the OS disk. Or it was just bad from the factory.

I remembered there were emergency blackouts, I think that up to 50 times. Docker was running by default.

I didn't know docker monitoring could be disabled. Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Docker was running by default.

You can move it.

I didn't know docker monitoring could be disabled

Not docker monitoring. OMV monitoring in the System -> Monitoring tab.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I was trying to move to a USB drive from SSD.

I see a big difference in performance between USB stick and sata SSD, especially when new updates installing or applying new settings, it takes ages on the USB stick. I used SanDisk 32GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 for the system. And yes I used openmediavault-flashmemory plugin.

Then I googled a lot and found that very often USB stick can die, of course you can restore the backup, but it`s time, so I decided to switcth back to SSD, but then remember that I have a few 1-2TB nvme`s. Now you can buy nvme for 1TB for 60$ with 600TB resource, my hardware doesn`t support nvme, so I bought PCI-E adapter (some Chinese 10$ thing, which works already for year without issue).

Code
    lsblk -f
    mkdir /mnt/backup
    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup
    /mnt/backup/restore.sh

I wanted to automate this process for restoring images from dd archive. Maybe someone will find it helpful. It works, already restored.

Then during boot error appeared, so how did I fix it:

Bash
    lsblk -f
    # remember UUID of new drive
    sudo nano /etc/fstab
    # change boot, swap and main partition of system, write correct UUID`s
    sudo update-grub
    sudo swapon -s
    reboot

During boot choose GParted Live and shrink nvme, I made 20GB for system and other 980GB created a separate drive, called this as nvme.

On nvme I have docker containers, configs, qBittorent downloads, webdav. etc.

Maybe it`s not ideal instruction, but it works.

What did I achieve overall:

• My 1TB nvme is pretty old, but anyway it`s WD Black SN750 with 600TB resources, now after few years of usage in my PC it still has only almost 50TB (Data Units Written: 94,369,600 [48.3 TB]) so it`s only 10% of the resource.
    • Speed, I have 1200-1900 MB/sec (HDD has 150-250 MB/sec), so any operation is very fast, any changing of settings applied immediately.
    • And free sata connector to motherboard, because it works via PCI-E.
    • Don`t see the reason why anyone needs USB stick for 15$ with 32-64GB space if you can buy nvme with a huge resource and 1TB storage space for only 60$, what will be much faster and will work for 5+ years on warranty without any issues.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I see a big difference in performance between USB stick and sata SSD, especially when new updates installing or applying new settings, it takes ages on the USB stick.

Updates and new settings are operations on the boot drive. How often do you do that? Otherwise, if you're not running app's with web pages or Dockers from the boot drive, you'd see very little difference in NAS performance (file access and transfers).

Then I googled a lot and found that very often USB stick can die, of course you can restore the backup,

The above doesn't take into account the extension of life that the flashmemory plugin gives a USB drive. I recently had a SanDisk thumbdrive go read-only (EOL) after roughly 6 years (it lasted through 3 versions of OMV). As you suggested, after discovering the problem, I plugged in a cloned backup and was back up in 5 minutes. That kind of speed of recovery is only possible with USB pluggable devices. (I will caveat this and mention that I don't run dockers from the boot drive and I'm not using a package installed directly on the boot drive that uses a web interface like Plex.)

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to talk you into a thumbdrive. :) But I can say, in my use case with only one direct installed package (UrBackup) I'm getting great longevity with SanDisk thumbdrives.

• I am new to OMV and am in need of some insight. Have any of you ever used a pair of 64gb SATADOM's in Raid 1 for boot drives of on any NAS OS. I am wanting to use them in my Dell Power Edge XC730XD 14 bay server. I'll be using the 2 SFF 600gb SAS drives for VM's , 4- 20tb in raid 6, 4-3tb as a backup of my offsite server in raid 6, and lastly 4- 10tb drives in raid 10 for important personal doc storage. All 12 bays are in LFF's Seagate EXOS or Dell enterprise Drives. I'm running; 2-E5-2680 14 core Procs, with 128gb ECC Reg. 2400mhz 32gb modules per Proc. for a total of 256gb ram. I want to setup Plex, Syncthing, Nextcloud, and RSync for backups and Data File Storage. Please let me know your thought and critiques. I am looking for any and all input. I have tried TrueNAS Core and Scale, but I was not satisfied with the setup and the way that it handles the drive arrays. so I am Toying with Xigmanas and OMV as my next alternative solution. But then again my last and probably best solution is to run Rocky Linux and set it all up by hand in a headless environment. and let Cron jobs and raid mirrors be my data security with a spare server setup offsite for 3rd backup of data and cloud storage. :/ :/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!