RaspberryPi 2 with Yottamaster Hardware RAID enclosure

• Hello, up until now I have used a WD My Cloud Mirror for the past 2 years which gives me RAID1 NAS. I've always wanted to figure out how to build my own setup so that I had some control over the hardware and software/configuration. That day changed when I decided to repurpose a spare raspberry pi and came across OpenMediaVault! I'm blown away at the functionality built into this FoSS. Thank you to all the developers and contributors of this project. I'm fairly new to OpenMediaVault, I think I flashed it about a week ago and have been tinkering and learning ever since. My current build which seems to be working quite well is as I mentioned a Raspberry Pi 2 with swap turned off and running an OpenMediaVault 3 image from here. I've got 2 WD Red Drives loaded into a Yottamaster Hardware RAID enclosure which can do RAID 0, RAID 1, or SPAN. The Yottamaster enclosure is currently configured to do RAID 1 across my 2 WD Red drives and then rsync at midnight to a second attached USB attached device. All drives are formatted EXT4. I was going to go with BTRFS but for some reason I couldn't get OMV on the Raspi to do it. I like the idea of BTRFS over EXT4 because of the checksums on files and metadata.

After further investigation the Yottamaster is found to be utilizing the JMS561 chip from JMicron. It seems that the JMS561 chip is widely used from my research. I did find that the ODROID CloudShell2 uses it, which seems popular. My one complaint so far is that I'm unable to get SMART data from the drives through the JMS561 chip and my main concern is that something might happen to the HW RAID device and cause data corruption across the two drives which is then propagated to the second attached USB device during rsync. So my questions are:

• How likely is this of a scenario?
    • How does one prevent/detect data corruption due to a hardware failure of HW RAID Devices?
    • Am I crazy for using/relying on this as a home setup?

EDIT: While this solution may work for some, I believe it's missing the mark in a lot of ways. I've come to the realization that HW Raid is the old way of doing it and decided to ditch HW Raid for something more with the times.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!