How-to: Install Highpoint RocketRAID drivers

• I have a RocketRAID 2720 card and before I decided to use OMV I did some research to see if this card was supported. I found, much to my surprise, that this card, as well as most of the Highpoint cards, is supported by using the Backports kernel as mentioned in this thread (and others). Well this is only somewhat true, as I found that when I installed the backports kernel my 6x2TB RAID5 array showed up as 6 individual 2TB disks, as opposed to the single 10TB RAID5 array that I created. The purpose of this tutorial is to get the proper driver from Highpoint installed so that the array you have configured shows up in OMV.

1) Start by installing the Backports kernel (note: kernel version number may be different)

Code
    echo "deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
    apt-get update
    apt-cache search linux-image-3
    apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 firmware-linux-free

2) Install the kernel headers (note: kernel version number may be different)

Code
    apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

3) Download the drivers from Highpoint's site (note: you will have to go to Highpoint's site and get the correct URL)

Code
    wget “http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/rr272x_1x/Linux/RR272x_1x-Linux-Src-v1.4-120424-1752.tar.gz”

4) Extract the files

Code
    tar zxpf RR272x_1x-Linux-Src-v1.4-120424-1752.tar.gz

5) Install the driver

Code
    cd product/rr272x/linux
    make
    cp ./.build/rr272x_1x.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/scsi
    depmod -a

6) Now we need to Blacklist the mvsas module as it gets loaded before this driver we just compiled

Code
    echo "blacklist mvsas" >> /etc/modprobe.d/mvsas-blacklist.conf

7) Delete and recreate initramfs

Code
    update-initramfs -d -k 3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
    update-initramfs -c -v -k 3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

8) Reboot and enjoy!

These steps are written out specifically for the RocketRAID2720 card. If you have a different card, you will need to change some value accordingly. I am still working on getting the WebGUI to work on this as well. I have installed and configured everything but still get a "Driver is not loaded" error. If anyone has resolved this, I would love to hear from them, otherwise I will update this tutorial if/when I figure it out. Thanks

• reebzor,

Thanks very much for this guide. I am working through it with a RocketRAID 2600 series card (rr2680) and found it to be *extremely* useful.

One small missing step - you also need to install "build-essential", given that you are compiling the drivers from source code (and I seem to have missed out the step "apt-get install linux-headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64" the first time, resulting in the error "make: *** /lib/modules/3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64/build: No such file or directory. Stop.").

Also your instruction (which is currently in "code" tags):

Code
    copy rr272x_1x.ko to /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/scsi

might better be stated as:

Code

I also ran into an issue when running apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 -

I'm not sure whether that is serious? It sounds like the new version may not be able to support my network card / no realtek drivers are included due to licensing?

Slightly confused by this - do you have a view on whether I need to fix something?

Cheers

monkeyman

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Code
    apt-get install firmware-realtek

will fix everything :)

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "monkeyman"

reebzor,

Thanks very much for this guide. I am working through it with a RocketRAID 2600 series card (rr2680) and found it to be *extremely* useful.

One small missing step - you also need to install "build-essential", given that you are compiling the drivers from source code (and I seem to have missed out the step "apt-get install linux-headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64" the first time, resulting in the error "make: *** /lib/modules/3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64/build: No such file or directory. Stop.").

I do not have build-essential installed and it worked just fine for me with out it. It probably doesn't hurt to have it installed though.

Zitat von "monkeyman"

Also your instruction (which is currently in "code" tags):

Code
    copy rr272x_1x.ko to /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/scsi

might better be stated as:

Code

Very good point, I have edited my post above to reflect this change. Thanks,

Norco RPC-2008, Intel Core i3-530 2.93Ghz, 12GB DDR3, Highpoint RocketRAID 2720, 6x2TB WD20EADS, 2x1TB ST1000LM

• reebzor,

Interesting that you managed to compile the sourcecode without "build-essentials" - did you install another package that ensured you had compilers and utilities (such as "make")?

ryecoaaron,

Great - thanks very much for that. I've done the install, but I'm not sure how I check that worked (I don't really want to rebuild the drivers again given that everything seems to be working?)

I also received the following errors / warnings on installation:

Code
    W: mdadm: unchecked configuration file: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
    W: mdadm: please read /usr/share/doc/mdadm/README.upgrading-2.5.3.gz .

W: mdadm: no arrays defined in configuration file.

I wasn't able to make sense of the mdadm readme or the configuration file - it does seem to be working for now, but if I run into issues, I guess it would be wise to reinstall with the realtek package installed this time?

Many thanks

monkeyman

• hi guys,
    i have the same card since yesterday. can someone post how i can use the webgui ?
    i want to build my raid over this gui :)

thanks for your help,
    disk

HP-Proliant Microserver Gen8 | omv = always latest | 64 bit | 1x3TB ,3x4TB , 1x500GB HDD for Boot | omvextrasorg = latest | HP P212| Plugins = NUT, HWRaid, luksencryption OMV extras

• hmmm does it makes sense to try anotherone ?

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/rr272x_1x/Linux/

HP-Proliant Microserver Gen8 | omv = always latest | 64 bit | 1x3TB ,3x4TB , 1x500GB HDD for Boot | omvextrasorg = latest | HP P212| Plugins = NUT, HWRaid, luksencryption OMV extras

• okay after 1 hour of testing and a good friend who helped me out. the driver is working.
    BUT the webgui don't. does anyone have an idea how it can work ?

• Diskman,

Glad to see you got the driver working.

I spent hours trying to get the WebGUI to work, but I was never able to. I have since moved back to FreeNAS, where the WebGUI works well, so I am unable to work on this with OMV. Please make sure to post back in this thread if you are ever able to get it to work.

Norco RPC-2008, Intel Core i3-530 2.93Ghz, 12GB DDR3, Highpoint RocketRAID 2720, 6x2TB WD20EADS, 2x1TB ST1000LM

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you running raid on the card or software raid? I don't understand what doesn't work about WebGUI? It doesn't work at all or you just can't configure a raid array on it?

The next version of OMV will be based on Wheezy where you can run the backports 3.12 kernel that should eliminate the driver issue.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• status is:
    raid controller installed
    driver installed
    hardware raid on the controller

not working:
    webgui software for this controller
    if the drivers are not installed the raid you create will not shown up and the disc will only shown as single disc

happy wonderland:
    everything should work out of the box
    the raid driver plus the webgui than i can configure the raid drives over it

• Offizieller Beitrag

What provides the webgui? Do you have to install software? With my LSI card, I enter the cards bios to set everything up.

If you are using hardware raid, you want it to show up in the OMV web interface as one drive. That is how the Dell perc5/i works on the poweredge I have. There will be a plugin to read information from individual drives in the near future.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe you should just put the non-raid firmware on the controller and run software raid. That is what I do with my LSI controller and the server I just built.

• yeah but thesoftware offers me option that the bios version of it will not have for an example NCQ, smart, email options and so on.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm sure it still has NCQ with the non-raid bios and OMV can do the smart and email parts. Just sayin :)

• I wanted to pass on that I got the Webgui installed finally last night after starting with Debian 6.0.9 and going from there. If Highpoint would supply us with decent scripts, it wouldn't be so hard. There is a new Driver out and about (ver 1.6x) that fixed my issues.

However I will say this. For my current system, Raid 5 via mdraid is faster on Linux than what the driver does with a "fake" Raid 5. This is not the case on Windows, but since this is OMV... ;)

Once my Dell PowerEdge T20 gets in, I'll create a how-to for doing it, as most of the work happened over the course of 8 hours...

• Zitat von "Blue_Calx"

tx.canyon,

I am really interested how you got the webgui management working. thanks!

I do apologize for missing your reply to this thread. My Dell T20 server is in, and I am currently testing using snapraid on the intel controller via ahci vs the Highpoint controller due to the issue with hard drive temps not being reported via smart.

The 1.61 drivers can be found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214489

It may take some time, but I will be ordering some WD Red Nas drives to replace my aging and surprisingly still going strong 5 year old WD Green Drives. Once I get them in I will build OMV up from scratch and will do a howto for it. Likely .6 (1.0) will be live, and it could make things easier or a little more difficult to make it all work.

If you have the time and patience you can start with this:

Download+install debian 6.0.9
    modify apt source list to include the backports kernel (3.2) repository and change over (alternatively you can install OMV .5 -> omv extras -> backports)
    Build the 1.61 rr27x0_1x driver against that kernel
    Install the webgui from Highpoint http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1737847
    insure that the correct driver is loaded (also blacklist mvsas)
    check /etc/hpt.cfg to make sure the rr272x0_1x is specified
    cross your fingers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!