Is Plex plugin abandoned?

• Hi all,

Just simple question.

I've noticed that Plex hasn't been updated for more than 2 months now.
    There has been many updates released to Plex Media Server, some of them major updates.
    These include Plex Web update, Improved collections and a ton of fixes.

Has the plugin been abandoned?

Regardless if it is or not, thank you for the work so far.

Thank you,
    Ralms.

• Plex is being kept current on OMV 4.x amd64. I am not sure what is happening on OMV 3.x. Current build in the repo is 1.10.1.4602 which is what is also currently being provided by Plex.tv.

The current beta version (PlexPass) is 1.11.3.4803, but betas are not available in the OMV repos.

What hardware platform and version of OMV are you on? What version of Plex is the latest you can access?

The plugin only installs Plex Media Server and offers some configuration options. It has nothing to do with providing any updates to the Plex Media Server program itself. Those updates are handled by OMV's regular update process.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The OMV Plex Plugin has nothing to do with the Plex Updates itself. Infact the Plugin hasn't been updatet since November last year. (Not negative!)

The Plex Server updates with the files from the Public Repo by Plex Inc. and they don't release Beta Builds to these Repos. So the last stable release is 1.10.0.4523 from 6. December 2017. You can check this yourself by typing this in your shell:

Bash
    apt-cache policy plexmediaserver

If you want a Beta Build with the Collections then just download the deb file and install it with dpkg -i xxx.deb manually.

OMV 4 - Ryzen 7 1700 (8 Cores / 16 Threads 65W TDP) - 32 GB DDR4 ECC
    128 GB OS SSD - 256 GB Plex SSD - 32 TB RAIDZ2 (6x8TB HGST NAS)

• I'm still running OMV3 since OMV4 is marked as Testing still.

The OMV Plex Plugin has nothing to do with the Plex Updates itself. Infact the Plugin hasn't been updatet since November last year. (Not negative!)

The Plex Server updates with the files from the Public Repo by Plex Inc. and they don't release Beta Builds to these Repos. So the last stable release is 1.10.0.4523 from 6. December 2017. You can check this yourself by typing this in your shell:

Bash
    apt-cache policy plexmediaserver

If you want a Beta Build with the Collections then just download the deb file and install it with dpkg -i xxx.deb manually.

Yeah, my bad. I didn't think of checking what was the public build.

So I can just update it manually and should be fine right? Will keep all configurations and work with the GUI correct?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Has the plugin been abandoned?

I'm trying to not have to update it in favor of using docker.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The Plex plugin doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with the performance of the Plex Media Server program.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I think you forgot to read the rest of the replies including the one I've mentioned lol

And what do those replies have to do with the assertion you made but failed to validate? Why mention anything derogatory that you yourself do not know to be true?

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no performance hit using plex in docker. Even better docker can cap cpu and memory in containers if users want to. Several plugins will now follow the same path as there is not enough people to mantain them.

Opening threads to ask about this is also another one of the reasons. The linuxserver images self updates on container restart.

There must be 20 or more threads in this forum with people asking why plex is not updated because they see the banner in the webui. I have to admit now that this was a more frequent problem in stone burner than now in Erasmus or arrakis.

• Regarding the linuxserver Plex docker being self updating. Do you know how about much lag is typical between an update of Plex Media Server made by Plex.tv and an update to the docker?

Do you know if the official docker offered by Plex.tv has any advantages over the Linuxserver build?

Do either (or any other) Plex dockers offer provisions for PlexPass users?

Thanks for any insight you might have on this.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Regarding the linuxserver Plex docker being self updating. Do you know how about much lag is typical between an update of Plex Media Server made by Plex.tv and an update to the docker?

Don't understand this question. Do you mean how the user will notice an upgrade is available? i guess depends on the banner show there in the ui. For plugin install i guess every 24 hrs when cron-apt runs and sends the notification

Do you know if the official docker offered by Plex.tv has any advantages over the Linuxserver build?

I have not used the official plex image, looks the same to me, self update, plexpass option. Is docker it just works. They have pretty similar hit numbers

Do either (or any other) Plex dockers offer provisions for PlexPass users?

Don't know, there isn't much too offer. Look at the threads here what users want? updates and plexpass

• Regarding the linuxserver Plex docker being self updating. Do you know how about much lag is typical between an update of Plex Media Server made by Plex.tv and an update to the docker?

Plex run in a (Linuxserver.io) Docker container is updated simply by restarting the container whenever the UI indicates a new version is available. So there is no delay at all between an update pushed by Plex and your ability to upgrade to that version. Or, at least, no more of a delay than every other Plex user, whether they're running Plex in a Docker or not.

The container itself doesn't need to be updated at all. My container is something like 4 months old, but it's still running the newest Plex Pass version from a few days ago.

• The updates depends on the tag you select when starting the container. Leaving default without nothing is normally latest.

In regards to the updates, here is the current tags for the official docker image:
    https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/tags/

And here for Linuxserver:
    https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/tags/

If I had to choose I would go with the official for better support to be honest.
    But they both will achieve the same.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi everyone. I managed to show the latest versions of the plex server using the omv update tab.
    following this post:

This is still going in the wrong direction. The plex plugin is going away. docker will be the only way (unless you want to install it without a plugin). There is no reason hardware decoding shouldn't work in docker with the appropriate config if hardware decoding works outside of docker.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• what you say is true. But for me the hadrware decoding works halfway.
    according to the plex site:

Zitat von plex forum
    • Move the mouse on top of the video being played. Additional details should appear.
    • When hardware acceleration is being used, you should see (hw) next to the Videoformat as shown above.

• The status text will show Video Transcoding [FORMAT] (hw) to [FORMAT] (hw).
      • The first (hw) indicates that hardware-accelerated video decoding is being used. Only certain video formats are supported for this.
      • The second (hw) indicates that hardware-accelerated video encoding is being used.
      • Depending on the video file and the server hardware, hardware acceleration can be used for decoding, encoding, or both.

If I play a file in h264 the hardware acceleration works both in decoding and in encoding, in and out of docker.If I play a file in h265, out of docker the hardware acceleration works both in decoding and in encoding while, inside docker it works only in encoding...
    Tthis is not good for me as I have several 4k files that use the h265 format that my players do not support and therefore I have to transcode it

• Offizieller Beitrag

what you say is true. But for me the hadrware decoding works halfway.
    according to the plex site:

Your docker config requires more access to hardware then. Maybe it needs a privileged container. I don't know because I don't use (or like) plex.

Tthis is not good for me as I have several 4k files that use the h265 format that my players do not support and therefore I have to transcode it

This still will not convince me to keep the plugin. players that can natively play h265 (firetv stick for example) are plentiful (and some are cheap).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Something similar to this came up regarding Emby and enabling/using VAAPI, I think, but can't remember if an encoder/decoder has to be downloaded then pointed to that within the container, sorry to be vague if I find something I'll repost.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just remembered another thing... Transcoding also requires the data drive to be mounted exec if you have your docker files on a data drive. There is a thread about doing this.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!