[boot error] mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically + mdadm: error opening /dev/md?*: No such file or directory

• Hi all,

nice to be here ... I hope I will find help here with this problem. I am an absolute bloody beginner, so please do not lose sight of this. :D

I have installed OMV on a mini-pc with an external USB 2-bay hard drive case with an integrated RAID controller, configured to RAID 1.
    :thumbup: This "case" is, as not expected otherwise, recognized as a single drive under: OMV > STORAGE> FILE SYSTEMS (btw. 1,79 TiB)

So far, so good, but ...
    :thumbdown: at the startup I receive the here listed messages:
    mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically (maybe 10 - 15 times), followed by
    mdadm: error opening /dev/md?*: No such file or directory and again followed by
    mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically (8 times)

Can someone help me to find a solution?

Greetings! :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

First, if you set up hardware RAID1, with the enclosure, OMV is going to see it as a single disk. This is normal and it's how hardware RAID works. The controller shows the RAID1 array, to the OS, as "a disk". With that in mind, you would then format what looks like a "single disk" with the filesystem of your choice, ETX4, etc. You would not try to RE-RAID the hardware RAID array, by attempting to create a software RAID1 pair in OMV. That won't work.

So, under Storage, Physical Disks, find your 1.97TB disk, click on it and wipe it. Then go to Storage, Filesystems, click on the Create button, then name and format the disk.

By configuring your USB box for single disks, you could set up the RAID1 pair with OMV. However, setting up software RAID with USB enclosures is highly discouraged and is not supported. (Also, probably the reason your post went unanswered for awhile.) There are too many problems associated with it. Of course you're free to do as you like but the total loss of all your data is a very real possibility.

My recommendation is to use single disks or, in place of RAID1, you might want to think about Rsync'ing disk1 to disk2. Traditional RAID1 is a waste of a disk. With Rsync, you'd at least have real backup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!