Update to OMV 3.XY recommended ?

• Hello - back again after a while.

I use OMV 2.x2.14 now and then for testing with very small data drives. All runs stable !

Now I bought some big drives and want a recommendation :

1. Should I update to OMV 3.XY now. What are the advantages beside the new file system that is supportes which I think
    I don't need for private use.

or

2. Is it better to wait for a stable OMV 4.XY ?

By the way , I try do run the Web GUI "Update manager" but got a very long error message ( see picture - just a part of it ).
    Update for 2.XX --> 3.XX no longer supported ?

Does this mean I've to do a clean 3.xy install.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wouldn't update 2.x to either version. I recommend doing a fresh install of OMV 4.x

Your errors are happening because the system is not resolving DNS. Did you change a network setting?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• THX

o.k. thats what I usually also prefer, but :

Will I loose all my settings and asignments ? Can I save them and reload them to 4.xy ?

I'v got a new I-Net serviceprovider and also checked with " DNS Benchmark" ( see https://www.grc.com/intro.htm )
    what is the fastest DNS server and use two of them .

grc has some litle handcoded genius freeware tools ( f.i. for Spectre / Meltdown ) beside his commercial
    "spinrite" programm.

Must I enter these new DNS adresses also to OMV , can you give me some advise.

• There is no way to migrate an existing OMV installation's settings to a fresh OMV install. The new installation will have to be configured from scratch completely by hand.

All you can do to make this process tractable is to fully document your existing installation's settings with complete notes and screenshots. And make a copy of the config.xml file to use for reference purposes only. It can not be copied to a fresh installation with the expectation that it will work. It won't.

You should also have a full and known to be restorable backup of your existing installation in case you want to go back to it or need to boot to it for further information about it that you may have missed when documenting it.

Good luck.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I really wish the site ops could do something with this problem I and others are having with their posts being held for moderation.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!