Using RSync to clone OS drive

• Earlier today I put together a new system to function as a media server for the family. I have read a fair number of posts of individuals OS drives dying and them not having a backup or clone. I am familiar with CloneZilla and since that seems to be the perfered method here; great. But my question is this:

Could one not use RSync to "backup" the OS drive to another? If the OS drive died then one would simply have to move a sata cable to the correct port or even specify in Bios what drive to boot from.

I am not familiar with RSync so I apologize if this question seems simple.
    Thanks

• I don't know if rsync is capable of copying the whole system drive files but you would still run into the problem that you would have to change the UUID of your second HDD in case of failure.
    CloneZilla is like a DD of your hard disk but it only copys the relevant bits and bytes like rysnc would do... and i think for beginners its much much easier.

And no need to apologize...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• No Problem... but you have to do this independetly from which technique you are using to clone your drive onto another one.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!