ZFS + LUKS

• Hello. I'm going to be converting my current setup to ZFS in the very near future. Is it possible to use LUKS in conjunction with ZFS? I'm currently running 3 drives in spanning mode, so I'm going to add an additional 5 drives and set those five up with ZFS Raid-Z2. Then I'll migrate my data with rsync or something and once that process completes, wipe the 3 drives running in spanning and add them to the ZFS pool. Will this work? I'll be using (8) 8TB drives in total for this setup.

Case: U-NAS NSC-810
    Motherboard: ASRock - C236 WSI Mini ITX
    CPU: Core i7-6700
    Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4-2133

• Offizieller Beitrag

Technically it will work since zfs can use a block device that LUKS creates. Not sure about boot issues due to timing since LUKS won't be unlocked at boot. Try it in a VM.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I understand that ZFS now has native encryption but I have not tried it myself.

I don't think the Debian packages have that compiled in since it is still experimental. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello. I'm going to be converting my current setup to ZFS in the very near future. Is it possible to use LUKS in conjunction with ZFS? I'm currently running 3 drives in spanning mode, so I'm going to add an additional 5 drives and set those five up with ZFS Raid-Z2. Then I'll migrate my data with rsync or something and once that process completes, wipe the 3 drives running in spanning and add them to the ZFS pool. Will this work? I'll be using (8) 8TB drives in total for this setup.

You cannot add some disks to a previous created pool. ZFS RAIDZ2 is not like RAID5. You can make a first RAIZ2 pool with your 5 disks, and later another pool (RAIDZ1 or RAIDZ2) with the 3 other disks. After, I think you could merge those two pool togeter, but with the lost of some disks compare to a 8 disks pool.
    If you want an 8 disks pool, you have to create it at once. From ZFS dev submit last year, this should be added in the next 2 years.

So I think you have to do it like I'm dong it at the moment. Extract all your datas to external disks, create your ZFS pool, and copy back the datas. Long way home... :(

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups