Aquantia network cards on OMV

• I've tried, tried and tried again, but I can't get their drivers to compile on Debian/OMV.
    Has anyone else gotten Aquantia's AQC108 or AQC107 working on Debian/OMV?
    With Debian 8 I get one error and Debian 9 another, but I haven't done any programming in years, so I'm a bit lost.
    I even updated OMV 4.x to kernel 4.14 using OMV Extras, as there should be native drivers by now, but alas, still no luck.

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbup:

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von TheLostSwede ()

• So from what I can tell, the OMV 4.13 image at the very least, it somewhat broken, as it doesn't seem to want to compile anything.
    It's possible that I'm doing something wrong, but I fired up a live image of Debian 9 and it compiled the driver just fine...

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Offizieller Beitrag

the OMV 4.13 image at the very least, it somewhat broken, as it doesn't seem to want to compile anything.

Did you install anything to compile? I would think the build-essential package would be very helpful.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yeah, otherwise it's impossible to compile anything.
    Trust me, I've spent the last two days trying to figure out what's wrong...
    Just did a clean install, let's see if that helps...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah, otherwise it's impossible to compile anything.

I wasn't sure if you just installed gcc or something. OMV is debian but I don't know what packages are installed in the Debian 9 live image. If you looked at the package list and compared them, I'm sure you could find what is missing.

Trust me, I've spent the last two days trying to figure out what's wrong...

I've written quite a few scripts to make compiling drivers easier for people using OMV... Not my first time either.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Yeah, no luck, straight back to the same situation with a clean install.

Code
    make -j4 CC=gcc -C /lib/modules/4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64/build M=/home/test/Linux-200 modules
    make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
    Makefile:62: recipe for target 'all' failed
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Any suggestions at this point are welcome, as I'm going bald from all the frustration and tearing my hair out...

The problem with the live image is that it's using kernel 4.9, not 4.14, so if I'm not missing something, the driver I compiled there, won't work either.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The problem with the live image is that it's using kernel 4.9, not 4.14, so if I'm not missing something, the driver I compiled there, won't work either.

There are plenty of drivers that need to be updated for newer kernels. So, it is very possible that your driver will not compile on 4.14. You could install the 4.9 kernel on your system and remove the 4.14 kernel. Then you won't have the problem.

• Well, it works on other distributions, so I don't see why it should be an issue with Debian/OMV.

In fact, the drivers should already be included from 4.11, but alas, not with the OMV images.

Is there any way you can install a driver that's part of the same kernel you're on without making it yourself? I can't seem to find any information about doing it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, it works on other distributions, so I don't see why it should be an issue with Debian/OMV.
    In fact, the drivers should already be included from 4.11, but alas, not with the OMV images.

Other distros enable the module in their kernel builds. File an issue with Debian if you think it should be in their standard kernel.

Is there any way you can install a driver that's part of the same kernel you're on without making it yourself? I can't seem to find any information about doing it.

$ grep AQTION /boot/config-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
    # CONFIG_AQTION is not set

Nope. You need to compile your own kernel or just a get a common network card.

• Well, this isn't exactly an uncommon product, there's a handful of companies that make cards based on the same chip...
    New, yes, but due to its relatively affordable cost, it's quite a popular solution.
    Would be great to get native support in OMV for it. Anywhere I can ask for support?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, this isn't exactly an uncommon product, there's a handful of companies that make cards based on the same chip...

I've never heard of it.

Would be great to get native support in OMV for it. Anywhere I can ask for support?

OMV doesn't maintain its own kernel. So, you need to ask Debian. Otherwise, you could install the 4.13 proxmox kernel since the module is enabled in their kernel.

• Well, it's part of the 4.11 kernel, so I guess once Debian gets their act together, it'll part of OMV as well.

I'm afraid I don't know you, but Aquantia isn't a new company. In fact, they've single handedly managed to bring down the cost of 10Gbps network cards to a much more reasonable level than it has been to date.
    You can get cards from Asus, Gigabyte and QNAP at the very least for around US$100, with other manufacturers charging no more than $150, unless it's an older card with a controller from Tehuti, but I guess those use a different driver, as the PHY from Aquantia is different.
    This year we should also see quite a few 10Gbps switches using Aquanti tech.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, it's part of the 4.11 kernel, so I guess once Debian gets their act together, it'll part of OMV as well.

Debian doesn't remove the code from the 4.14 kernel. They just don't make it as a module or compile it in. And if they haven't added it in 4.11 thru 4.14, I wouldn't hold your breath...

I'm afraid I don't know you, but Aquantia isn't a new company. In fact, they've single handedly managed to bring down the cost of 10Gbps network cards to a much more reasonable level than it has been to date.
    You can get cards from Asus, Gigabyte and QNAP at the very least for around US$100, with other manufacturers charging no more than $150, unless it's an older card with a controller from Tehuti, but I guess those use a different driver, as the PHY from Aquantia is different.
    This year we should also see quite a few 10Gbps switches using Aquanti tech.

None of the people I asked (four others and they all know enterprise hardware very well) have ever heard of them either.

• Well, I'm sorry to hear that you and your friends don't keep up to date with tech ;)
    Had they heard about Tehuti?
    And just because someone hasn't heard about something doesn't mean it's not popular.

Sure, Aquantia isn't as famous as Intel, Marvell or Broadcom, but they might give them all a run for their money if they can continue to put out affordable 5/10Gbps hardware.

They also make two and four port versions of both their 5Gbps and 10Gbps network chips and as I said, they have switch solutions on the way too.

That said, they had some issues with these cards, as they had to issue a firmware update or they stopped working in Windows after a few days.

As you can see, the drivers are native to Linux - https://github.com/torvalds/li…ers/net/ethernet/aquantia
    As to why Debian chose not to include them, I couldn't say.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I'm sorry to hear that you and your friends don't keep up to date with tech

I won't comment on that.........

Sure, Aquantia isn't as famous as Intel, Marvell or Broadcom, but they might give them all a run for their money if they can continue to put out affordable 5/10Gbps hardware.

You forgot the big one - Mellanox. Until Aquantia are on the VMware Hardware compatibility list, they will never be at my place of work. Cost means nothing. Reliability (most important) and performance are everything.

Do you work for Aquantia???

• Sorry, it was a bad attempt at a joke.

That's way out of my price range and I don't work with server grade stuff so...

No I do not.

I think for now their products are more of a client solution rather than a server solution, but I'm willing to at least to try and support companies that can make better hardware more affordable. We've been stuck using Gigabit networking for way too long.
    Consider USB 3.1 has hit 10Gbps and Thunderbolt (admittedly not quite comparable) is at 40Gbps, yet costs a fraction of what 10Gbps Ethernet costs, something has to change. The established companies haven't exactly cared about making the tech more affordable, as they've enjoyed high margins and are clearly selling quite well as it is.
    Maybe we'll see more affordable 2.5 and 5Gbps solutions, which in itself would be a step in the right direction imho.

Anyhow, this is now way off topic...

• Ok, problem solved, the long way around.

I ended up installing Debian 9.4, then rolling my own kernel, including the Aquantia driver which was part of the kernel, then finally installing OVM on top of that.

Now I just need to figure out how to make my Windows PC work ad-hoc with the NAS properly and not send the network traffic over the Gigabit Ethernet to the NAS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't know what was your issue, just ssh into my develop VM.

You're probably missing the headers

• Don't know what was your issue, just ssh into my develop VM.

You're probably missing the headers

I have no idea either, I installed the kernel headers and did everything possible that's supposed to make it work.

Anyhow, I solved the problem the long way around...
    If nothing else, I learnt a bunch of things doing it, even though I do feel like I wasted a lot of time.

Performance is at least living up to my expectations and then some.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!