Install a Desktop for use as a Media Center?

• Hello,

at the beginning my litte homeserver-nas was just used for storing of data. now i would like to use it as well as a media player. the server is located in the next room, but connected with a hdmi-cable to the tv.

my first thought was to use plex for streaming media to the tv, but plex doenst read iso's. so i am actually thinking of using kodi as media player. my question now is, how to install a desktop environment on the omv4 installation to use kodi.

would be great, if you could help me!

thanks, Alex

• Offizieller Beitrag

You would be much better off to buy a cheap arm board that supports LibreElec. They work very well.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You would be far better off with a Kodi box or a Roku stick/box, or similar things that act as a client to play your media that sits on your OMV server.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Are you using that board for your OMV server? If so, that's not what we are suggesting. You need additional hardware.

I set a neighbor up with an Amazon Fire Stick for his TV. He added the Plex app to it and he is able to stream movies from my Plex server over the internet. I think he paid less than $40 for the stick. It also has Hulu, Netflix, and a huge number of other apps he uses.

As for movies in ISO format, I started that way when I had a player that could play ISOs. The problem with that was the 4GB+ size of each ISO and the time required to rip the disks. A terrible choice unless you want to spend all your free time ripping disks and all your money on hard drives to store the ISOs on.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• yes, this is the board i use for my omv...

plex is already running on my tv, thats not the problem - the problem is, that iso-images are not supported by plex, but by kodi - and i am not interessested in converting my ripped movie collection again.

• Then build/buy yourself a cheap Kodi box as suggested. Putting a desktop environment on an OMV server is a terrible idea. Also, if you are still ripping your own movies, stop using ISOs for the output going forward. mp4 or mkv are much better choices.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!