Monitor drive spindown status?

• I would like to monitor the spindown status of my hard drives. For this, I found the following shell script which works when I call it at bootup via
    ./check_hdd_spindown.sh /dev/sda /dev/sdb >> /var/log/spindown.log

However, the script has a couple of setbacks:
    - it must always run in the background and thus uses up system resources
    - it does not integrate in the web-gui or monitoring
    - finding out how many hours a disk was spinning a day from the log alone is a pain
    Is there any easier way to monitor disk spindown status - maybe even something that integrates into the OMV monitoring?

• Is there any easier way to monitor disk spindown status

I use HDD temperature via SMART for this (using hddtemp package and a simple SNMP Extension). Drives in sleep/standby state do not answer so '0°C' is equivalent to this.

But I really wouldn't fear some script running in the background even with such an insanely low sleep interval (depending on your spindown settings any value that is lower than this is just a waste of ressources. I would at least use 600 seconds).

BTW: With some USB disks (or their SATA bridges) hdparm -C can even wake up sleeping HDDs and prevent them entering sleep state ever.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!