S.M.A.R.T. error caused by reading/writing S.M.A.R.T logs?

• OMV 4.x
    • S.M.A.R.T. error caused by reading/writing S.M.A.R.T logs?

Hello,
      in my NAS (OMV 4.1.2-1) i notice some strange S.M.A.R.T behaviour: each time i execute in OMV S.M.A.R.T -> Drives -> Information -> extended information i get new an email telling me that SMART error is increased on one of the RAID1-drives:

Source Code

1. Device: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N6LR09AL [SAT], ATA error count increased from 7 to 8
      2. Device info:
      3. WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0, S/N:WD-WCC4N6LR09AL, WWN:5-0014ee-2ba41a003, FW:82.00A82, 3.00 TB
      From the SMART informations in OMV i get the following:
      - Extended offline test afterwards passed without error
      - The errors were caused by SMART READ LOG, SMART READ WRITE, Error: ABRT.
      - The second RAID1 drives shows also these errors but right now only 4 errors instead of 8 error on the other drive

My configuration
      - I am running a RAID 1 with two WD RED 3TB
      - One additional WD RED 3TB as backup drive on a separate SATA controllter
      - One SSD Sandisk 128GB system drive

My assumptions:
      - The drives are OK
      - The implementation of the SMART interface is buggy (smartctl?)

What do you think, am i right?
      What is causing the errors and can i prevent them?

Best regards,
      B.

smartlog_wd3tb.txt
    • The drives are on the following controllers:
      - SSD Sandisk 128GB system drive on primary mainboard SATA controller ASMedia ASM1061 at 6GB/s
      - 2x WD RED 3TB with software RAID on secondary mainboard SATA controller at 3GB/s
      - Additional WD RED 3TB as backup drive on a separate PCIexpress SATA controller of type Delock (Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3132 Serial ATA Raid II?) at 3GB/s

The drives causing the SMART problems are the two RAID1 drives on the secondary controller.

Mainboard is ASRock Q1900DC-ITX.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bebass ().