NAS Hardware refresh

• Hi guys,
    I need to refresh my OMV hardware. I´ve no complains about it doing the usual stuff, like using it as a server to store files, using it for streaming to a tv, until now it perform very well.

The point is i would like to use it for another purpose, run virtual machines in it, like one or two at a most, and for that i think my hardware is not very suitable for that.

My setup is:

Intel Celeron G1820 @ 2.70
    8GB of RAM
    Motherboard H87I-PLUS

What is your opinion? Should i refresh it entirely, change the cpu?

Thanks!!!

• Hi flmaxey

Thank you for your answer. The purpose of the virtual machine is to have a machine always on, justo for me to connect to it from outside. Like establishing a vpn and then connect to it using RDP. This machine will be windows 10 and as i said is to have a available machine to do some browsing open some files, run some basic tools and nothing more, it will perform like a desktop. Another virtual machine is a linux to have the same purpose, this is just for lab testing and nothing more.

So, this linux machine will not be always started, and can be shutdown.

For what i have investigated, the 4000 series intel cpu was a great choice, it will speed up the TDP to a higher value. This will be a problem for me because i have a Fractal cube already with 6 Sata disks. The second problem is the higher value of the 4th generation cpu. This option is the best for me, but i dont know if its the best. Compare it to a I3 8th generation that have 4 cores. The used i5 price is higher. The problem with this option is that i will need to buy a new board, New CPU and new memory, the advantage is that i have a lower TDP for that.

These were my choices, but dont know what is the best one.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!