Upgrade from OMV2 to OMV4 and keep RAID array

• Hello,

I have done an installation almost 2 years ago of OMV 2 on a HP Gen 8 with 3 HDD in RAID 5 (created on the web interface).

I have now some problems with this version (can not update Plexmediaserver for example), so I will upgrade the OS to the latest version (4.x).

My question is : will I have problems with the raid array to get it back? Because if I understood well, it is a "software array", so .. depending on the OMV?

Is there any specific procedure to follow?

Thank you very much :)

• There is no reason you can't update Plex, but you will have to do it manually, and you must use the correct package which is not available from Plex.tv. You can get x86/MAD OMV 2.x compatible Plex packages here:

Code
    https://cloud.chrisdos.com/index.php/s/KOloOkfSoXUWPSU

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Seriously...

I've tried one day to update with the .deb on plex.tv and it was a disaster.

I've then found somewhere on this forum that OMV 2 couldn't take the updates so I thought the only solution for me was to update OMV.

I try to do that, thank you.

However, if one day I want to update OMV, do you have the answer of my initial question?

Thanks!

EDIT : I had some trouble to download the file (stopped before) but after 5 or 6 try, I got it. Then I just launch the command "sudo dpkg -i the_deb_file.deb" and that's all.... it works now.. Thank you!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von azn0viet () aus folgendem Grund: Feedback

• If you use the Plex Media Server deb packages available from Plex.tv on OMV 2.x they will not work. They are the wrong packages

The only currently supported way to update Plex on OMV 2.x is to manually download the proper package and manually install it using "dpkg -i packagename" in a root shell.

It is possible to upgrade OMV 2.x to 3.x or maybe even directly to 4.x. But the chances of success are very small. I have personally accomplished this (OMV 2.x to 3.x) but it took three or four attempts, and in the final try I seem to remember I had to remove every plugin from my OMV 2.x to get the upgrade to complete without failures.

If you are going to try this, you will need to have a verified to be restorable image of your current OMV 2.x installation available to use to restore the system back the way it was if the upgrade fails. Once restored you can try the upgrade again. The only thing you have to lose here is time if the upgrade fails. At that point you get to decide if you want to spend more time and try again, or start over with a fresh install from scratch.

You shouldn't have any problems with your software RAID when upgrading OMV. However, if you wind up doing a fresh install of OMV, then you should disconnect the drives that make up your RAID array and reconnect them after the install is complete. It wouldn't hurt to have a full backup of your RAID array too.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thank you for these information.

I'm sorry but when I said "upgrade to OMV 4", I meant "do a fresh install of OMV 4".

- Back up your current boot drive and test the backup.
    (This would give you a fall back to OMV2, in the event that OMV4 doesn't work for you.)

Zitat von gderf

If you are going to try this, you will need to have a verified to be restorable image of your current OMV 2.x installation available to use to restore the system back the way it was if the upgrade fails.

I've bought another 120 Go SSD to do that and keep the current boot drive safe. So it should be ok to back up in case of problem.

- Boot, mount the array.

Zitat von gderf

You shouldn't have any problems with your software RAID when upgrading OMV. However, if you wind up doing a fresh install of OMV, then you should disconnect the drives that make up your RAID array and reconnect them after the install is complete. It wouldn't hurt to have a full backup of your RAID array too.

This is my main problem. I'm a little bit scared that after having installed OMV 4, I'm not able to get my data back.

And I have something like 4 To and can't backup all of that. But maybe I'm scared for nothing and there is no reason to fail..

However, my initial problem is solved (Plex), so I'll do it later.

Thank you again :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!