OMV4 Performance Issues

• I had an external RAID5 array attached via USB 3 to a Windows 10 PC and I could get 220 MB/s read and write performance.

I attached this same RAID5 array to a computer (ROCK64 = 4 x Core ARM chip with 4GB RAM) running OMV4 via USB 3. This OMV4 computer is connected to my other computers via Gigabit Ethernet.

Using SMB/CIFS I get 90 MB/s read and write out of my RAID5 array (40% of the performance).

Using NFS I get 12 MB/s read and write out of my RAID5 array (only 5% of the performance). Unfortunately I have a linux application that is very specific and will only work over NFS...

I expected to loose a little performance going over a network and through another computer, but nothing like this.

Since I have a UPS in Windows 10 I chose the following device options to improve the USB performance: "Enable write caching on the device" and "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device"

In OMV4 is there a way to check the underlying performance of the RAID5 array to take the network out of the equation and have a fair comparison?

In OMV4 is there a way to improve the performance of external USB hard disks devices?

In OMV4 is there a way to improve the performance of NFS to something acceptable?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Using SMB/CIFS I get 90 MB/s read and write out of my RAID5 array (40% of the performance).

I hope you aren't expecting to get 220 MB/s over gigabit when it maxes out at about half of that.

Using NFS I get 12 MB/s read and write out of my RAID5 array (only 5% of the performance). Unfortunately I have a linux application that is very specific and will only work over NFS...

What options are you using for your nfs share?

In OMV4 is there a way to check the underlying performance of the RAID5 array to take the network out of the equation and have a fair comparison?

Yep. From the command line, I would change to a directory on your array and the dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dd bs=1M count=10000 conv=fdatasync status=progress && sync

In OMV4 is there a way to improve the performance of external USB hard disks devices?

Some usb controllers have better drivers than others on Linux.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!