OVM 3.0.94: GRUB boot loader cannot be installed

• Hi all,

I'm trying to install Open Media Vault in version 3.0.94 from a CD on my Dell PowerEdge T30. First of all I unplugged all internal and external storage devices except my cd drive and my m.2/PCIe Samsung EVO 960 SSD. The SSD is completely new, no other / further installations. The latest OMV 4 version didn't start installing at all / was not recognized.

The installation runs until I get the error message "An installation step failed [...] The failing step is: Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk."

I already read here in the forum to unplug every storage except the target storage and the one containing the installation files. Others said, that OMV always tries to install on /dev/sda -> no clue how to check / ensure that my SSD is /dev/sdb and not /dev/sdb.

I currently have no clue what I could try next. Would be very kind if you had some recommendations to me. I'd prefer to use OMV as my home server's OS instead of FreeNAS,..

Thanks and kind regards,

Felix

• I am running 0MV 4 on my T30. I am also running bios 1.02 so that I can use the M.2 as my boot drive. Grub was not loading for OMV 3 in my early attempts.
    Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
  • Hi,

thanks for your responses! I'll try again to install OMV 4 - probably it earlier didn't work because I had the wrong boot order (I had equal problems with OMV 3 until I changed the order).

If this shouldn't work, I'll install Debian 9 and follow the instructions for installing OMV manually.

I won't get to try it before Thursday...

Thanks and kind regards,

Felix

• Hi,

as a short response: The OMV 4.x installation worked for me now without any problems. Also the GRUB boot loader was installed successfully.

Thanks once again and kind regards,

Felix

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!