My NAS move from FreeNAS Muad Dib to OMV on a new systems.

• Hello Everybody,

I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself.

My name is Christian and I am based in Germany, I have same older (2009) experience with a FreeNAS 0.6.9 based selfbuild, that runs fine up to now with 2 2TB WD10EADS disks.
    That NAS was sporadically on only and based on a Gigabyte C7 Board with 1GHz Processor and 512 MB of RAM.
    It booted from Compact Flash 256 MB and had a 100TX LAN adapter onboard.
    It was running a SW RAID 1 1TB Mirror

The reasons that now persuaded me to go away from that working systems are:
    - Network architecture has grown to 1 GBit LAN and allows more throughput - NAS becomes bottleneck. ITX board not upgradeable other than with 1GBit PCI card. It is above my knowledge to find and implement a suitable 1GBit PCI card supported by FreeBSD
    - SATA ports are limited to 2, boot device is attached to PATA (Compact Flash)
    - I want to grow the RAID to RAID 5 or 6 with 5 disks a 1 TB to reuse the old disks to grow storage space (Although in ~10 years I did not manage to fill 1TB, only half of it :) )
    - Implementation of backup I have never gotten down to...this should change

With all that in mind I searched the market for suitable devices:
    - was looking for affordable miniservers from various brands like QNAP , Synology and HP... etc... etc... Relatively soon I decided to go for a self build NAS again for cost reasons. It still seems cheaper and more expandable/flexible. Probably not as userfriendly.
    - shall be as expandable as possible for limited cost - SATA ports (5 min), Backup eSATA prefered,1 GBit LAN and (!!) Wifi to move gigabytes around. I plan wifi as a nice-to-have for the reason I could delete the cables when sacrifcing bandwidth. I'd be interested if this works.

Finally I settled on a used AMD E350 2 Core ITX Board, ASUS E45M1-Deluxe, which I got of eBay for an affordable price, plus 4 GB (2x2) of Kingsten DDR3 10600.
    There are 5 SATA onboard and 1 eSATA port for backup, all 6GB/s, there is Wifi and USB3 as well....Wifi sits in a small MiniPCIe slot that could pot. be used for something else like bootdrive on SATA controller or something like this.

I'd like to reuse my old 3.5" WD disks, they are old but still good, to keep cost low.
    I'd like to extend this with 2x 2.5" disks for power dissipation and space reasons. I can go for 3.5" drives too though. There is on other 1 TB drive on my TV for USB recordings I can potentially rip off that too... My Panasonic though does not record onto networks unfortunatly...
    An option is to sell the 2 WD 3.5" disks and obtain 4-5 new 1 TB disks in smaller formfactor and with less dissipation.
    The performance of nowadays 2.5" drives is quite nice and they should be good enough for a that file server.

My existing case should be re-used, with mods, it can handle up to 5x 3.5"drives with some hacksaw work.
    I don't want to go much larger, the current one is nice and small and can basically placed everywhere.
    I have to admit though I fell in love with the white Fractal Node 304... very nice housing with 6 3.5" bays in a more desktop, cubic style!

And off course - after reading across the net - openMediaVault should be the firm/Software.
    OMV will be residing on an old 40 GB 1.8" HDD I have, which shall be connected to USB. Hope booting from USB with IDE attached drive works with no issues but I have my doubts.
    Fallback will be a cheap 32GB SSD on one of the SATAports, may it be a PCIe or MiniPCIe attached one. But that cost I'd like to save first for an additional datadisk.

What I always disliked about freeNAS 0.6.9 Muad'Dib that it wasn't very easialy controlable for the non-BSD-Pro.
    I had my limits with unix like systems but once it worked I basically never touched it again.
    Being afraid that the UFS filesystem will not mount/rebuild in a failure case not knowing what to do then is also on reason for change.
    This is one thing i am going to try during the setup process: Disconnecting drives, Will backup work and so forth.

Of course I also have questions.

Here are some:
    - Disk combi: 2x 3.5" SATA II drives and newer 3x 2.5" SATA III in a RAID 5 or 6: will this have performance issues? Anybody of you guys have a similar combi?
    - Booting: I do have a USB attached IDE drive for booting. But that probably doesn't work because of missing support during boot right?
    - Concatenating RAID1s: can a 1 TB and a 2 TB Mirror be concatenated to one 3TB drive in OMV? Creating a pretty secure RAID 10 would waste a lot of space when using 2x1TB and 2x2TB...

Thanks

• booting: OMV need ( works better) if you use SATA disk, and use all disk space, so I personally use and old 2,5" 40GB Disk to boot and not waste space and reserve 3,5 BIG disk for data storage.

• Thanks.

The reasoning behind this is I do not want to waste any SATA port for the Systemdisk as I need them all for a larger RAID 5 or 6.
    eSATA shall be used for backups only.

would OMV allow for booting over a separate small SATA controller? If read somewhere here that one guy was successful in using a PCIi (miniPCIe) SATA controller.....

Too I would like all storage devices to be attached physically to the Mainboard rather than a controller to not have issues with the RAID later.....

Thanks!

• you can use a good brand USB Disk and use it, but please read first the forum, is not the recomended way to install OMV and you can have a bad idea of OMV that is not real.

• If not really necessary I'd avoid raid 5 and instead do daily backups. Striping a few drives if you need a bigger on is OK, then have a huge hd for backup purposes (rsync or there's an urbackup plugin).
    Raid 1 or 5 I'd only use if high availability is needed (eg you run a Nextcloud instance for several people).

• Hey guys,

Some news. I just received the new HW altogether. Stupid Mistake: forgot the CPU12V X/
    Off course it wasn't working that way.

Quickly fiddling 12V from an adapter to the CPU made the system work (even with a 20pin rather than 24 pin ATX PSU connector)

Some more good news, I have video out on HDMI and can enter Bios ok.
    Too, my 40 GB Toshiba IDE disk attached to a USB port is at least recognized on the USB2 interface :thumbup:
    Not so sure yet if is able to boot once an OS is installed.

I have downloaded and .iso image of OMV 4.0.14 onto a 2GB KingstonDataTraveler, that was booting something called UBootnetint or so. I can choose between some options.
    All (after Keyboard setup etc.) end at a request for a CD-ROM drive...

Am I using the incorrect Image?
    What version is recommended?
    My Board is an AMD A450.

Thanks

• Hi guys,

more good news!
    E45M1-I Deluxe can boot from both USB and the IDE drive attached via USB.
    Yesterday night I was able to install.

Something must have been wrong with the USB sticks, the board was a bit this and that about my selection of sticks.

Finally I found one that installed 4.13 seemlessly onto the IDE attached 40GB Systemdrive.

All that finished yesterday and I can now play around with disk setups and will check the web-access today...

Regarding Diskselection:

I was planning 3 additional HGST HTS721010A9E630 Deskstar disks. They are quite performant and silent. Not the cheapest ones but good disks in comparisions and not so much foreseeable bootlenecks.

Any comments here?

As mentioned my NAS will not be on all the time for now, it will be addressed when I exchange data with it otherwise should be off (WOL wakable), like my previous setup.

Of course the NAS disks would be nice to have but I think it is overkill for my application, they do cost ~20€ more per disk...

Re the Setup:
    For Piece of initally mind I wanted a stripe of Mirrors (that makes it abit more reliable).
    You are right I don't need high accessability or 24/7.
    Hence it may potentially make more sense to have regular backups and just a JBOD?
    I reckon with the frequency of use I have backing up once a week or on demand would do...
    JBODs too should be easily upgradable.

From 1TB RAID1 now I would end up with 2 TB as JBODs (upgradable) and the imminent Invest would limit itself to only one more large eSATA backupdisk (5 TB or so) for now...

This has Charm I need to say...

• Another option that preserves all your SATA connections is to use a USB DOM (Disk on Module) as a System disk. I use one of these for my OMV. Its essentially a simple SSD that connects via an internal USB Header. Because my motherboard has a fixing post to secure it, I use a DOM with a horizontal orientation, as in the pictures. But, vertically oriented ones are available as well, for motherboards without a fixing post.

This has the advantage of keeping the drive inside the case, rather than externally connected via a USB cable.

• Thanks! Good hint. I wasn't aware of such doms.
    I was looking for USB attachable ssds on msata instead.
    Currently my old 1.8" hdd disk works. It is a bit noisy though. More noisy than I expected after raping it up in foam.

Too I yesterday modified the housing for more ventilation.
    Hope to post some pictures soon...

• Hi guys.

Built is progressing.

Funnily OM 4 was booting fine into the webinterface, I was able to access it.

I said WAS.

Once I connected the ZFS formatet old 1 TB HDDs I have in order to see what happens and to format them.
    Sinse then OMV4 is refusing to boot through and hangs up in RAMFS.
    In the meantime I have the other 1TB Disks installed, completely blank and all appear in BIOS.
    Systems is also still booting from the USb attached IDE drive.

It now though does through several messages that mdadm: No Array found in config file or automatially...

Then it exits to RAMFS saying ALERT! /dev/sdb1 does not exist. Driopping to a shell!

I found similiar issues when searching google for it but none revealed a solution other than to go back to OMV3.
    I have already tright to re-install systemdisk only with oMV4 but that didn't solve it. same "error", although bott and installation process works and finished fine...

Does OMV require all pot. array disks to be present during isntallation??

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does OMV require all pot. array disks to be present during isntallation??

No. Actually just the opposite. We recommend you have no data disks attached during installation. Did you install the zfs plugin before attaching the disks?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi.

I am not aware of pluging in ZFS... I probably have not.

Going back to OMV3 solved the issue and in the meantime I have all my disks visible after some bIOS fiddling.

My USb attached IDE drive continues do deactivate in BIOS when other SATA disks are attached.
    Allin all I have all 6 Disks online as mentioned.
    With the newly purchased 3 x 2.5"1TB HDDs I formed a Raid5 which was build successfully and is "clean".

The other two ZFS disks from the previous 1TB mirror are also visible as /dev/sda to sde. sdf is my USB boot and system drive.

Time to introduce the build a bit more:

some painted parts in black. Old housings modified to carry 5 3.5" disk max.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsux…20180506_130253.jpg?Raw=1

The ASUS E45M1-I Deluxe (5 SATA6G, 1 eSATA6G, USB3 support and WiFi)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fvx…20180506_130314.jpg?Raw=1

...in housing...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kv8o…20180506_131422.jpg?Raw=1

...selfmade Cooler bracket to hold and attach to M2 ATX PSU and Mainboard - cools PSU (can run passive)...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/17bj…20180506_134340.jpg?Raw=1

..PSU prep and assembly...shortened ATX Cable myself and added harnes for SATA drives
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvwl…20180506_135155.jpg?Raw=1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhwt…20180506_135316.jpg?Raw=1

...Assembled in housing and wired up. I need to admit I want some casemodding on the NAS :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3mb…20180506_141138.jpg?Raw=1

The drivebracket in place. Basically unnecessary i.t.e. as the drives are handing on the ceiling with Aluminium profiles :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2xx…20180506_151722.jpg?Raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2w6p…20180506_151850.jpg?Raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/248x…20180506_151903.jpg?Raw=1

Fan gratings selfmade and painted..
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/41s4…20180506_154026.jpg?raw=1
    So far soesn't look too bad

• Hi.

I am not aware of pluging in ZFS... I probably have not.

Going back to OMV3 solved the issue and in the meantime I have all my disks visible after some bIOS fiddling.

My USb attached IDE drive continues do deactivate in BIOS when other SATA disks are attached.
    Allin all I have all 6 Disks online as mentioned.
    With the newly purchased 3 x 2.5"1TB HDDs I formed a Raid5 which was build successfully and is "clean".

The other two ZFS disks from the previous 1TB mirror are also visible as /dev/sda to sde. sdf is my USB boot and system drive.

I've read it shall be possible to mount UFS from FreeNAS into the debian linux read only and copy data around.

I have the NAS Raid 5 and a 2 separate Disk (that form the mirror).

Any idea (for less epirenced Usery) how I can mount both RAID md0 and sdd and sde as separate devices and have data copied from thre UFs Mirror to the (ext4?!) FS on the raid?

• Hmm... I created a RAID5 on the 3 small 2.5ers.... I am unsure what FS to put on them now.... after some reading I am tempted to go to btrfs...

But I am unsure about the manual stuff you have to do with this (mounting, building raid if required, backup, asf). Also I am not sure if btrfs will have the same HW requirements like zfs in terms of RAM and CPU support.

My system is not powerful and RAM is limited to 4 GB.

As mentioned my NAS is powered on on request, no 24/7 availability needed. The disk in it too are not 24/7NAS.

I am currently using 5 1TB disks to get the max out of the 5SATA ports the board offers and max out space incl. old disks I had.
    As far as I understood adding unequal disks (!=1TB) is possible in btrfs.
    Too, it seems transcoding from ext4 to btrfs and vice versa is possible...

Any suggestions?

Odd thing I found: The USB attached IDE disk is sometimes not available during but. This may be due to power up problems of 5V which are protected on Motherboard with a PTC Fuse to limit current. The disk during start up may consume more leading to issues when starting. Now supplied the disk with fixed 5V from PSU. I am curious if this solves the issues.

Too, the System after applieing external 12V to system won't start over WOL, one manual start is required.
    When i power down the unit per WebUI (shutdown or standby), I am able to wake the system again...

• Some time has past and I made some progress but also encounters various time consuming issues with OMV.

- I was able to mount my UFS disks readonly and copied all data to an external eSATA disk. I compared the result with diff -rq.
    first both UFS disk vs each other (was Raid1) then with the USB backup (via a windows PC.
    Both diffs did not flag anything . To be safe I compared rsults too via windows tools and that showed some differences, so to be safe I made a freefilesync copy of the contetns of NAS to the eSATA in a separate folder.

- I hope the old data is safe now.
    Nevertheless I haven't got a good feeling about this.

- In my interest to run ZFS I prepared the sytem with the plugins and updates (which I also found a bit complicated). Finally I decided to stay away from zfs as I do not understand it deep enough (especially as I do not understand so much about linux).
    I simply will Raid5 an ext4 Which I hope in emergency I can rebuilt easyily with a USB Linux.

- System now is completed, painted (:)), all wired up finally and running from a Dell 19V 130W Notebook PSU with a Pico PSU board 120W.

Issues:
    - after I freefilesynced yesterday and hit the power button for the omv to shutdown (which it did ) it doesn't start anymore: It says failed to start Enable File System Qoutes.
    This is likely because I removed any services and all that that had to do with my eSATA disk that was - once monúnted . not possible to be unmounted again. So OMV complained every boot the drieve is not present.
    Strange for an eSATA driver to not check this. But how should it know... stupid.

- I guess there may have been some network issues too. The NAS has WiFi. So has the Sink laptop, but its also wired via dock.
    it happend when freefilesyncing that the throughput dropped down to 1-2 MBy/s, whereas is was up to 70 MBy/s before. Stopping the filesync action, decativating WiFi first on the Laptop, and when this all happend again also on the FritzBox Router, that rectified the issue and the systems went up to 50-60 MBy/s again...
    No idea what this is, maybe router ?!

as mentioned :
    It doesn't boot anymore.

I now need to find out why (one more last time, as I have encountered too many things like this)...
    Especially the eSATA backup (the removeable driver mounts and cannot easily be unmounted, as the systems doesn't tell me, WHY it is possible to not unmount it!) really pisses me off.
    To the Backup could be a bit more sophitcated. Maybe a bit like freefilesync, which is relatively intuitive for a backup tool and works fairly ok.

I recall there wasn't that much trouble involved in the FreeNAS I build 10 years ago, but that also was far lex complex.

PS: Almost forgot: Can't access neither SSH nor webGUI , only console...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Especially the eSATA backup (the removeable driver mounts and cannot easily be unmounted, as the systems doesn't tell me, WHY it is possible to not unmount it!) really pisses me off.

If it is referenced, you can't unmount it. This is done so you don't unmount a drive in use. If you disconnect a drive that has been mounted in the filesystem tab, it can cause boot issues as well.

To the Backup could be a bit more sophitcated. Maybe a bit like freefilesync, which is relatively intuitive for a backup tool and works fairly ok.

There are a few other backup tools. Granted most of them are designed to have the drive always mounted.

I recall there wasn't that much trouble involved in the FreeNAS I build 10 years ago, but that also was far lex complex.

I guess it is just what you are used to. Last time I tried FreeNAS, it seemed much more complex than OMV. We have lots of videos showing how things are done if something doesn't make sense. OMV isn't a clone of FreeNAS so many things are done very differently.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well OK. Possible I didn't understand correctly. And forgive me if I compare with a Windows system.
    When backing up in windows say to a USB drive it is pluging in the device, setting up the backuptool with some clicks and let it copy then. When done the drive can be USB-ejected.

I would like this to work the same with an eSATA drive, hence I installed the USB/eSATA Backup plugin.
    And this worked fine.
    But as I want to hotplug this drive (I do not want to leave it connected all the time for good reason but store it away in another place), how can it be unplugged?
    As soon as it is reference in any job or the like it is impossible to unplug it...This way it could as well be an internal drive.

Regarding the booting issue the problem the console flags is Starting Enable file System Qoutas fails and ends in emergency mode.
    Trying what is written then

systemctl status quotaon.service

and  journalctl -xb 

tells me that a

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-StorageRaid5 couldn't be found on /dev/md0 RaidThe service exited with status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT

Also something pointing to my 4 TB backup-harddisk:
    Unit dev-disk-by/x2dlabel-Bespin_BACKUP_4TB.device has failed.

and:
    systemd[1]: Dependancy failed for /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Bespin_BACKUP_4TB <-- this i understand somehow, as the 4TB disk is not present, but why is system not booting because of that???
    Is something wrong with the raid as the previous message points to md0?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!