Add-on sata card

• I've done a couple fresh installs before I figured out the problem. Now that I know the problem I don't know what to do about it.

After installing on SSDD (sda1) and re-boot, my system tries to find the boot files on my data drives.

It starts to boot fine but when it tries to create mount point at the end of the boot it says the directories can't be found on sda1.

So, when I have one sata card installed the system boots fine. When I install a different card my system won't boot because it can't find directories on sda1. I think that second sata card somehow gets in line first for allocating drives when OMV starts labeling them with sda1, sdb1, sdc1....

So obviously I just stop using that card. But am I correct in what's happening? And if I am then how can I fix it in case I need to use an add-on sata controller?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know what version of omv or hardware you are on. I guess an older one. I would look at your /etc/fstab and change the /dev/sda1 type mounts to uuid type mounts. Also in your bios or the controller bios you may be able choose the boot drive.

Backup your /etc/fstab first.

If you make it idiot proof, somebody will build a better idiot.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von donh ()

• It boots. It boots to Busybox after it says it can't find mount points.

Thats what I'm curious about. When I slide in this one card, my system boots half way and then can't find directories on the boot drive.

• It's all good now. Through no effort of my own.

So, I booted up with no data drives and logged in through the web interface and let it run a bit to do whatever it might need to do. Then I installed the "good" card and added drives. Everything was fine, I decided to see what would happen if I installed the "bad" card. And now my system boots properly but that new card still took drives sda and sdb. My boot drive is now on sdc. So my guess was correct. And donh was also correct that fstab should use the uuid for my boot drive. I looked at fstab and this is what it had done:

# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=2fb896f5-875a-4090-817b-254d9a8c79c1 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=c885a499-ebe2-4b5d-ba00-3677c1e9cd98 none swap sw 0 0

So all is good now. But I still wonder why my system would pick the add-on card as it's first device when scanning the available sata ports. At least thats what I think is going on. Maybe I'll check the manual. Does anybody else notice add-on cards taking priority?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!