Unable to install/boot OMV from my new setup

• Hi,

I've been struggling for days now getting OMV to work on my new hardware.

Motherboard: Gigabyte B360M D3H
    CPU: Intel Core i3-8100
    SSD + 4GB RAM

I have no idea what's happening but I can't boot from the usb disk I created with the OMV4 iso.

When I insert a usb with win10 iso it works perfectly
    When I insert the OMV4 usb in my other computer it works perfectly

I have removed the ssd from the server, put it in my other pc, boot from usb and installed OMV4 on it. Works perfectly
    I put the SSD back in my server to test, doesn't find any bootable media

Is there anything I'm potentially missing?
    I'm using "openmediavault_4.1.3-amd64.iso"

• Which version of Debian are you using?

I had no problem with my Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi with Debian 9, nor with the same OMV ISO you tried.
    My board has two different Intel Ethernet controllers and both worked fine. I presume you have an i219V.

How did you create the ISO? Try using https://etcher.io/ it's very simple to use and reliable.
    Also, press F12 to boot from the USB drive, do not use UEFI boot.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Which version of Debian are you using?

I had no problem with my Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi with Debian 9, nor with the same OMV ISO you tried.
    My board has two different Intel Ethernet controllers and both worked fine. I presume you have an i219V.

How did you create the ISO? Try using https://etcher.io/ it's very simple to use and reliable.
    Also, press F12 to boot from the USB drive, do not use UEFI boot.

Hi

I have installed the latest version of Debian (I have tried 2 of the latest so far), in this case it was Debian Cinnamon. Maybe I should try to install plain debian?

But best case would be to just get OMV4 installed right away of course... I don't know why it doesn't want to install on my motherboard...
    I have created iso's on usb with countless apps, etcher, rufus, win32, LiLi, etc...

When I put the usb in my other computer I can install omv without any problems, but when I put it in the server with the Gigabyte motherboard it doesn't get recognized...

• Hi
    I have installed the latest version of Debian (I have tried 2 of the latest so far), in this case it was Debian Cinnamon. Maybe I should try to install plain debian?

But best case would be to just get OMV4 installed right away of course... I don't know why it doesn't want to install on my motherboard...
    I have created iso's on usb with countless apps, etcher, rufus, win32, LiLi, etc...

When I put the usb in my other computer I can install omv without any problems, but when I put it in the server with the Gigabyte motherboard it doesn't get recognized...

Ok, first of all, stick with etcher, it works.

Secondly, you might need to change some settings in the motherboard UEFI/BIOS (also make sure you're using the most recent version), as Debian doesn't like the same settings as Windows.

Under BIOS change Windows 8/10 Features to Other OS, CSM Enabled and Storage Boot Option Control to Legacy.

When you start the system with the USB drive with OMV 4.x or Debian 9 on it, press F12 to select boot device, then select Legacy boot from the USB device, not UEFI, as this will not work.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Thanks for the tips. I will try when I get home!

Edit: Something else I have tried is putting the ssd in my other computer and install OMV on it.

But when I put it back in my new server it doesn’t find anything bootable...

I find that strange, eventough it’s different hardware it should find something to boot from ?

• Hi,
    I got the same issues with OMV4. I have a Gigabyte J3455N-D3H with Intel J3455 and don't know why but OMV, UEFI and this board don't like each other. I had to disable UEFI completly. The other thing was to use a USB2 port, not USB3 to boot the USB drive. The stick was made with rufus 3.18 and with all these settings its now working.
    Hope this will help you too.

Greetz from Darmstadt, GER
    strohann

I'm from Germany so feel free to talk in german to me ;)

• Why is that strange? If you have different UEFI/BIOS settings between the two systems, it won't work, as once again, Debian/OMV doesn't support UEFI boot, so you need to set everything to Legacy. Clearly your other system is set to Legacy.

On top of that, did you select the right boot device? As this doesn't always happen automagically. To test, you can always press F12 on boot and select the device you want to boot from. And again, don't select the UEFI option, as it won't boot.

• If it doesn't boot, assuming you selected the right device, then the device isn't bootable.

• If it doesn't boot, assuming you selected the right device, then the device isn't bootable.

It doesnt show anything bootable when I press F12.

But when I put the same usb in my other computer I can perfectly install OMV.

So must be something with the bios uefi that doesnt wanna do it. I almost just wanna get another board lol would be the easiest :p

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• Which means something went wrong with the creation of the bootable device.
    If the UEFI/BIOS doesn't see a bootable device, it won't list it, it's that simple.

Did you update to the latest UEFI release which is F3 for that board?

• Which means something went wrong with the creation of the bootable device.
    If the UEFI/BIOS doesn't see a bootable device, it won't list it, it's that simple.

Did you update to the latest UEFI release which is F3 for that board?

Yes I have flashed to F3.

But if my other pc can see the usb stick, boot from it and install, I would think the usb is fine though?

edit: I made progress!! I found some other options in the BIOS which alowed me to turn on more legacy stuff.

Now it showed the USB, but when I boot from it, it says "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt"

edit: ok I fixed that aswell!!

I'm getting the OMV4 installation menu :D

Now I just gotta fix my network card... Because it can't install it within the instalation :(

edit: I'm gonna go to the shop and get a USB Ethernet adapter to try out and install everything.

edit: Successfully installed it with a usb ethernet adapter! Just gonna keep using that, it's gigabit so it's gotta be the same as my motherboard.

edit: After the install with the usb ethernet adapter it automatically recognized my onboard eth adapter so I can use that :D

• So I managed to install, boot, get it to work.

But when I attach my storage disks it's not booting anymore. Eventhough I have removed them from the boot priority.

Getting this then. Should i format them first with my other pc? I moved them from a qnap nas, they are empty but in raid5 still maybe from the qnap?

Edit: did a format of the drive, still doesnt boot. When I disconnect the drive it boots fine

• Try removing all partitions on them, as QNAP has OS stuff on the drives. A format wouldn't remove that.

Good to hear you made some progress though. You seem to have a few too many issues though.

• I have removed all the partitiond on a disk but it didnt help.
    I now installed debian9 and installed omv on top. Debian does accept the disks so I’m trying from there

I format the drives in my windows box, wipe them in OMV and then when I want to greate a file system I'm getting:
    Invalid RPC response
    Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusJegMrw' (size=0).

edit:

Eventhough I got those errors I was able to mount all my drives. Will everything be ok or should I worry?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!