My first NAS in HP 8300SFF

• Hello!
    I build my first NAS on the HP 8300SFF. My question is what on what to install the system? The PC has only 4x SATA ports (I wants to use RAID.) Install the system on 1 disk or maybe on a pendrive.
    The second question is to configure the raid in OMV or bios?

• There is room for two hard drives maximum in the 8300 case, if you remove the optical drive (it may fit another two over the PCI-e/PCI slots with a bit of modding). So if you want to use the case, it would be OMV on pendrive (which is not great - personally wouldn't do that as the USB pen drives life is generally shortened - there is an add-on that lengthens the life of the drive) and two drives in RAID, again my preference would be hardware RAID every time over software RAID, and preferably no RAID at all (lost too much with degraded RAID partitions or a hard drive failure) so I tend to run two drives or two NAS which are backed up with each other and backed up to external storage. The alternative that has worked for me in the past is a PCI or PCI-e eSATA card that supports NVQ and external hard drive enclosure that supports RAID (not a cheap solution, but works).
    A better solution than a USB drive is a cheap, and you can get them cheap from EBAY, Disk on Module (DOM). They use these for industrial setups (ie to run CNC machines) or in thin clients to run windows CE and can get them in SATA, IDE (40 and 44pin) and USB using the internal motherboard pin header. Bare minimum OMV install 4Gb, start adding add-ons and look at 8Gb, media serving (ie using the PLEX media add-on) use 16Gb. Hope this gives you some ideas...

HP N54L Microserver, 20Gb Intel SSD, 4Gb RAM runing OMV 4.X
    HP N54L Microserver 20Gb Intel SSD, 8Gb RAM running OMV 4.X
    and loads of other PC's and NAS... OMV by far the best....
    (P.S. I hate Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98se, 98 and 95 - I have lost hours of my life to this windows virus)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MrT10001 ()

• I have a special adapter instead of a CDROM where I can insert 3 disks
    Linka

So 2 disks in RAID not to do? I will use one disk for the system in that case

HP on the motherboard has 4 sata inputs.

• My personal approach for a home NAS is no RAID (but that's me)... Minimum 2 drives for RAID and better off identical too (same size, speed and brand if possible). The adapter supports 1 x 3.5" or 2x 2.5" so that would give you at least two drives that you could RAID (wouldn't use 2.5" drives in a NAS unless the operating system is on it - you can get 2.5" NAS drives (WD RED) but they don't take the usage a 3.5" drive can take). You could than get a small SSD or DOM and hang it off a SATA port, tape it up with insulating tape so it doesn't cause any issues (no bare metal) and leave it hanging over the PCI/PCI-e ports. The SSD's I am using in my NAS setups are 2nd hand off EBAY, 1 has been running for over 3 years solid the other is slightly younger, but I don't know the hammer they got from the previous user(s). Also from experience, I avoid using standard hard drives in a NAS. Moved over to NAS specific hard drives (WD Red, Seagate Ironwolf, Hitachi Deskstar NAS) and did my home work on what was reliable - avoid 3TB's and used 2TB's or 4TB's. 5TB drive gave me no ends of trouble for some reason formatting was an issue. 6TB WD Red I got second hand is still going now... Hope this helps...

(P.S. I hate Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98se, 98 and 95 - I have lost hours of my life to this windows virus)

• I got the same "problem" on my system. I solved it first with a pendrive but now I'm using an external 120GB SSD attached to the system with USB3 and it works good since 5 months

I'm from Germany so feel free to talk in german to me ;)

• My bad I somehow saw the incorrect item. Yes that adapter has room for 1 x 3.5" drive and two 2.5" drives. Still wouldn't use 2.5" drives in a NAS, only for the operating system..

• I have the same disks. raid wants to bet on 3.5 "and the system I think will bet 2.5". How best to set a raid or not set it because it can protect data in some other way. OMV has to be smb, openvpn, backup station, web server, etc.

• Best RAID is RAID1 as one drive is mirrored to the other drive (always use the same size drives, but from experience use the same brand, speed, size and model). That means data integrity if one drive goes south. Mirroring occurs in the background, and this leads to its disadvantage which is speed - slow - and is why I don't use it preferring manually backing up across multiple NAS and external hard drives (lost far too much data in the past). RAID0 is for performance, but lose one drive and your whole setup is lost.

• When it comes to RAID, I know what the task is and what are the configurations.

If you advise RAID in the HP 8300 and OMV, then maybe:
    1 - disk for the system,
    2 - data disk
    3 - disk for copying the disk 2 with some script, plug-in or program (if you know such a solution, please answer).

• This is how I would do it:
    One small SATA SSD or DOM for the operating system - small = 8Gb t0 20Gb, any larger is overkill, any smaller limits your add-ons.
    2 hard drives same type and size.
    Have 1 drive as the main NAS drive, use the other drive to back the other drive up.

or

Run the drives in RAID1, but have a 3rd drive formatted in EXT if is large (don't use NTFS on a mobile drive), usb or eSATA(eSATA a lot better) and back up to that too.

I back up manually, again from my past experience, when I back up manually, I know it is done. When I have relied on RAID1 or some other back up software, it has either not worked properly or I have lost data. As you see I have two OMV servers in my signature. I also have more NAS servers from Netgear/QNAP/Zyxel and Synology that I back up to. These are old and insecure, but work for offline back ups. I also back up to two large external eSATA and USB 3 drive racks for added comfort. This to me is how important data integrity is - I have lost too much in the past.

I digress - RSYNC is a useful addon for synching folders (ie making backups). Its ok, but didn't always work for, and can be very slow on initial startup.

• Lost due to Windows Operating system, and most of the time due too hard ware failure, usually a hard drive... I have not bothered with RAID for a long time now.

• When it comes to RAID, I know what the task is and what are the configurations.

If you advise RAID in the HP 8300 and OMV, then maybe:
    1 - disk for the system,
    2 - data disk
    3 - disk for copying the disk 2 with some script, plug-in or program (if you know such a solution, please answer).In

In the configuration you mention above, you could could set up Rsync to run automatically, via the "Scheduled Jobs" tab in the web interface, to copy data from disk 2 to disk 3.

I started with a similar hardware setup when I began using OMV and used RAID 1 initially to mirror the two data drives. I had issues with the array disappearing after suspend/resume however, and several moderators suggested Rsync as a simpler solution for a 2 disk setup. It worked very well for 2 years until I added extra disks and switched to Snapraid.

• snapraid? I must looking:D

can you put some OS for virtualization and put Linux and Windows server on it? On the linux server www and openvpn A on windows, some other things like ms sql and data

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!