Degraded ZFS not notifications

• I'm testing OMV with ZFS on one of my virtual machines.
    I set up reporting in OVM and check the ZFS ZED box.

Running OMV: 4.1.5-1
    openmediavailt-zfs 4.0.2-1

Testing the scenario when one drive fails.

Now I set one drive offline:

Code
    root@openmediavault-testing:/etc# zpool offline TANK ata-VMware_Virtual_SATA_Hard_Drive_01000000000000000001

This results in a degraded Zpool:

Now I don't get any notification by email, or in the GUI that there is anything wrong with my device.

This does not look like expected behaviour to me.

• The ZED email notification must be enabled manually. I wrote a small HowTo here in the forum to start a script depending on some ZED events. There is also explained how to activate the email notification. Please use the forum search function.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• The ZED email notification must be enabled manually.

I enabled the ZED email notification in the notifcations window of OMV.

I wrote a small HowTo here in the forum to start a script depending on some ZED events. There is also explained how to activate the email notification.

I've been coming trough some of your posts (damn there's a lot :P), but can't really find it. I checked the /etc/zfs/zed.d/zed.rc file wich is supposed to be "only thing you need to do" for my email address. That was all-ready there. Also i would guess the MTA settings are covered by OMV right? what am i missing ?

I would expect it to function by just enabled since this version:
    [HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• @jammiejammie This is the thread I have meant:

(HowTo) avoid Autoshutdown while a ZFS scub is running I have done this in OMV3, but not tested it with OMV4.

After a zpool status you should get an email in your case.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• I wrote a small script zpool_online_check.sh which is executed once an hour to do a regular check of the pool. I found a template somewhere and it was modified by me.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• Offizieller Beitrag

@jammiejammie notifications are enabled for all the zed scripts (zedlets) that ship with the zfs package not the plugin.

Look at the directory /etc/zfs/zed.d,

If you want more notifications take a look at the zed manual and the examples in the directory mentioned above.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man8/zed.8.html

A basic test iirc would be to run a scrub and check if you receive the notification.

If you create a zedlet that notifies on degraded pool feel free to submit a pr so we can send it with the plugin.

• Hi,

I am also testing a little bit with ZFS on Openmediafault.
    However there are still a few things that confuses me. I setup a test Pool on my fresh installed OMV 4.

Then I removed one hdd (Plugged out the SATA Cable) to see what happens. In the system Log I see that the Kernel report everything correctly

However even 45 minutes later I still got a healthy pool requesting with

I could do a scrub which certainly would end in a degraded pool however I cannot scrub every day as this would permanently reduce the performance. Is there a basic quick check that would do it?
    I did not find anything in the ZFS manuals.
    And of course as a result no notification is sent.

Any idea?

Thanks

• Hi again,

I expected an notification now. I have switched on the ZFS_ZED under Notifications in the WEGGui. I also have modified the zed.rc

Code
    ZED_EMAIL_ADDR=al**************
    ZED_NOTIFY_INTERVAL_SECS=3600
    ZED_NOTIFY_VERBOSE=1

I also found the script statechange-notify.sh in /etc/zfs/zed.d which should do the notification (as far as I understood drom the manual)

So to summarize:

- No automatic update of the pool - only a manually triggered scrub could change it
    - No notification after the degradation of the Pool even though everything should be setup.

I am pretty convinced this is not how it should be :)

Thanks

S

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!