best way to run iRedMail on OMV

• First of all thank you for a fantastic distro.

A little background:
    I have had a Qnap Ts409p for many years. The Qnap was becomming to slow and I was running out of space on my shares. Beside the Qnap I had several servers running with saving data on the Qnap via NFS shares: Owncloud server, subsonic, Minecraft server, mailserver, Mythtv backend server and a RPi to monitor solarpower. All servers low power Fit-PC's er or similar.
    My plan was to consolidate to save energi and at the same time get a faster NAS with more disks space. So the hunt started for a a motherboard with low TDP power prower enough to host all my server together with the new NAS.

I ended up with a NAS build out of a Asus E35M1-I motherboard with 8Gb (Gbit network and six sata III ports on board, a PCie card with two sata III and two USB 3 ports to host system disk). A Fractal Design Node 304 cabinet could host my existing six 1.5Tb Seagate ST315000341AS disks. All setup in a Raid6 configuration according to SerErris instructionshttp://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1333 with minor modification to raid6
    I installed by installing Debian server with squeeze backports kernel and installing OMV afterwards.

Since i reused the old disks from the Qnap (plus two similar reserve disks) i had to build a Backup OMV-NAS from an old Via C7 mini pc with JBOD and rsync'ed everything over there to begin with. From the Backup NAS i rsync'ed everything to the new Production NAS. Migration wen't without problems and Production NAS is now running. I have moved Minecraft, Subsonic and my Solarpower monitor to the new NAS i have installed Owncloud (but have rights problems with the personal shares - more about that in another post)

My next task is to move the mailserver fra my present Ubuntu 12.04 server to Production NAS. Should I install iRedMail directly on Squeeze or should i enable KVM and run a Wheezy image with iRedMail i a virtual machine. All my mail is in vmail format on a share on Production NAS. The mailserver accesses the Vmailstore via NFS.

My cosiderations are:
    - Can iRedMail coexist without problems with OMV on the same Squeeze OS? (iRedMail uses Roundcube webmail so I will have to move OMV to a Apache2 virtual host or to another port.)
    - alternatively should i install iRedMail in a KVM-Qemu guest image with my OMV as a host. (I tried an experiment on Backup NAS but couldn't get DNS lookups to work for the OMV-host after setting up a bridged network for the guest - the guest had fine DNS lookups).
    - What experiences are there with hosting a mailserver with webmail or KVm virtual guests on you OMV?

• Zitat von "jensk"

- Can iRedMail coexist without problems with OMV on the same Squeeze OS? (iRedMail uses Roundcube webmail so I will have to move OMV to a Apache2 virtual host or to another port.)

The other way around. You setup Roundcube to be accessed under a subdomain of your server like mail.nas.tld. (I don't know how that works, as iam not the one who setups the mail server on my server...)

Zitat von "jensk"

- alternatively should i install iRedMail in a KVM-Qemu guest image with my OMV as a host. (I tried an experiment on Backup NAS but couldn't get DNS lookups to work for the OMV-host after setting up a bridged network for the guest - the guest had fine DNS lookups).

Maybe the best alternative but, don't you need a special kernel for KVM virtualization? As far as i know (Proxmox and ConVirt...) still use a 2.6 kernel (RHEL), maybe you get a conflict at this point...

Zitat von "jensk"

- What experiences are there with hosting a mailserver with webmail or KVm virtual guests on you OMV?

Barely non existing. Alltough i have setup KVM on both my NAS and my Server (but only run one Virtual Machine, with windows, which is not KVM based).

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

While my server is much larger, I host three VMs on my OMV box - Zimbra email server on Ubuntu 10.04, SQL Server on Window 2k3 server, and intranet on Ubuntu 12.04. I would host your email on VM and you shouldn't have any problems with your system.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ryancoon:
    I have tried enabling KVM and could make e Wheeze guest. What stopped me from going further was tat my NAS screen turned to gibberish when I installed kvm and libvirt my OMV host. Besides that i couldn't lookup DNS on the OMV host after enabling the br0.
    The screen part wasn't a great problem sine i run my OMV headless but i was a bit concerned about the stability because something obviously was not ok.
    The guest system worked fine with DNS lookups but i couldn't get the host to do lookups Tried both edit /etc/resolv.conf and entering a dns-nameservers ind /etc/network/interfaces. Nothing helped.

My test /etc/network/interfaces was like this:

ryecoaaron: could you post your /etc/network/interfaces of your KVM host
    I run my squeeze with backport kernel

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!