How to restore from an omv-backup?

• Offizieller Beitrag

do you have to do the dd to restore grub on the new disk that you are restoring?

If it is a new disk, it wouldn't have grub on it. So, yes, you would have to restore grub. BUT you are talking about a helios which does not use grub.

The first option would work the best.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hallo OMV,
    wo ist der unterschied zwischen dd und fsarchiver Methode?
    Ich verstehe den unterschied nicht ganz.
    dd - use dd to clone the entire drive to a compressed image file.
    fsarchiver - use fsarchiver to clone all partitions to an archive file

Wie wird genau die rsync Methode verwendet / eingesetzt?

Was ist besser, was wird empfohlen?

Vielen Dank!

• Offizieller Beitrag

dd does not clone the entire drive. It clones the entire OS partition (and potentially a boot partition) including sectors that don't have information on them. This takes longer. It also can't restore to a smaller partition than it cloned from.
    fsarchiver clones the same thing as dd does but it only clones the files saving a lot of time and allowing (to some extent) to restore to a small partition.
    rsync just rsyncs the OS files to another directory on a data drive.

Which one is the best? No one can tell you that. What ever works for you. rsync only allows one backup. The other two allow multiple backups. Personally I use fsarchiver.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Which one is the best? No one can tell you that. What ever works for you. rsync only allows one backup. The other two allow multiple backups. Personally I use fsarchiver.

Sehr Hilfreich, ich habe bisher dd benutzt, ich werde es demnächst mit fsarchiver ausprobieren.

Gibt es eventuell eine Lösung das man Komplett das ganze img Sichern kann und bei Ausfall des Systems einfach nur das "gesicherte / Backup image" wiederherstellen braucht. (Natürlich außer "Win32DiskImager" etc. wo man z.B. dei sd/emmc Karte ausbauen muss?)

Vielen Dank für die Erklärung der Funktionen.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is perhaps a solution that you can completely backup the whole and in the case of failure of the system just restore the "backed up / backup image" needs.

The backup plugin won't backup a data partition if you are using one on the OS drive but it does backup enough to do a restore - https://forum.openmediavault.o…kup-plugin-to-system-SSD/

• The backup plugin won't backup a data partition if you are using one on the OS drive but it does backup enough to do a restore - forum.openmediavault.org/index…kup-plugin-to-system-SSD/

Danke für den Hinweis !

• Hi

I have the problem that I doesnt install OMV Backup properly why I cant boot from grub because I already set up a fresh OMV installation.

My thinking was to boot rescuebootcd on my Windows machine and restore to the system mSD card. But I cannot mount the backup usb stick ore the system mSD. For info: the rescueboot live system and the backup USB stick are connected via a USB Hub. The system mSD is connecdted directly in a integrated card reader.

Overview aqbout the drives:
    [======DISK======] [=============NAME==============] [====SIZE====] [MAJ] [MIN]
    [sda ] [SAMSUNG MZMTE128 ] [ 119.24 GB] [ 8] [ 0]
    [sdb ] [USB3.0 CRW -SD ] [ 14.91 GB] [ 8] [ 16]
    [sdc ] [Basic Line ] [ 3.73 GB] [ 8] [ 32]
    [sdd ] [Cruzer Blade ] [ 29.82 GB] [ 8] [ 48]

sdc - place of backups,
    sdb - place of omv system

When i try to mount like ryecoaaron say I get follwoing reply:

[root@sysresccd ~]# mount /dev/sdc /mnt/Backup_OMV/backup
    mount: /mnt/Backup_OMV/backup: mount point does not exist.

I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When i try to mount like ryecoaaron say I get follwoing reply:

[root@sysresccd ~]# mount /dev/sdc /mnt/Backup_OMV/backup
    mount: /mnt/Backup_OMV/backup: mount point does not exist.

I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

You need to create the directory - mkdir -p /mnt/Backup_OMV/backup

• You need to create the directory - mkdir -p /mnt/Backup_OMV/backup

Ok similar issue. I have a dual boot Linux with Mint. The fsa backups are at /Downloads/omvbackup. The root directory for OMV is sdc7 on a SD card in a USB reader attached.
    I made the directory mnt/Backup_OMV/backup but how do I mount to? I ran through several combos with no luck.

Secondly is a there process to restore OMV to blank SD card rather than having to reinstall OMV by way of the plug in?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope and I have run it a lot. I would probably exclude the /var/lib/docker/overlay2 directory from the backup anyway. Did you fill the filesystem that it is backing up to? Did fsarchiver segfault? Look in dmesg.

• hi @ryecoaaron , I can not understand the dmesg:

Where can I find the log file of fsarchiver? maybe the backup is right and it's just a graphic bug

to complete these are my parameters:

The shared folder has all the rights in reading and writing, no smb share and nothing else in

• Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I'm new to OMV. I'm setting up OMV for the first time. I'm using v 4.1.22. My system disk is a 256G SSD. The system is live and working great so far. Before I dismantle the NAS I'm replacing, I need to make sure I can restore the system to a brand new drive (maybe a different size) if I have to. Data backup is not an issue.

I see ryecoaaron's procedure to restore from fsarchiver backup made with OMV's backup. I'm trying to understand what other things I'd have to do. So far I think I'd have to partition the drive first and do a grub-install last before rebooting. Is this correct? Is there anything else?

So far I think OMV is great. I will donate when I get to the point where I can dismantle my old NAS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So far I think I'd have to partition the drive first and do a grub-install last before rebooting. Is this correct? Is there anything else?

You shouldn't have to do either if you restore the mbr and partition table that the backup plugin saves off (.grubparts file).

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the drive is larger and I want the whole drive partitioned or if the drive is smaller, won't the partition table need to be different?

If the drive is larger, it doesn't have to be unless you want to use all of that space. If the drive is smaller, of course. I wouldn't use a 256GB ssd for the OS drive anyway. I would use a 16gb usb stick and use the 256 GB ssd as a data drive for things that need faster storage.

• I know that lot of people use a USB stick as the system drive, but I just don't like the idea. Using an SSD is fine for me. When I went to buy it, the only smaller one I could get was a 128G but I didn't like the make. The 256G was about US $30. Not too bad. I'm sure I could have mail ordered a smaller one but I was in a hurry. The larger new drive instance is much more likely than the smaller drive one, so if the same MBR will work on a larger drive, I guess it's not absolutely necessary to have a larger partition.

The procedure for the MBR is above in this thread. Very useful thread. And I can brush up on my German.

• Hi.
    Help the noob, please!
    I made a backup using fsarchiver. Want to restore, but have no idea what this mean:

Boot systemrescuecd - if you installed the iso from omv-extras, it will be in your grub menu.

I am running OMV 4.1.31 in VM on MS Hyper-V Server 2019

= Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M3 • 2 x HDD 3.5" 4TB Western Digital Red • Windows Server 2019 • Hyper-V • OMV 5.x =

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am running OMV 4.1.31 in VM on MS Hyper-V Server 2019

If you click the Install SystemRescueCD in omv-extras, it will download a systemrescuecd iso, put it in /boot, and add it to the grub boot menu. If you click the Boot Once button, the system will boot SystemRescueCD one time. This is the best place to restore the backup but it isn't easy. Hopefully the guide helps. I'm not good at explaining this process.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!