Moving from OMV 2.x to OMV 4

• Hello group,

So, I have been running OMV 2.x for quite some time and it has been working flawlessly. However, after building a new system for a client I am thinking of moving up to OMV 4 on my own system and wanted to know the caveats to making the move. The system has two RAID 1 drive arrays connected to an HP PCI raid card using the HP Raid plugin. Obviously, I do not want to lose anything off the hard drives.....so what is the safest approach to reinstall the new system without losing any important data???

Thanks in advance.....

• Shutdown your NAS
    • Unplug all data disks
    • Install OMV on your system disk
    • Plug your data drives back in
    • Boot OpenMediaVault
    • Switch to system >> Update Manager >> Click "Check" >> Mark all the updates >> Click "Upgrade"
    • Switch to Storage >> File Systems >> Click your File System >> Click "Mount"
    • Install your wanted plugins
    • Reconfigure your users, plugins, services
    • Done.
  • One more thing.....I am noticing there is no HW Raid plugin available to OMV4?? How does OMV 4 handle a HP Raid array already configured on the card without the plugin? The system I built for a client was an HP Server with built-in card and I could not get OMV 4 to recognize the array I setup in the card. I ended up having OMV handle the raid array, which was fine. In my case, the raid array is already configured on the card.....so I am concerned OMV 4 will not recognize the array that is configured.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am noticing there is no HW Raid plugin available to OMV4?? How does OMV 4 handle a HP Raid array already configured on the card without the plugin?

The hwraid plugin provided information only. When you configure a raid array on the HP card, the OS should just see one drive. I'm not sure why the kernel doesn't see this one drive (has nothing to do with OMV).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Interesting.....well I have another machine just like the one I just built, so I may try playing with that again just for fun. As far as my main NAS, I will tackle that as my next project.....thanks again.

• Hello,

can you please explain, how you mean:

3. Install OMV on your system disk

Do you mean, install the new omv 4 on the system disk?

Do i need to delete the old omv2 first? can you explain a bit more detailed please?

thanks

• It is not possible do an in place upgrade of OMV 2.x to OMV 4.x - skipping a version is not supported. You will have to install OMV 4. as a new install and configure it from scratch by hand.

It is not necessary to do anything with your OMV 2.x disk. A fresh install of OMV 4.x to that disk will completely overwrite the disk.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi gderf,

thanks for your reply.

one question: why does WAstl talk about Upgrade?

6. Switch to system >> Update Manager >> Click "Check" >> Mark all the updates >> Click "Upgrade"
    7. Switch to Storage >> File Systems >> Click your File System >> Click "Mount"
    8. Install your wanted plugins
    9. Reconfigure your users, plugins, services

Or would it be possible to go from 2 to 3 and then to 4 so all the settings could be migrated automatically?

thanks

• What @WastlJ is describing is a from scratch install of OMV. It is not an in place upgrade from a prior version and step 7 is for mounting an already existing data disk.

I did an in place upgrade from OMV 2.x to OMV 3.x. This was a very difficult process and failed several times.

I had made a dd image backup of the OMV 2.x disk before starting, and used that backup to restore the disk so that I could try again. IIRC, it took three or four tries to get that in place upgrade to complete without errors.

When it came time to in place upgrade OMV 3.x to OMV 4.x, it went smoothly and I had no problems getting it to go in one try.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Another user of an old version here.
    OMV 2.1 stone burner , running on an AMD AthlonII X3 455 processor. No fancy RAID, just 4 WD Red harddrives "grouped" together as a RAID 5.

I was going to update to ver3 and then ver4 so BIG thanks for letting people know that is not a good idea.

But now I'm wondering if there is anything to be really gained by updating at all. Are there security problems with OMV2.1 that will not pass a HIPPA audit?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are there security problems with OMV2.1 that will not pass a HIPPA audit?

OMV 2.x is based on Debian 7 which hasn't been receiving any updates for a long time. It is scary that you have HIPAA data on an OMV 2.x system... A system with HIPAA data should be patched to get the latest security updates all the time. Yes, I am HIPAA certified and work at a healthcare company.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!