Issues installing : Failed to partition disk because lack of free space or too small(WTF)

• Okay.... So I'm reinstalling OMV.

Ran the installer, which is on a 16gb flash drive.... Then I have my target which is a 32gb flash drive. completely clean, no partitions on it...

Attempt to install on it and it goes "Failed to partition the selected disk" says it probably happened because free space is too small to be automatically partitioned.. ITS AN EMPTY 32gb FLASH DRIVE.

So... I tried a different USB port and a totally different 32gb flash drive..... Same problem.

WTF.

I've got to be missing something.

Motherboard : SuperMicro X10SLL-F | i3-4170 @ 3.7ghz | 32gb ECC RAM
    PSU: EVGA 500w
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5
    Controller : Dell H310 flashed with IT Mode Firmware
    DATA: 8x3TB

• It can't be the old v3 bug where installer try to install on the source usb disk instead of the target one. I thought it was fixed ages ago. The only workaround I found is to use CD drive as source.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Do you use the ISO or one of the several images?

using the openmediavault_4.1.3-amd64 ISO

• It can't be the old v3 bug where installer try to install on the source usb disk instead of the target one. I thought it was fixed ages ago. The only workaround I found is to use CD drive as source.

I've considered something like this as a possibility but the unfortunate part is I don't have a CD Drive to test that theory with :D

• I always have an external DVD drive at hand. Most of my pc do not have internal drives.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• I always have an external DVD drive at hand. Most of my pc do not have internal drives.

I have one at work, I've never had a need for one at home haha. Even if I did I know I don't have a blank to burn an image to haha

• I did just realize I can remote mount the ISO through the IPMI console though. Not sure why I didn't think of doing this sooner.

• Update : IPMI virtual mount didn't help either, I think then with the USB drive being the only available device to install on it automatically attempted to install to the only storage available giving me the same error, then if I try to proceed further it gives me "No root file system" no root file system is defined, please correct this from the partitioning menu.

• Another update : Downloaded the OMV 3.0.94 installer & it worked fine.

Me thinks I found a bug.

• Nobody has any suggestions for this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nobody has any suggestions for this?

So, it isn't detecting your usb drive you want to install OMV on?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Does detect the USB drive I want to install on. I've made sure the drive is empty and without partitions on it by running a clean with diskpart.

I have tried alternate USB drives.

Originally I was using a 16gb USB drive that had the OMV installer on it, trying to install on a 32gb flash drive, then I ran into odd issues where it said failed to partition selected disk and says "free space is too small to be automatically partitioned" but as I've said, USB drive is 32gb with NO partitions on it.

So I also tried by wondering if it was trying to install on the same USB drive the install media was on, So I virtual mounted the 4.1.3 installer ISO through the IPMI console & presented it to my machine via virtual CD drive, Making the 32gb USB drive the ONLY storage available to the OMV installer (Unplugged my HBA for the install process) and it still gave me the same issue.

I tested internal USB port on the board (USB 3.0) also used a USB 2.0 port on the rear of the board, no difference.

Then I wondered if it was an issue with the installer, So I grabbed a OMV 3 installer & that worked without issue, No tinkering required.

So it's some sort of an issue I'm having specific to OMV4 installer.

Current motherboard in use is a Supermicro X10SLL-F, I have no drives/CD drives or other peripherals plugged in via SATA/USB. The only storage presented to the machine is via the USB drive I'm putting in for OS storage, as well as the HBA which is presenting my 8 drives to it but for the install process this was unplugged from the board.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This sounds like the issue on github where it is creating a swap partition too large since OMV is allowing the debian installer to auto-calculate the swap partition size. This could be fixed by using Volker's idea of the Debian netinst image.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You can use the Debian Netinst ISO to install the core system and then manually install OMV. Don’t know exactly why there is a difference to the OMV ISO because it is using Debian Installer, too.

Do you have an article somewhere on how to perform these steps.

I think I saw something on how to install on Debian 9 and there was a OMV deb file somewhere, I probably just need to install the package huh. I'm a bit out of practice on my linux admin stuff cause now I live and breathe networking, windows sysadmin crap & vmware all day, never touch Linux much these days yet apparently anytime anyone does have to touch it at work I'm the go-to guy. Most of what I do have to deal/tinker with is Debian/RHEL based.

• Yeah I even had issues getting that to go.

Something is fucking weird.

• That's the same thing I was getting with my usb drives and usb flash drives. Same error with 4.1.3 ISO. I thought about just installing 3.x over one of the other drives, but since mine is working I didn't bother to do that. So it does seem to be an issue with the iso or debian installer which is the same one I used. Then again I had iso installed problems with ubuntu in the past which are very similar to what this version is doing.

• Yeaaaaaaaaaaa. I'm not sure what the deal is. It shouldn't be a compatibility issue with any of the hardware I have in this machine.

Supermicro X10 board, I've tried the install with my HBA unplugged. i've tried different USB drives... just doesn't make sense.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!