Unable to boot after installation (Dropping to a shell!)

• I did a clean install with openmediavault_4.1.3-amd64.iso. I created the installation usb with Rufus and cleaned the target usb drive with DiskPart. The installation went fine without errors. During first boot I got stuck (see attachment). No data disks were connected during installation or the first boot. Please advice.

I had previously OMV3 installed succesfully.

Thanks!

• Hi liquid7,

I have exactly the same problem!

I've done a clean minimal installation of the "debian-9.4.0-amd64"-ISO with just SSH and standard system tools. After reboot (and after unplugging the USB boot stick) I get stuck in the same BusyBox thing as in your screenshot...

I tried to type in the commands to do a OMV4 installation, as described in the post Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch) , but I just get errors.

Could someone please give us advice?

Thanks!

• same here..
    I have an ssd and 4 fresh drives.
    I wasn't asked what to do of the 4 drive during install, so I thought to configure the array later, but rebooting brings me in the middle of initramfs nowhere..

• Thanks, I'll try this.

Lähetetty minun ONEPLUS A3003 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I found an easier way to do that. No need for live linux.

During boot at Grub screen, press ESC to stop the countdown and then press e. There you can edit the mount point. In my case it was sda1. Press F10 to boot.

After that, boot was successful. I was going to modify grub to point to sda1, but it was already pointing UUID. I rebooted and it worked.

There was problems with my usb keyboard during some reboots. I think it somehow interferes with usb key during boot. After removing it boot was fine. I don't know if this is because of the motherboard or something else.

Lähetetty minun ONEPLUS A3003 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

• I have the same problem. I was able to boot into OMV, but I want to change the boot point from /dev/sdx to UUID. Can anyone guide me on how to do it?

After a plain fresh 4.x installation on a single SSD machine with an USB stick I run in the same issue: not booting with error message liquid7 listet at the beginning of this thread.

As he later wrote the one time solution to continue the system booting was to press ESC at the grub booting screen and e to edit the wrong sdb1 entry into sda1.
    Then the boot continues as it should.
    Att: This can NOT be a permanent fix, due to grub does not allow to store your change at this screen!

You can see the wrong entry by running this command after the boot has successfully finished and you have logged in on the console as root:

root# cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep sd

looks something like this
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet

Now you will see the wrong disk still be present in the config, because you only did a run-once fix during the startup

But how to fix this permanently?
    Easy one: just start a console on the finally running system, log in as root/get root rights and use the build in tools that the grub software provides for baking there own configuration cake:
    Simply run this one command:

root# update-grub

DONE!

The grub tool update-grub will check your system and fix the wrong entry in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg- a config file that explicitly NEVER should be edited by hand - as also written in the first lines of it !!!
    In my single SSD system update-grub has automatically changed the entry from sd*1 naming sceme to using UUID naming scheme (which makes things solid to flipping around with additional disks later):

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 root=UUID=zzzzzzzz-xxxx-xxxx-xxx-yyyyyyyyyyyy

Sounds to me like a tailing update-grub command at the end of some sort of initialisation script might be a good idea and does no harm ?!?!
    ;)

Hope this helps.
    Cheers!

Peter
    (already long time reader and just joined the forum to post this)

• Hi, I'd signed up to get some help with a similar issue. The advice in this thread allowed me to figure it out and fix it. Thank you liquid7 and LegerD. :)

How my issue was different was that my installation went ok. The usb stick to which I'd installed (from another usb stick) booted fine (with a few interesting errors and glitches, that seem to have sorted themselves). It was after I added the storage hard drives to the system that it would not boot with a string of errors and then the initramfs "thing". What had happened is that the usb boot device was sda1 until the hard disks went in and the system then gave the hard disks sda1 etc. With only one hard disk in, I had to edit grub to make the boot device sdb1. After putting the rest in, it seems (from the scroll as it's booting from a monitor directly attached) that the usb boot device is now sde1, but as I had followed LegerD's advice and had updated grub so it now has the uuid of the usb stick, the additional change didn't mess up the booting.

Thanks again.
    (not so woeful any more... :D)

• I just wanted to say thanks for the info in this thread and what a ridiculous problem to have in 2018...

My configuration is as follows:
    HP N40L booted from USB installation media
    1x 60GB SSD plugged into the Optical SATA port
    4x 500GB HDD's plugged into the onboard SAS controller

This is just a little setup to backup some pictures and documents for when my big stuff gets shipped across 2 states!

During installation I assume the module isn't loaded for the SAS controller thus the SSD is detected as SDA. After boot and the appropriate modules are loaded the SSD is detected after the disks connected to the SAS controller so it becomes SDE.

Anyway, you can work out what the boot disk is assisgned by typing:

ls -lah /dev/disk/by-id/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 320 Nov 28 09:49 .
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 140 Nov 28 09:49 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 28 09:49 ata-Hitachi_HUA722050CLA330_JPW9J0HD22HW9C -> ../../sdc
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 28 09:49 ata-Hitachi_HUA722050CLA330_JPW9J0HD22HWZC -> ../../sdb
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 28 09:49 ata-Hitachi_HUA722050CLA330_JPW9K0HD323HBL -> ../../sda
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 28 09:49 ata-Hitachi_HUA722050CLA330_JPW9K0HD3B3YXL -> ../../sdd
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 28 09:49 ata-Patriot_Blaze_DE3F075519C601832699 -> ../../sde
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Nov 28 09:49 ata-Patriot_Blaze_DE3F075519C601832699-part1 -> ../../sde1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Nov 28 09:49 ata-Patriot_Blaze_DE3F075519C601832699-part2 -> ../../sde2
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Nov 28 09:49 ata-Patriot_Blaze_DE3F075519C601832699-part5 -> ../../sde5
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Nov 28 09:49 md-name-omv01:01raid10 -> ../../md127
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Nov 28 09:49 md-uuid-70baf2a5:26f7267e:12a40a4b:fa1f2390 -> ../../md127
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 28 09:49 wwn-0x5000cca373dd535d -> ../../sdc
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 28 09:49 wwn-0x5000cca373dd5372 -> ../../sdb
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 28 09:49 wwn-0x5000cca373eb3c60 -> ../../sda
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 28 09:49 wwn-0x5000cca373ef557a -> ../../sdd

My SSD is the Patriot Blaze so then you just reboot and edit the grub entry changing /dev/sda1 to /dev/sde1, press Ctrx-X or F10 to boot and once booted you can use update-grub as per LegerD's reply.

root@omv01:~# grep root= /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    set root='hd4,msdos1'
    set root='hd4,msdos1'
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 root=UUID=69aa1cce-6d64-480b-b961-815a882913f8 ro quiet
    set root='hd4,msdos1'
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet
    set root='hd4,msdos1'
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 root=/dev/sda1 ro single

root@omv01:~# update-grub
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
    done

root@omv01:~# grep root= /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    set root='hd4,msdos1'
    set root='hd4,msdos1'
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 root=UUID=69aa1cce-6d64-480b-b961-815a882913f8 ro quiet
    set root='hd4,msdos1'
    set root='hd4,msdos1'
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 root=UUID=69aa1cce-6d64-480b-b961-815a882913f8 ro single

Job done, reboot to confirm it's working as expected.

• Good evening,

I try to find a solution to my similar Problem.

I followed te steps above, but cant use the commands as descriped. Nothing works out.

I tried -lah /dev/disk/by-id/ but no result.
    Can anyone Point me in the right Direktion or give me the commands i have to use please. Actual Status is on the Screenshots.

• I did this to fix my usb to usb install, and I'm not having any issues other than dockers having problems accessing data after a reboot, and I'm trying to figure out if this is related:

Docker can't access shared folders after reboot

logs are giving:

Feb 13 15:21:09 o systemd[1]: dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-4tbExternal.device: Job dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-4tbExternal.device/start timed out.
    Feb 13 15:21:09 o systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-4tbExternal.device.
    Feb 13 15:21:09 o systemd[1]: srv-dev\x2ddisk\x2dby\x2dlabel\x2d4tbExternal.mount: Job srv-dev\x2ddisk\x2dby\x2dlabel\x2d4tbExternal.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.
    Feb 13 15:21:09 o systemd[1]: Dependency failed for File System Check on /dev/disk/by-label/4tbExternal.
    Feb 13 15:21:09 o systemd[1]: dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-4tbExternal.device: Job dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-4tbExternal.device/start failed with result 'timeout'.

has anyone had a similar issue? I'd hate to have to reinstall again to an HDD and hope that fixes it, but I'm skeptical of even that. I managed to make the boot order work originally somehow doing usb to usb

• Hi - I usually lurk on these forums for answers but I figured out the problem and thought I'd share.

It has nothing to do with the RAID array on the hard disks ...

The problem is the device number changed.

In my case, when I installed the software I had the following configuration:
    dev/sda1 <-- first hard disk
    dev/sdb1 <-- second hard disk
    dev/sdc1 <-- boot media with the Open Media Vault ISO
    dev/sdd1 <-- where I installed Open Media Vault

After installation, I took out the boot media and rebooted. This changed the installed disk from sdd1 to sdc1 ... fix the problem by going into the configuration when grub (the boot menu) loads and edit sdd1 to read sdc1.

Also, live and learn ... if you're trying to install Open Media Vault on an usb disk which is less than about 2gb you'll get an error and have no idea why. I switched my USB sticks around from which one had the ISO verses which one has the final installation and it worked. In the process I had to wipe the final installation media and try it a few times because once it has an error writing it doesn't let you reselect the media. Installation could be a lot better. Now that it's up and running, I'm slowly getting there ... so far, not so impressed but better than my experience trying to get FreeNas working from 6 years ago. I'm finally replacing that outdated thing with this.

• Good evening everyone. Do you know how to give always the same letter to a drive? I mean, this solution was successfull, but I'd like to give the OS USB stick the sda letter. Is there a way to do that?
    I can boot changing te grub config during the boot process, but, as I said, I'd like to be sure that always my OS drive will get sda1

• Good evening everyone. Do you know how to give always the same letter to a drive? I mean, this solution was successfull, but I'd like to give the OS USB stick the sda letter. Is there a way to do that?
    I can boot changing te grub config during the boot process, but, as I said, I'd like to be sure that always my OS drive will get sda1

• This is the single most infuriating thing about my OMV installation.

Sometimes it boots, other times it doesnt.

I have 8 SATA drives and OMV installed on a USB connected SSD. Ive set the BIOS so it will only boot from the USB SSD.

Sometimes the server complains it cant find the boot device, so I power down and retry.

Sometimes it boots to Grub, but then goes into the " mdadm: no arrays found... loop"But if Im lucky, at other times it will boot into OMV.

I've tried all the sugestions in this thread, and my grub config points to the UUID of my SSD.

I love OMV, and have been using it since v2, but its got to the point where I dread rebooting the box.

Im pretty sure the problem is specific to my setup, but its annoying none the less.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!