OpenmediaVault 3.0.99 (erasmus) on Odroid C1+ CRASHES/ FREEZES every few days - how to solve

• Hello all,

I recently switched from raspberry pi to odroid c1+ for a "simple" networkfileserver. Main reason was the networkspeed that is 1 GB for Odroid vs 100MB for raspberry.
    Now all works well, but only the system freezes or crashes every 10-20 hours. The longest time it was up and running before freezing was maybe 1.5-2 days...
    The raspberry would go on for weeks and months before crashing/ freezing...

So, I have been trying to get some info from system-log files, but to be honest I am not sure where I should look for?

I am thinking in two possible strategies to approach this:
    - trying to find the cause for the "freeze"/ crash and see if this can be solved, or
    - in case of a freeze/ crash, have the odroid automatically reboot

I am not sure how the second strategy could be implemented (if at all) and using the first strategy I would need some guidance as to where to look for clues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks already!

HansCie

• trying to find the cause for the "freeze"/ crash and see if this can be solved

It's always the same: Power supply or SD card issues. What you describe sounds like power supply issue (under-voltage). There's not much you can do to diagnose (you need an oscilloscope) other than trying out a good PSU especially if you power now the C1+ with the same PSU you used already on your RPi (they contain some sort of under-voltage masquerading/protection since powering through Micro USB is such a horribly sh*t show).

https://forum.armbian.com/topi…wering-through-micro-usb/ -- adding to that: all PSUs die eventually and usually the first symptom is voltage dropping under load.

• Thank you for your reply!

@macom: I did check the root file system as you suggested: It appears you don't have any corrupt files or packages!

tkaiser: I have my system set up with the psu that came with the Odroid, it powers through the dedicated power input (not the micro-USB). Should I go back to micro-USB powering?

I am trying to set up a netconsole log-drop between the ODROID and a spare raspberry I have. That seems not so obvious...
    Also I will try and limmit the use of resources of the ODROID to keep power use lower...

• @ all:
    From another board https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=31014 I was advised to disable VPU and HDMI output, which I did.

Otherwise I tried to set up netconsole, which seemed to complicated to get working on the SSH level. I than found in the diagnostics TAB > system logs > settings: REMOTE SYSLOG.
    I put in the ip address of one of the other raspberry's I have and it started recording. Probably because of the changes I made previously (netcolsole setup of receiver and sender).
    SOOOO... that is now ready to record any kernel panic that might occur...

BUT: surprisingly the system is up now for 1 day and 10 hours, which is a record... This must have to do with the disabling VPU and HDMI as these are the only changes I made.

I'll get back here if and when the system crashes.. If not in a few days: I consider this case solved.
    I'll keep you posted!
    Thanks

• Mostly because it looked like this thread had died with the issue magically solving itself without a clear path to follow to fix. So rather than hijacking this thread with my issue, I thought I'd respond to this one to see if the OP would come back with an update, whilst at the same time post a new thread as - re-reading the issue here mine is slightly different. The OP says their system crashes, whereas mine does not crash, the network dies. Two different issues, hence, this seems to warrant a new thread.

• This was not magic, It was, as it says above, a power supply problem. It was solved by tweaking the power usage (again: see above)

Now repeating this because of a new setup.
    Still seems to work - no magic involved

Regards,

HC

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!