File System not initialising

• Macom,
    I originally purchased these drives for use in a 32bit FreeNAS deployed on an ancient Dell for our church office staff. They didn't really understand how to use network storage and the FreeNAS was turned off and stored. It sat in a closet for almost 2 years, off. That PC was recently discarded, & I pulled the drives for this new project.
    Thanks for your explanation of the RAID mirror vs rsnapshot plugin and I will consider it. If this archiving works out, I will be moving to larger drives anyway because the school has to maintain three months of CCTV at a reasonable resolution.
    Thank you again for taking the time to assist me.
    I really appreciate it.

ryecoaaron,
    Thank you again as well. I appreciate you patience.
    I didn't expect instant responses to my questions, but I thought 24 hours should achieve some response. When I noticed that I had notices on the top of the window, I followed them to responses.
    Sorry about the length of my post. I'll do better.

My system:
    AS Rock E350M1 Motherboard
    4Gb x 2 DDR3 G.Skill ram
    2x 2TB hard drive, mirror RAID
    1x 160Gb hard drive, Open Media Vault OS

• Offizieller Beitrag

After using DBAN, the quick wipe, & format still failed in exactly the same way. /----/

I'm still curious about the need to jump through so many hoops to trick OMV into using the drives.

Frankly, even if you got it to work using @ryecoaaron 's method, I'd still be concerned. If you ran DBAN for 15 minutes, there shouldn't be any organized data on the target drive to detect, "if" the drive and your hardware are functioning correctly.

The rest - persistent partitions after a secure wipe and even a partial DBAN pass, doesn't make any sense. While this might seem like an odd question, did you run an MD5 hash on the OMV image you downloaded?

On the RAID question - why are you using it? If you're looking for backup, RAID is not the way to go. Rsync'ing disk to disk would be better than mdadm RAID1.

I use something like the following, once a week, in the command box of a Scheduled Job:

rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-EXT1/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-EXT2/

The source is left, the destination is right. "--delete" deletes files in the destination that are not in the source. Removing it would provide deleted file protection, but the switch would need to be reinserted and ran, from time to time, to clean up deleted files in the destination.

While an Rsync command is a simple approach, @macom 's rsnapshot plugin recommendation is more flexible.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I originally purchased these drives for use in a 32bit FreeNAS

OK, that explains why there was still a filesystem signature on it. With new drives you should not face such problems.

If this archiving works out, I will be moving to larger drives anyway because the school has to maintain three months of CCTV

Please consider to not use RAID1. It just adds one layer of complexity. Keep it simple and stupid. The rsnapshot plugin is really easy to set up.

Also please realize that with RAID, if you delete one file (for a reason or just by accident) it will be immediately deleted on both drives. Difficult to restore the file. If you use rsnapshot you create snapshots of all the files as they are at the time of the creation of the snapshot. So you can always go back in time and restore a file as it was at that point in time.

edit: please note, the last two posts were written in parallel; interesting to realize that a thread sometimes has sequential as well as partly parallel thoughts

• So, I looked under plugins, but there is no rsnapshot addin to add in.
    Whats the trick to this?

My system:
    AS Rock E350M1 Motherboard
    4Gb x 2 DDR3 G.Skill ram
    2x 2TB hard drive, mirror RAID
    1x 160Gb hard drive, Open Media Vault OS

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!