Botched omv-update trying to go from 3.x to 4.x

• I ran an omv-update this morning on my OMV 3... it went through it's thing, and then stopped while processing openmediavault-deluge with error "sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"

I have SSH and SMB shares, but ngix gives me a 403 error, but states it is up and running.

I tried running apt-get update
    It goes through a bunch of gets and then complains about duplicate sources.list entries... here is my /etc/apt/sources.list:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    #

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8 _Jessie_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20170731-21:43]/ jessie contrib main non-free

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8 _Jessie_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20170731-21:43]/ jessie contrib main non-free

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main
    deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian jessie main
    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

# jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'

# Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free

# Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:

deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free

# deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main

----------------------------------------

an apt-get upgrade:

root@homelands:~# apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    omvextras-common : Depends: openmediavault (>= 3.0.15) but it is not installed
    openmediavault-deluge : Depends: openmediavault (>= 3.0.13) but it is not installed
    Depends: python-gtk2-dev but it is not installed
    Depends: libboost-system-dev but it is not installed
    Depends: libboost-python-dev but it is not installed
    Depends: libtorrent-rasterbar-dev but it is not installed
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg : Depends: openmediavault (>= 3.0.67) but it is not installed
    openmediavault-radarr : Depends: openmediavault (>= 3.0.13) but it is not installed
    openmediavault-sonarr : Depends: openmediavault (>= 3.0.13) but it is not installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
    root@homelands:~# apt-get upgrade -f
    Building dependency tree
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    openmediavault-deluge
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    nfs-common nfs-kernel-server openmediavault rpcbind wpasupplicant
    The following packages have been kept back:
    linux-image-amd64
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    beep docker-ce git-man imagemagick-common libcurl3 libcurl3-gnutls libmad0 libmagickcore-6.q16-2 libmagickwand-6.q16-2 libperl5.20 libprocps3 libsdl-image1.2 linux-libc-dev
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg perl perl-base perl-modules plexmediaserver procps tzdata wget xdg-utils
    22 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    9 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0 B/160 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 16.7 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Reading database ... 60340 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing openmediavault-deluge (3.2) ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/openmediavault-deluge.postrm: 6: .: Can't open /usr/share/openmediavault/scripts/helper-functions
    dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-deluge (--remove):
    subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 2
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    openmediavault-deluge
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

the only omv-* commands that exist are 'aptclean', 'changerepo', 'mkgraph', and 'showkey'

apt-get -install --reinstall openmediavault results in:
    apt-get -f install --reinstall openmediavault
    Building dependency tree
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    openmediavault : Depends: nfs-kernel-server but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: wpasupplicant but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

--------------------------------

I am about to just pull the data disks and blow the whole thing up but wanted to double check if there was a way to recover before I redo my whole setup....

• For an in place upgrade from OMV 3 to OMV 4 to be successful, all OMV 3 plugins that do not have an equivalent OMV 4 plugin must be removed before beginning the upgrade process. openmediavault-deluge is only one such plugin that you should have removed. Try removing it now, then attempt the upgrade again.

Also, before attempting an upgrade like this best practice is to make an image of your current install first and verify that you can successfully restore that image. That way, if the upgrade fails, you can get back to a know working state and try again.

Hopefully, your installation is not damaged beyond repair and you will be able to recover it and try again. This would have been guaranteed if you had a backup image.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• thanks for the reply. I guess I didnt realize that not removing them would break the upgrade, instead of just causing the plugins to not function afterwards.

I don't seem to be able to remove openmediavault-deluge...

dpkg -r openmediavault-deluge(Reading database ... 60340 files and directories currently installed.)Removing openmediavault-deluge (3.2) .../var/lib/dpkg/info/openmediavault-deluge.postrm: 6: .: [b]Can't open /usr/share/openmediavault/scripts/helper-functions[/b]dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-deluge (--remove):subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 2Errors were encountered while processing:openmediavault-deluge

apt-get remove openmediavault-delugeReading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency treeReading state information... DoneYou might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:The following packages have unmet dependencies:omvextras-common : Depends: openmediavault (>= 3.0.15) but it is not going to be installedopenmediavault-omvextrasorg : Depends: openmediavault (>= 3.0.67) but it is not going to be installed

Seems like it wont let me remove omv-deluge since there are no helper scripts... which I can't install because... ?

• Doesn't look good. I don't have any further suggestions.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks for your help. I was able to make progress on this message:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/openmediavault-deluge.postrm: 6: .: Can't open /usr/share/openmediavault/scripts/helper-functions

I commented out the line referencing /usr/share.../helper-functions on open...deluge.postrm and was able to remove openmediavault-deluge and run an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Now I can get to the webui login, but not past that. I am currently doing some backups before I start messing with it too much.... the strange thing is, I was not even to the step of going to OMV4.. I was merely bringing OMV3 up as new as I could make it before upgrading to 4, so I am not sure why deluge borked the whole thing...

It might be time to look at FreeNAS as an alternative... been having a lot of problems with OMV lately. We shall see!

• It might be time to look at FreeNAS as an alternative... been having a lot of problems with OMV lately. We shall see!

No idea what went wrong, but if you did anything beyond apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade you went too far before removing incompatible plugins.

Keep on trying to recover. Worst case is you get to do a fresh from scratch install of OMV 4 and absorb the pain of configuring it all over again. That should convince you to start making backup images.

As for FreeNAS my advice is don't do that. NAS4Free would be a better choice but I wouldn't do that either. I've tried both in the past and wound up here on OMV.

Good luck.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Keep on trying to recover. Worst case is you get to do a fresh from scratch install of OMV 4 and absorb the pain of configuring it all over again. That should convince you to start making backup images.

If booting to USB sticks or other external media, backup boot drive images are very easy to do.

With backup of the OS, as @gderf suggested:
    You could test try an upgrade and, if it goes sour, back out of it as if it never happened.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!