SSD for Plex Media Server data/cache directory |OMV4 NAS

• Hello,

I want to install Plex Media Server on my Open Media Vault NAS, but the USB Stick which OMV 4 runs off is too small (8GB), and I don't want to stress my Hard Disk as much as possible.

Hardware used in my NAS:

So adding a SSD to my NAS seems to be the best option, but could I get away buying the cheapest SSD i can find (e.g. Kingston A400 120GB), or would a bigger/better SSD (e.g. Crucial MX500 250GB) make more (if any) sense?

The last time I used Plex was when I still used OMV2 on the same NAS, and the Plex Database occupied around 3GB of space on my USB Stick, so 250GB seem to be a bit overkill..?

And btw, either one 1080p Stream to my Google Chromecast or one 720p Stream to my Android Smartphone would be the worst case scenario, if someone want to know.

I hope someone can give me a recommendation, thanks in advance

Greetings from Germany :thumbup:

• Hi! I use my NAS, with OMV installed on a cheap Drevo X1 Pro 64GB SSD, as Media Server, leaning on Plex to stream movies and tv series that take me up around 6TB of storage (HDD) and I've never had troubles with streaming.
    My Plex Database occupies about 120GB of space and I expect it to grow even more :)

• Can you share how much media is contained in your Plex libraries (# of movies, episodes, songs, pics, etc)?

It's not so much how much media you have, but rather what you have told Plex to do with it all.

If you enable Generate video preview or chapter thumbnails in Plex | Settings | Server | Library, your metadatabase can become quite large and it will take a very long time for all the thumbnails to be generated.

I have about 9TB of movies and TV shows with video preview thumbnails that started being generated over five months ago and are still being generated.

So far my metadatabase is over 120GB and will eventually exceed 250GB.

It should be obvious that you do not want this database to be on your OMV rootfs drive regardless how much space you have available on it. It is also not a good idea to include it in a SnapRAID array (use an exclude statement to prevent it from being synced if it is located on a disk that you do want to be included in SnapRAID).

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• At one time in the distant past I thought there would be a performance advantage (search speed, etc) to placing PMS's metadatabase on a SSD compared with placing it on a HDD. That advantage never materialized, so I put it back onto an ordinary HDD.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!