LSI 9200-8e: Not all drives showing up all the time

• This issue is not entirely OMV related, but the solution might be.

So I have been using a Dell H200E (LSI 9200-8e) flashed to IT mode for quite some time now but there's always been issues with drives not showing up after boot under Linux. In OMV this causes boot delays since OMV is waiting for the drives to come online. I have mostly confirmed that this is not an hardware issue by swapping out server, controller, expander, drive and cables. Still the same issue. Only thing I haven't switched out are the backplanes, but since the issue jumps between backplanes I don't think they're the issue.

To circumvent this issue I can manually start a rescan with:

Bash
    echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/hostX/scan

They will show up just fine afterwards.

Does anybody know why this could happen? There is no repeatable pattern, the drives are not appearing randomly on every reboot. Sometimes drive 1 doesn't show up, sometimes drive 2, sometimes both or sometimes none. Maybe there's a way to increase a timeout on SCSI scans or something like that? There are 24 drives connected, maybe it just takes too long on boot to scan for all of them or they can't spin up in time?

As an alternative workaround, what would be the most elegant way to run a shell script to rescan the bus as soon as possible, preferably before OMV starts looking for them? Adding a cronjob to run after boot would probably be too late and I don't want to interfere with OMV files that could be replaced with updates.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As an alternative workaround, what would be the most elegant way to run a shell script to rescan the bus as soon as possible, preferably before OMV starts looking for them? Adding a cronjob to run after boot would probably be too late and I don't want to interfere with OMV files that could be replaced with updates.

I think you can solve that on your own by adding a systemd unit file that will do the job for you.

• I think you can solve that on your own by adding a systemd unit file that will do the job for you.

Thanks, any idea when it would be ideal to run it?

edit: Looking at systemctl list-dependencies it seems like running even before multi-user.target would be ok? Before smart and quota can start. At the very least before local-fs.target.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!