[Resolved twice] Lost OMV on my network

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Try setting the fixed ip and dns server in the web-gui and see if OMV's scripts fix your problem. But I'm think there is issue on the 2nd router with dns.

Thanks for all your help with this!

Wouldn't a dns problem on the 2nd router mean that other computers connected to it would also have a problem resolving domains? As they don't.

In the first instance I set the fixed IP and DNS via the GUI. I then tried it using nano and i've now done it via firstaid. They all seem to look the same really.

---EDIT

I guess one option to really rule things out is to move the nasbox to the first router and see if it can then resolve domains.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

I don't even know if the 2nd router can be setup properly. Like I said before a switch, in place of the 2nd router, would be the simplest option.

The thing is, it has worked before.

It's the new first router and a change of subnet that has triggered this issue. Yeah a switch would be a lot easier and I might do that. It's just not an ideal solution.

• I just looked at the web interface. That firmware is pretty lame on the o2 iv. I would just use a switch.

This is how ez it is on a router with DD-WRT. The cat6 coming from the main router still goes in the internet port of the 2nd router, instead of a switch port.
    Take a look here:

• Yup, that's how i've got it setup. At this stage i'm fairly sure I know what the settings I need are. I've been telneting into my 2nd router and making sure it has the right dns entries (1st router + google). + DHCP disabled

I have noticed that the dhcp lease pool on my 2nd router starts and ends at: 192.168.1.253
    For some reason I can't change this but I don't think this would be an issue since DHCP is disabled.

Unfortunately the 2nd router isn't support by DD-WRT.

It's a frustrating problem as my only way of debugging it is by trying to resolve a domain....

btw my 2nd router specifically is a tg587n v2

• I've fought with various ISP's routers/modems in the past. I know how you feel. I was at the point a long time ago that I will only buy routers I could use with DD-WRT, or Tomato, firmware. The problem lately is the ISP's are starting to lock you out of advanced settings, on their routers/modems, so it is not as easy to bridge their devices if you have your own router.

• Trying out the old 1st router inplace of the 2nd.

It's a DGN1000. Initial quick setup and I get the same issue. I will play around with this routers settings some more but on the face of it it doesn't look like this is going to work either.

There is a ping feature from this router and it can't resolve domains.

Done the usual, setting subnet, gateway, dns etc.

• At this point, i'm ready to accept defeat and buy a gigabit switch.... (wanted one anyway) Just not happy about still having to use a potentially usable wifi router in addition to the switch and the cost of doing this. Wasted too much time on this.

Thanks for your help tekkbebe, you've been very patient! I've learnt loads!

---EDIT

Switch ordered.... I'll put this one down as a learning experience. at least now I know how to turn off my routers leds via cmd line :lol:

• Hi bibib.
    I see you have ordered a new switch. I still think it is interresting to learn from this.Could you make a traceroute between the OMV and a workstation to your gateway and to 8.8.8.8 while they are behind your second router.

Code
    traceroute 192.168.1.1
    traceroute 8.8.8.8

Could you post the results?

BTW I use a router as a switch. I connect it to the primary router through one of the switch ports. This way it just acts as a switch. On the second router i set up with a fixed ip and disabled routing, dhcp and dns.

• I'm probably doing this wrong but I get: -bash: traceroute: command not found
    whilst telneting into OMV...

tried the same cmd through windows just in-case. Also doesn't work there. Assume that I don't know the steps to running these commands as i'm learning a lot still with Linux.

• Traceroute is installed by

Code
    apt-get install traceroute

You need to be root
    or

Code
    sudo apt-get install traceroute

if you have installed sudo

On windows i think the name is tracert
    start - run - command - tracert <ip_you_wish_to_trace_the_route_to>

• Thought you might say I needed to install it :D since the domains aren't resolving it can't get the app.

From Windows cmd I get (same from both 2ndry routers i've tried) Both have dhcp turned off and the dns set to the gateways + googles:
    C:\Users\Thomas>tracert 192.168.1.1

Code
    Tracing route to BRIGHTBOX [192.168.1.1]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     3 ms     3 ms     3 ms  BRIGHTBOX [192.168.1.1]

Trace complete.

One thing I don't understand is, if the router and nasbox can't resolve domains. Then why can my desktop, laptop, mobiles etc ?

• Sorry i didn't think of this. you can download it here:
    http://ftp.us.debian.org/debia…ceroute_2.0.15-1_ia64.deb 64 bit
    or
    http://ftp.us.debian.org/debia…ceroute_2.0.15-1_i386.deb 32 bit

Upload it to you OMV, Login via ssh and install by:

Code
    dpkg -i path_to_your_upload/traceroute*
  • Took me a while to find out how to find my share directory....

Code
    traceroute 192.168.1.1
    traceroute to 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)  25.493 ms  25.514 ms  25.508 ms

Code
    traceroute 8.8.8.8
    traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)  21.576 ms  21.562 ms  21.551 ms
     2  213.1.112.169 (213.1.112.169)  34.442 ms  35.821 ms  37.006 ms

It then proceeded to come up with loads of different IP's maybe because I tried copying from PUTTY and it re entered what I copied.

A little test with a domain

Finally, maybe a silly question but i'm just using lan port to lan port on the routers. There is a wan port on the primary router though but not on the slave.

• I should probably laugh....... but it's not really funny.

Switch has arrived. nas box still won't resolve domains.....
    Switch is connected to main router(gateway), nas box is connected to switch. Nas box obtains IP via DHCP. Nasbox doesn't have dns set and obtains everything automatically.

ifconfig output. Don't really know if/what the loopback is right.

Would a re-install help at this stage? Or could the EE BrightBox (router) be blocking me in some way? I'm testing the dns resolution by doing traceroutes of domains via telnet on OMV from the nasbox.

• Hi Bibib
    This looks very "interesting". It seems from your ifconfig that you have no hw address (MAC) on eth0. I don't know why because the traceroute seems to work som you have a working ethernet interfaces. Can you ping the OMV on address 192.168.1.111 from an other pc on your network?

Did you let the traceroute for 8.8.8.8 run to the end - like it reached 8.8.8.8. There should a load of other ips in the route to 8.8.8.8. These are the routers your packages is passing through on the way to 8.8.8.8. Please post the complete ourput.

An other tool to try on your OMV is nslookup.

Code
    nslookup
    >8.8.8.8

It should answer something like this:

if you don't have nslookup you can find it in the dnsutils package here:
    http://ftp.us.debian.org/debia….dfsg-1~squeeze9_ia64.deb64 bit. Download and install by:

Code
    dpkg -i <path_to_your_download>/dnsutils*

Please post your /etc/network/interfaces as it is now. The same for /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf
    Please notice that if you edit any of these or other Linux files on a Windows pc and copy the over to OMV they will cause strange behavior because Windows and Linux uses different <CR><LF>. Thus allways edit Linux/OMV configuration files only on your OMV box.

• Thanks. I removed my mac address, so assume that part was normal.

Traceroute on Googles DNS, goes nasbox - > gateway router, external IP's and carries on for a while I can also ping my nasbox 192.168.1.111

nslookup doesn't seem to get anywhere

Code
    nslookup 8.8.8.8
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

/etc/network/interfaces

Code
    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# eth0 network interface
    auto eth0
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
        pre-down ethtool -s $IFACE wol g

/etc/hosts

Code
    127.0.0.1       localhost
    127.0.1.1       openmediavault.local    openmediavault

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

And I think we have a winner for what is wrong?
    /etc/resolv.conf

Code
    search local
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
  • All this other stuff is nonsense til you get this resolved.

Code
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr -----------
              inet addr:192.168.1.111  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:935 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:347 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:130927 (127.8 KiB)  TX bytes:75669 (73.8 KiB)
              Interrupt:18

No mac address and your showing the ip address as the address of your router?

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

All this other stuff is nonsense til you get this resolved.

Code
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr -----------
              inet addr:192.168.1.111  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:935 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:347 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:130927 (127.8 KiB)  TX bytes:75669 (73.8 KiB)
              Interrupt:18

No mac address and your showing the ip address as the address of your router?

I removed the MAC address.. dunno why, thought it was for security. My routers IP is 192.168.1.1, my nasbox is 192.168.1.111

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!