[Resolved twice] Lost OMV on my network

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

You cannot remove the mac address. Where did you edit?

I just meant I edited it out of my posts. I've not actually touched it on the nasbox.
    This is the full unedited output. appologies for any confusion. I've been updating my post from 3 posts back with the other details

• That file shows you are dynamic, which you are not.

change to this:

Then reboot.

• And I think we have a winner for what is wrong?
    /etc/resolv.conf

Code
    search local
    nameserver 192.168.0.1

Not sure what you mean about not being dynamic? I'm obtaining an IP via dhcp. It's not set up statically, as far as I know.

• should be 192.168.1.1

You should just change to static ip in omv weg-gui. This will fix all this.

Go into network/Interfaces and then highlight your nic and click on edit
    method: static
    address: whatever you want
    netmask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.1.1
    mtu: 1500

click on ok and then go to dns server set
    primary 192.168.1.1
    secondary 8.8.8.8

then click on ok.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

should be 192.168.1.1

Finally!!! Yup that worked. After all of that, it was down to 1 number. As far as I know that setting wasn't exposed through the GUI or changed when I ran firstaid.

Bet the router would still work now... switch only arrived today.

Thanks for all your help with this!! You've all been really patient!

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Glad it fixed but you should use fixed ip for a server.

C-ya

Yeah I will and I always have. I just made that change whilst trying to get things to work. I don't think that was the problem though, as I had set the IP to be static several times whilst trying to get this to work.

I was getting fed up of loosing connection to the nasbox and having to re-hookup a monitor.

Still wondering why the nameserver would remain as that after all the other changes.

• Got a feeling the resolv.conf file is pulling from this file.

/etc/resolvconf/run/interfaces/eth0.inet

Have you rebooted to verify setting will hold?

**Also, your dhcp server may be holding info for this mac address from when it was hooked up to the other router. You may have to unplug your router and plug back in. It seems the dns server when dynamic is gathered from the interface. When you are dynamic it is supplied by the dhcp server.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Got a feeling the resolv.conf file is pulling from this file.

/etc/resolvconf/run/interfaces/eth0.inet

Have you rebooted to verify setting will hold?

Not yet, will do tomorrow (late) . I'll probably just check the file you've mentioned first.

• Had server off all night and this morning, both files stated the name server as the gateway router.

I'll try disconnecting it from the network later, just to be 100% it's sticking. Was it a bug that the nameserver didn't update properly initially?

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

I think old settings from the DHCP server were feeding info to the nic. I don't think the problem was your OMV.

The DHCP server was swapped (gateway router changed) which had a different subnet. The slave router (switch) didn't have dhcp enabled but probably had a static IP assigned for that MAC address. The slave router was then swapped for another router which didn't fix the problem.

Anyway, i'm just glad it's working now.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!