[Resolved twice] Lost OMV on my network

• Hey,
    Changed router which used a different IP range. I managed to switch over OMV and use DHCP to obtain its IP.
    I was having some issues with sabnzbd, which I thought was related to this so I deleted the automatic network recognisition which I thought would mean OMV would keep the static IP or just pick it up from the router, where i've set a static IP.

It didn't and now I can't connect to it.
    I've tried plugging a monitor in to see if a IP comes up and it doesn't

I really don't want to have to install OMV again!!! That seems to be the fix for all problems. :lol: but it's just time consuming.

• Please give me the output of the following command

Code
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    ifconfig
    ifconfig -a

Try to disable and enable your interface, do a dhcp request afterwards:

Code
    ifconfig eth0 down && ifconfig eth0 up
    dhclient eth0

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Can't see my whole screen but from what I can see:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces

"# the loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback"

ipconfig
    -bash: ipconfig: command not found

• Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr: -
    inet addr: 192.168.1.111 bcast: 192.168.1.255 (mask: 255.255.255.0
    ---- stuff

Link encap: local loopback
    inet addr: 127.0.0.1 mask 255.0.0.0
    --- stuff

Having to type this so let me know if there is anything specefic.

• Code
    cat /etc/network/interfaces | more

So you can see all of it.

But if i'm right and your eth0 config is missing do the following

Code
    nano /etc/network/interfaces

and make your file look like:

Code
    # Loopback device:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# device: eth0
    auto  eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

Save with CTRL+O
    Exit with CTRL+X

after that do a

Code
    /etc/init.d/networking restart

And if that alone does not gives you a new ip, do:

Code
    dhclient eth0

Check if you got an IP via

Code
    ifconfig eth0

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Great, back in.

Cheers guys!

David you were right. I deleted eth0.... was having some trouble with sabnzbd connecting to a server after the router switch. Thought having dhcp set was my problem.

• No, your problem was probably that you did not update your dns server after router change. When your network gets big it's a lot easier to change the new routers ip then to redo your whole network. Hint...

• Don't suppose either of you might know why i'm now having trouble connecting to the domain of my newsgroup? I can connect to its ip. Guys this means a dns issue.

My network is slightly more complicated as i'm connected via a repurposed router, which then goes to homeplugs and then into the router/modem.
    Pretty sure i've switch all the IP ranges etc over. (this odd setup is why I didn't just keep the same range)

EDIT --- I don't have DNS set in OMV.

• The repurposed router, what kind is it. Is it using a seperate subnet? Did you make sure to change the setting Gateway to Router? and set an ip on the same subnet as your main router?

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

The repurposed router, what kind is it. Is it using a seperate subnet? Did you make sure to change the setting Gateway to Router? and set an ip on the same subnet as your main router?

http://s23.postimg.org/ejjn1xh8b/routers.png

Thought it was easier just to post a image.

Gateway on first router

DHCP Settings on first router
    Start IP 192.168.1.2
    End IP 192.168.1.253

First router is a ee BrightBox

2nd is a O2 IV (or similar model)

Thanks!

• Do you have anything connected on the 1st router? Is this router provided by your ISP? Ideally you only want to run 1 dns server and 1 dhcp server on your main or best router. You turn the dhcp server off on the 2ndary router and switch it from being a gateway to just a router. I am not familiar with these routers and would have to go thru their manuals. Let's say you use subnet 192.168.1.x for your lan. Your main router would be 192.168.1.1 and you could make the 2nd router's ip 192.168.1.3 (and turn off the dhcp server on the 2nd router). You should have a setting where the dhcp server settings can be set to a dhcp forwarder on the 2nd router. You would put in address of the 1st router in the dhcp forwarder section (which is the address of it's dhcp server). So on your 1st router you setup a dhcp range of say 192.168.1.100-150.

Anyway, I don't know your experience level. There is some work on getting this setup correctly. I would recommend a gigabit switch in place of the 2nd router. Then you would not have to mess with all this, it would be dead simple.

I'm shopping for a new laptop right now. I'm sure the other people will elaborate.

• I'm reasonably clued up on these things... I actually look after several servers as part of my job.
    Just not particularly familiar with linux.

I've set my 2nd routers IP outside of the range provided by the 1st. i.e. 2 - 253. So my 2nd router is 254
    I've turned DHCP off on the 2nd, so that the first provides all the IP's. As far as I can tell there ar eno dhcp forwarding options on the 2nd and I've looked fairly extensively.

DNS wise, I assume the first is getting this from the ISP. Not sure about the 2nd, I will try and investigate. I guess to make the 2nd get it from the first, then I would put the firsts gateway (router ip) in place of whatever is there? (http://www.o2help.co.uk/router-change-dns/)

Previously this all used to work on a different subnet, with a different 1st router. So it makes me think that there might be an issue with the 1st...

I've also turned DHCP on, on my OMV nasbox, so that it obtains an IP automatically.

EDIT ----

Potentially completely wrong thing to try but I put Googles public dns into OMV and that still didn't work when trying to access a domain......

stumped.

• So I was thinking this morning that the problem must be on my nasbox with OMV. They're several devices connected to the 2nd router, which can resolve domain names. It's the nasbox which can't resolve them... Does that sound right?

I changed the DNS of the 2nd router to the firsts IP. that didn't do anything though and I didn't have to do that the first time I had this working.

• Changed DNS to the first router, then ran

Code
    /etc/init.d/networking restart

and got

Still no luck

Also didn't work for the 2nd. I am still using DHCP as my method for obtaining ip for OMV. Should I change this to static?

Also the gateway looks odd in above, or I could be reading that wrong.

It should be:
    Gateway 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

• You should just set a fixed ip at /etc/network/interfaces
    Here is an exmple:

The 2nd dns server, 8.8.8.8, is Google's name server.

• Still nothing. I'm tempted to just resintall at this stage. No idea whether it'll fix it...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!