Rock64 media board

• Just got a Rock64 media board and can't find an OMV image that works.

Tried to ones that are on the pine64 web site but they don't work.

Apparently a lot of people are having the same problem.

There Ubuntu image does work so I think the board is good?

Any suggestions?

Rich Prim

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• https://github.com/ayufan-rock…build/releases/tag/0.6.44 (that's latest release, everything more recent is 'pre-release' AKA beta)

Take care that you choose an image for 'rock64' but not 'rockpro64'.

The images are now created for two different but slightly incompatible boards available at the same location. I personally managed to download the wrong image four times now within the last three weeks (testing with RockPro64 and downloading Rock64 images that will never boot). So you're not alone :)

• Sorry for the late reply....

I also spent three days testing Beta versions (0.6.57) and omv image does not work.
    I tested stretch-minimal-rock64-0.6.57-270-arm64.img and it worked...
    Then I realized that I was using a Pre-release version, and I scroll down the page until found First STABLE Version 0.6.44 and it works.

Now waiting to have spare time for real tests....

OMV 4.x. OMV-Extras ZFS iSCSI Infiniband. Testing OMV 5.1. Testing OMV arm64

• I see you are using the arm64 version, some people have said the armhf version.
    I will surely try this.
    Thanks so much for the quick response.
    I was getting a little disappointing.
    I did get version 0.5.101-armhf to work and after a upgrade it is working.
    But this is openmediavault version 3.
    Rich Prim

• I have now tried both the stretch-openmediavault-rock64-0.6.44-239 armhf and arm64 images
    Neither work.
    I have rock64-0.5.136 (openmediavault ver 3) and this works.
    My rock64 board is the 2 gb ram memory board.

Rich Prim

• HI,
    I have rock64 2GB board.
    I´m using stretch-openmediavault-rock64-0.6.44-239-armhf.img.xz image. It installed omv 4.xx
    It works, and I've succesfully updated via GUI to 4.1.8.2-1

I've not tested any more....

• I have now tried both the stretch-openmediavault-rock64-0.6.44-239 armhf and arm64 images
    Neither work.

I've tested both and they worked fine for me.

The main difference between armhf and arm64 is that

• armhf allows for better compatibility with some OMV components (most notable Plex media server which only exists in an armhf variant and needs some config hassles to get it working in an arm64 installation)
    • armhf needs significantly less memory compared to arm64 (for whatever reasons 64-bit code eats more memory while only providing slight performance improvements)

But if you have 2 GB board and do not use Plex media server then it shouldn't matter that much which variant you choose.

• As I said I tried both and neither work?
    The image that does work good is rock64-0.5.15-136-armhf.img. (OVM 3 image)
    Could the board be bad?
    Not sure, it does run ubuntu and other images.
    My board is a ROCK64_V2.0
    2017 - 0713
    Yes and 2 gig of ram
    I am at a loss how to fix this, I wonder if there is a image to test the board?
    Rich Prim

• Got it working, I used the 0.6.44-239-arm64.img version.
    What confused me was at the end of the script, it said "no network interfaces available" and now ip address.
    So I assumed it needed omv-firstaid to get a ip address setup.
    Actually it was working and i found the ip address using zenmap.
    Once I logged in it worked.
    When I tried to go to omv-firstaid via the local monitor and keyboard connection, each time i typed a letter it would output a line of code.
    I was able to get to the omv-firstaid locally, but when I tried to change the ip address, I got "expected at least 5 tokens for --menu have 4.
    When logging in via ssh, as root, it would not accept the password "openmediavault".
    My computer is using Ubuntu 18.04.
    Thank you for all the help.
    I hope this information is a help to someone else.
    Rich Prim

• When logging in via ssh, as root, it would not accept the password "openmediavault".

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases/ clearly points out:

Code
    Credentials:

* All variants except OMV: rock64/rock64
    * OMV: admin/openmediavault (for Web), root/openmediavault (for Console). To enable SSH for OMV go to Web > SSH > Permit Root Login > Save > Apply

And "no network interfaces available" at a local display is simply the result of Rock64 booting 'too fast'. BTW: there's really no reason to connect any OMV SBC to keyboard/display. Always only increases confusion. OMV is headless...

• Offizieller Beitrag

it said "no network interfaces available" and now ip address.

See Problem #7 here - Solutions to common problems

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I can now login via SSH but get the following when i go to "omv-firstaid" and click on the net work setup

ERROR: dialog-like terminated due to an error: the dialog-like program exited with status 3 (which was passed to it as the DIALOG_ERROR environment variable). Sometimes, the reason is simply that dialog was given a height or width parameter that is too big for the terminal in use. Its output, with leading and trailing whitespace stripped, was:

Error: Expected at least 5 tokens for --menu, have 4.
    Use --help to list options.
    root@rock64:~#

• I just received Rock64. (OrangePi Zero Plus was out of stock in my area)

I am too a convert from Rpi 3B+ land after reading tkaiser's comprehensive post of comparison/recommendation of low power-consuming SBCs. Thank you. All I can say is "I didn't know better"

I appreciate all the effort putting into the making of the image and I can confirm that the stable image (0.6.44) works.
    (ssh works normally, but when I setup a keyboard and HDMI connection to Rock64, some message appears every time I press a key and forces a linefeed, not sure this is ok)

I have a couple of questions if somebody can help please,

Q1.
    If I want to use eMMC someday - I purchased it thinking it is just a faster SD, not exactly knowing what I would face - do I have to wipe out current SD with newer (newer than 0.6.53) image to copy it to eMMC or is there any way to upgrade from current 0.6.44 stable image?

Q2.
    With the lastest image 0.6.57, my Rock64 shows first initial screen without problem then within a second or two, broken screen appears (with usual boot messages but various colored dots, lines all over the screen) and booting process stops.

I am not trying to use 0.6.57, but I am just worrying about the faulty hardware (various dots all over the screen may mean screen memory is overwritten by bug or may be a hardware failure) Is this normal output with 0.6.57 pre-release?

• I am not trying to use 0.6.57, but I am just worrying about the faulty hardware (various dots all over the screen may mean screen memory is overwritten by bug or may be a hardware failure) Is this normal output with 0.6.57 pre-release?

I had similar 'screen symptoms' with 0.6.57 ...

• If I want to use eMMC someday - I purchased it thinking it is just a faster SD, not exactly knowing what I would face - do I have to wipe out current SD with newer (newer than 0.6.53) image to copy it to eMMC or is there any way to upgrade from current 0.6.44 stable image?

You can clone your installation on SD card to eMMC either locally (booting from SD card with eMMC present, then doing a device clone with dd and afterwards syncing one time again with rsync) or offline if you purchase the USB-eMMC adapter (strongly recommended). Simply shut the board down, create an image from the SD card with ddrescue on macOS or Linux (no Windows user so no idea which software you would use there) and then insert the eMMC in the USB adapter and burn the image with Etcher.

Upgrades are not related to this. You get all relevant stuff via (apt) updates anyway.

For details this here is not the right place to ask, better join pine64 forum or IRC :)

• ........ each time i typed a letter it would output a line of code.

I also have this behavior, and seems is related to debug level of keyboard. Yo can find more info here:
    https://forum.pine64.org/archive/index.php?thread-6121.html

As a resume, you must reduce keyboard log level from 7 to 4 by isuing :
    echo 4 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

This will make problem dissapear , until a new reboot.....

You can add this command to /etc.rc.local to be executed on every reboot.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von vcp_ai () aus folgendem Grund: tipo

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!