[RESOLVED] WOL issues with OMV and Realtek NIC driver

• Hi there

Over the last few days, I've set up an OMV machine. This NAS really flies! I can get consistently 60~90 mbs transfer, where as XP manages only 20 mbs, and unRaid 60 mbs on the same machine.

However, I just can't get WOL working at all!
    - I've search extensively on WOL in OMV and Squeeze, and tried all the suggestions I've found
    - The same machine wakes happily under XP and unRaid
    - WOL is enabled in the bios
    - WOL is enabled in OMV web gui
    - the machine is an Acer Veriton 5800 with Marvell Yukon 88E8052 PCI-E ASF Gigabit Ethernet Controller on main board
    - my interfaces file looks like this (relevant part)

Code
    # eth0 network interface
    auto eth0
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.1.1.200
        gateway 10.1.1.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        mtu 1500
        pre-down ethtool -s $IFACE wol g
        up ethtool -s $IFACE wol g

ethtool eth0 looks like this:

I've totally run out of ideas on how to resolve this. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm no linux guru but I can get around (thanks to google).

thanks & regards

• Just a wild guess, as i don't have it in my interfaces, remove the following line:

Code
    up ethtool -s $IFACE wol g

Reboot after that and shutdown again.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks David. I originally didn't have that line, but my searches led me to adding it, as a way of making g persistent between boots (which it originally wasn't - but now is). In any case, it's presence or not doesn't effect the issue.

Thanks anyway

• How do you have to wake it up once it does go to sleep?

Do the network port LED's stay on when the computer goes to sleep?

Are you using the AutoShutDown plugin?

Since it did wake before maybe it is a sleep issue rather than a wake issue.

• Zitat von "DaveVM"

How do you have to wake it up once it does go to sleep?

Press the front panel button.

Zitat von "DaveVM"

Do the network port LED's stay on when the computer goes to sleep?

This particular board doesn't have LED's on the NIC port. However the switch does light up orange on that port when it (the OMV PC) is powered down (normally orange for 100mbs, green for 1000mbs), which suggests it can "see" the NIC.

Zitat von "DaveVM"

Are you using the AutoShutDown plugin?

I've tried it both with and without. Currently, it's not installed as I am shutting down the OMV PC down manually with a command.

Zitat von "DaveVM"

Since it did wake before maybe it is a sleep issue rather than a wake issue.

I have the same WOL non-behaviour whether I use shutdown, pm-sleep, or pm-hibernate.

Thanks for your input!

Simon

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

What motherboard do you have?

This is the output from Piriform Speccy for the motherboard"

I booted into XP to obtain this, and just again tested sleep/WOL - worked no problem.

Just found this, and it seems to describe my problem perfectly:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Wak…_RTL8111.2F8168_.28etc.29

Not sure how to find out what chip I have. The two solutions seem to be getting a new NIC, or some freaky driver patching (if this is indeed my problem).

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
    Simon

• Look at this, is similar to yours:

* Open computer management (right click my computer and click manage or Start > Run > compmgmt.msc > OK
    * Open Device manager
    * Expand Network adapters
    * Right click the Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E gigabit ethernet controller and click Properties
    * Click the Advanced tab
    * Make the following changes in the list:
    - Wake up capabilities - set this to magic packet
    - Wake up from shutdown - set this to on
    * Click the Power Management tab
    * Untick all boxes on that tab so the network card is not turned off.
    * OK all dialog boxes to save.

There are settings you cannot adjust. If you make these changes in windows, via the windows driver, then come back and try in omv. It sounds like you still have windows on another drive. Your card is turning off and that is why you have to put this line in " up ethtool -s $IFACE wol g" which you should not need to have in the in the /etc/network/interfaces.

• Thanks for trying to help. I did have the advanced driver settings as you suggest.

Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Look at this, is similar to yours:
    * Untick all boxes on that tab so the network card is not turned off.

On XP, the tickbox to enable WOL (in windows), is dependent on the first one (allow windows to turn this device off to save power). SO, disabling the first one disables WOL (in Windows). In any event, I tried it and it didn't fix the issue. But did disable WOL for Windows.

Zitat von "tekkbebe"

There are settings you cannot adjust. If you make these changes in windows, via the windows driver, then come back and try in omv. It sounds like you still have windows on another drive. Your card is turning off and that is why you have to put this line in " up ethtool -s $IFACE wol g" which you should not need to have in the in the /etc/network/interfaces.

I agree that the card is turning off, but I'm pretty sure it's Linux and not Windows thats doing it. Yes I still have XP on another drive.

Any thoughts on the Realtek driver issue I posted above?

thanks again.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Also, what are you using to try and wake it up?

wolcmd, wol2, wakemeonlan, directly from fritzbox router. All wake it from S state on windows boot, none from OMV / Linux.

thanks.

• Hi tekkbebe

Oh I already have that set. Sorry - I should have noted that. Thanks for your help. I think we've exhausted most of it. I will attempt a derring-do patch of the kernel driver, but expect that (or rather myself) to fail. Next stop, I'll but a new NIC.

thanks again

• Did you try as that link suggested and put this above the "exit 0" line in the /etc/rc.local file?

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

Should be the last think executed after all the run levels are shutdown. One would think that would leave the nic active.

PS- beforre you buy a new nic make sure that motherboard is able to leave a pci slot powered on shutdown. I had issue with old p4 motherboard that none of the pci slots were able to remain active on shutdown.

• Maybee this is because your mobo doesn't support waking from the "sleep" or "off" mode it is in. I have a Fit-pc that only can WOL when it is in suspend to memory mode. From off the Fit-pc dosn't have the capability to start by WOL.

You can try the waking up from different sleep modes by trying with rtcwake:

Try:

Code
    sudo rtcwake -s 60 -m standby
    or
    sudo rtcwake -s 60 -m mem
    or
    sudo rtcwake -s 60 -m disk

just to see what states it can wake from
    The command shutdowns the pc and restart it by the RTC within 60 seconds.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!