Advice for setting up a backup routine.

• Hello.

I have had my NAS set up with OMV for a few years now and have got things in such a good state that I want to think about backing things up, properly.

At the moment, I have quite a few hard drives installed:

1 x SSD (running OMV)
    2 x 2TB 3.5"
    1 x 6TB 3.5"
    1 x 500GB 2.5"
    1 x 500GB 3.5" (IDE)

Around 1TB of this is super important (photos and camcorder footage) and I keep a copy of this on a 1TB hard drive in my desktop PC (I keep the two in sync by adding a copy of new files to both disks at the same time).

I have reached the point that I have so much music/recordings that I am thinking about trying to protect everything else.

I am also worried that if my SSD broke (or OMV became corrupted), I am not sure that I could remember how to get everything back into the perfect state that it is.

Any advice on what I should do/buy, please?

What do you guys do to keep everything backed up?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have a look at the backup strategy proposed in my signature.
    Personally I do a backup to the second OMV and to two external hard drive using the usb backup plugin. One of the external hard drives I store at work (physically separated). Most important data are backed up to the cloud using an account at pCloud. Backup in this case is done with Duplicati.

Regarding the system drive: make a clone of the drive using clonezilla; on top you can make screenshots of the important settings in the GUI. Also keep a copy of config.xml as a reference.

• Thanks very much tha, Macom.

Have to just say that I love your hardware choices, as per your signature - simple but no doubt very effective!

So am I correct that you (personally) have four copies of important documents - three at home (on your Asrock, on your HC2 and one of the USB harddrives) plus one at work (on the other USB harddrives)?

With very important work, you have a fifth copy in the cloud?

Is there any point in considering Snapraid and putting another 6TB harddrive in my server for parity?

My thinking was that it would act as a secondary backup for everything like recordings and DVD rips that would be very irritating if I lost them but ultimately replaceable.

In addition to this, I would keep on backing up the irreplacable stuff (like photos) to a hard drive that I would need to start keeping a work, rather than at home.

With regards to the OS drive:

So ultimately, I should keep an OS backup folder in my storage, which contains screenshots of my latest settings, a copy of the OS (using clonezilla) and a latest copy of the config.xml?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Right, I probably have too many copies, but it is also from trying things out ;)

Is there any point in considering Snapraid and putting another 6TB harddrive in my server for parity?

I do not use Snapraid. I hope somebody else steps in.

So ultimately, I should keep an OS backup folder in my storage, which contains screenshots of my latest settings, a copy of the OS (using clonezilla) and a latest copy of the config.xml?

I have the image of my OS drive on the external USB disk. So it is a bit more protected than if the drive is installed in the server.

• Thanks very much for that.

I have been doing a bit more research and I think that what you are are doing is the best idea - i.e. have a mirrored backup on another device, rather than using snapraid.

What I intend to do is get two of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seaga…e+4tb+hard+drive+internal

and then do this:

Device 1 (main NAS) - 1 x 6TB and 1 x 4TB (plus SSD for OMV)

Device 2 (backup NAS) - 1 x 4TB, 2 x 2TB, 1 x 500GB, 1 x 500GB

Device 3 (USB backup) - 1 x 1TB

Device 2 will backup everything from Device 1 that I have not ripped and, in addition, Device 3 will hold a further copy of the absolutely irreplaceable stuff (photos etc.)

My current NAS uses a G1840 and a mATX board with 12GB of RAM. I will take 8GB of the RAM out (leaving 4GB) and use this as the backup device.

This means that I need to buy myself a new main NAS (that can use the two sticks of 4GB RAM I will have free).

What do you think I should get?

Should I go for a passive Mini-ITX x86 board or consider an ARM device (like the Rock64 or something by Odroid)?

If your Q1900DC-ITX broke, what do you think you would replace it with?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This post and the complete thread might be interesting for you
    Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?

If your Q1900DC-ITX broke, what do you think you would replace it with?

I am glad I do not have to ask this question to myself ^^

I propose you open a new thread, describe what you want to achieve and ask for feedback.
    Important to describe what you want to do with your NAS. Pure storage, or web server, or media server and so on.

• This post and the complete thread might be interesting for you
    Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?

I am glad I do not have to ask this question to myself ^^
    I propose you open a new thread, describe what you want to achieve and ask for feedback.
    Important to describe what you want to do with your NAS. Pure storage, or web server, or media server and so on.

Thanks macom - shall do.

Thanks very much for your help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!