Why is OMV not an application? (sub-system?)

• I'm very sorry if I don't use the correct terms... But why is OMV bundled with its OS? That is, I like Linux, but why not let it be installed as a sub-system (?) application (?) what ever the correct term might be under say Ubuntu?

I have an install on a nice little stand alone single-board (Helios) and its fine... but I'd like to install on a regular amd64 system and I only see a download for a system that includes debian. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that this will lead to the same system that is only accessed thru the OMV web page presented.

I like that OMV seems to present a very nice interface for the management of a network storage system, but maybe I'd like a regular desktop environment too. ???

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV is just a package but it is tied to a very specific version of Debian. That is why it is packaged with it. Different releases of Linux (Ubuntu included) have different package names, different package managers, and different versions of the packages (which might have a different config).

I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that this will lead to the same system that is only accessed thru the OMV web page presented.

Not sure what you mean but you should have no problem with two independent OMV systems.

but maybe I'd like a regular desktop environment too. ???

We recommend against this. OMV is designed to be a headless NAS not a desktop.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sorry, yes, I too am sure that two OMV's would work fine, my question was that I assume the AMd64 system, once loaded with the amd64 iso would be a (physically) big version of the (physically) small Helios system already running OMV. That the access would more or less only access would be on the OMV web page that each would present. (Other than a command shell) Yes?

I can understand this approach on the little Raspberry and other such with limited resources, but I was hoping that with a bit more heavy duty system, like a typical amd64, that the hardware would certainly support a desktop as well as OMV.

I take it that sort of set up isn't of interest enough for development? Don't get me wrong, I really like the little Helios that's running in a shoe box size box. I was just hoping that given more hardware OMV could be part of the system, not the whole system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

my question was that I assume the AMd64 system, once loaded with the amd64 iso would be a (physically) big version of the (physically) small Helios system already running OMV. That the access would more or less only access would be on the OMV web page that each would present. (Other than a command shell) Yes?

Yes.

I take it that sort of set up isn't of interest enough for development?

Nope. There are plenty of other ways to run a desktop environment on the system using virtualization. One way is you could install a desktop distro and run OMV as a VM.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!