planned upgrade from 2.2.4 to latest repo

• Good morning (to those of us on US East Coast). I set up my server back in 2015 and have not had to do much with it since February of 2016 (judging by my last thread in here). By the time I finished that set up I had a pretty fair understanding of what I was doing - but I am old, and with the passage of time most of that has faded. In all events, I was pretty consistent about updating the OS and plugins. I principally used it as a mediaserver using the plex plugin but have not been able to do so for some time because the plex plugin became outdated and could no longer be updated because I am still using Stoneburner 2.2.4. To the point, I have been looking at upgrading/updating to the latest recommended repo but have backed-off because I am uncertain which to go with, and because from what I have read I need to do a clean install and, if I do a clean install, what do I need to do with snapraid and my aufs/mhddfs pool. I would appreciate first, a suggestion as to which repo is recommended - and with that, if I need to do a clean install how do I handle my existing snapraid and aufs setup?

I appreciate any assistance anyone can offer. Everyone has always been great on here.

GTE

G Elliott

System:
    Silverstone Tek DS380B Mini-ITX DTX NAS Case
    Silverstone Tek 450W SFX PSU
    ASUS H87I-Plus Mini ITX
    Intel Pentium G3420 3.2GHZ
    Patriot G2 2x4 GB DDR3
    Samsung EVO 120 GB SSD (System)
    WD Black 4x4TB (Media)
    Openmediavault 4.1.8.2-1 (Arrakis)
    Plexmedia Server - remote media access
    XBMC - Kodi for local/home theater (SMB)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I recommend a fresh install of OMV 4.x. Your aufs pool will have to be changed to mergerfs via the unionfilesystems plugin. Luckily both of these filesystems sit on top of the disk's filesystem so this isn't a problem. I also recommend running plex in docker. This thread and these videos should help

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you Ryecoarron. I appreciate your help. My snapraid array consists of 3 4TB data drives and one parity drive. The three data drives (media1, media2 and media3) are pooled as "Allmedia" in AuFS. I guess what I'm cloudy on is - once I, more or less, clear the existing OS - what happens to all of that configuration? What has spooled through my mind is that, before I start monkeying with the System drive, I would need to unmount, delete or remove the auFS pool, and somehow "undo" the snapraid configuration - then somehow clear all of the configuration data out so that I can start over once the new OS is installed.

I suspect this suggests how little I recall or understood about snapraid and AuFS, or how they do their thing.

Thanks again

GTE

G Elliott

System:
    ASUS H87I-Plus Mini ITX
    Patriot G2 2x4 GB DDR3
    WD Black 4x4TB (Media)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The existing config will go away since the system drive will be wiped. You will need to re-setup everything like you had before. snapraid also works on top of the drives existing filesystems. So, just set it up the way you had it and it should be ok.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Got it. Thanks again Ryecoaaron. Gonna work on it first thing in the morning.

G. Elliott

G Elliott

System:
    ASUS H87I-Plus Mini ITX
    Patriot G2 2x4 GB DDR3
    WD Black 4x4TB (Media)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!