Raspberry pi missing raid 1

• Hi,

So, I have been happily using OMV 3.0.99 for a while to store my family photos but the raid 1 has disappeared.

I have a pi3 and two 1tb USB drives.

Having read a few posts it seems my first mistake was using raid 1 and I would have been better using rsync.

Hopefully someone can assist in reviving my raid setup. I have attached below the information that I see requested in other posts. Let me know if any extra is required.

cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities :
    unused devices:

blkid

fdisk -l | grep "Disk "

cat /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

mdadm --detail --scan --verbose
    This command returned no information.

Hopefully this info can help identify and fix the problem.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Teamllama () aus folgendem Grund: Altered title and formatting

• he response from the command is here

Nothing suspicious except that your board runs somewhat hot (not relevant) and is still on kernel 4.9 (should be on 4.14 if you installed all updates).

The disks seem to be ok but there's no raid occurence whatsoever in your dmesg output. I don't use mdraid for a number of reasons so unfortunately can't help any further...

• mdraid does seem to be an issue.

It is running rather hot at the moment, mostly because the temperature in the room isn't dropping below 27C, even at night.

Thank you for taking a look through all of the data i posted. Hopefully someone else will see this post and be able to assist.

At least i now know the issue is with mdraid so i can research that.

• It looks like there might be a possible root to a solution in this post - https://superuser.com/question…-raid-vanish-after-reboot

I just don't understand it! Hopefully someone else will be able to translate.

When i get home later i will try running

Code
    # update-initramfs -u

and see what that does.

My main concern is loosing all my photos of my children. They were also saved on my laptop but it's hard drive died last week!

I think i will also try adding the follow i found on the raspberry pi forum. The boot delay might dive everything time to settle down in time to load correctly.

Code
    Anyway, yes you can pause, the boot process by adding a line to the /boot/config.txt
    Run this command:
    sudo nano /boot/config.txt

And add the line
    boot_delay=5

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Teamllama () aus folgendem Grund: added boot delay info

• Update for anyone reading this in future who has the same problem.

Adding a boot delay had no effect.

Running update-initramfs -u had no effect

However running the following two commands got one of the drives reconnected to the raid array and i was able to access the data. Inside OMV it is now reporting that the array is "Clean, degraded".

mdadm --stop --scan
    mdadm --assemble --scan

I am currently copying the contents to another drive. Once that is complete i will experiment some more to see if I can fix the array.

If not at least i will be able to wipe it and start again, maybe not using raid 1.

• at least i will be able to wipe it and start again, maybe not using raid 1

You should really keep in mind what RAID-1 is for. It's data availability only and not related to anything related to data security or protection. It's 'business continuity' and you certainly don't need this at home and especially it's a joke if you try to do this with such a lousy hardware as any Raspberry Pi (with some better ARM boards you can play RAID but not with those lousy Raspberries).

• Usually you don't want RAID-1 (especially not the primitive mdraid variant)
    • If you want to play RAID you probably want server grade hardware but need at least reliable hardware since RAID is designed with 'underlying hardware works flawlessly' in mind. That prevents RAID in situations where underpowering and sudden power losses can occur
    • You never want USB RAID
    • You never ever want USB RAID where all disks are behind one single point of failure called USB hub (this is always the case with any Raspberry Pi since those devices only have one single USB port so all USB receptacles are behind one or even two internal USB hubs -- yeah, they managed to make things even worse with their latest RPi 3B+)

So please do yourself a favour and forget about RAID with a Raspberry Pi (better forget about this lousy hardware at all and choose one of the many better options)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!