OMV for RockPro64 (and other RK3399 devices soon)

• the T4 has its static IP adress

My question was whether you configured this 'static IP address' via OMV UI or not. If you did it the OMV way then Debian's ifupdown package controls the NIC but if you leave things as they are when booting first time (or set a static address via nmtui) then Network Manager has control (and with NM this should work -- I have no idea about ifupdown since I hate using anachronistic mechanisms from last century)

• My question was whether you configured this 'static IP address' via OMV UI or not. If you did it the OMV way then Debian's ifupdown package controls the NIC but if you leave things as they are when booting first time (or set a static address via nmtui) then Network Manager has control (and with NM this should work -- I have no idea about ifupdown since I hate using anachronistic mechanisms from last century)

I did set the static IP via OMV UI.

• I did set the static IP via OMV UI

Then most probably behavior is as expected. While I have no idea why people do set static IP addresses (why remembering those silly numbers, why not accessing your NAS by its name http://nanopct4.local) to get the desired behavior I would assume letting NM control the interface will result in what you want.

With OMV5 OMV's networking handling will move from anachronistic ifupdown to systemd -- maybe it's fixed that way too...

• Then most probably behavior is as expected. While I have no idea why people do set static IP addresses (why remembering those silly numbers, why not accessing your NAS by its name http://nanopct4.local) to get the desired behavior I would assume letting NM control the interface will result in what you want.
    With OMV5 OMV's networking handling will move from anachronistic ifupdown to systemd -- maybe it's fixed that way too...

I did setup the static IP to setup port forwarding and to setup automated backups of some devices. On some device I can only define a IP adress in order to access the NAS.
    What do you mean the NM? The Network Router in my case? Do I just need to delete the line in OMV UI and perform the definition of the IP on router side?

• What do you mean the NM?

Sorry, Network Manager. That's Armbian's default. To get rid of ifupdown behavior most probably you need to delete the interface in the OMV UI, then check /etc/network/interfaces and delete potential leftovers, reboot (DHCP then) and then either assign a static IP address using nmtui or let your router do the job.

NM takes care about links that went down and brings them up when available again...

• Sorry, Network Manager. That's Armbian's default. To get rid of ifupdown behavior most probably you need to delete the interface in the OMV UI, then check /etc/network/interfaces and delete potential leftovers, reboot (DHCP then) and then either assign a static IP address using nmtui or let your router do the job.
    NM takes care about links that went down and brings them up when available again...

Thanks, seems to work. Deleted the interface in OMV UI and afterwards /etc/network/interfaces was empty and the T4 got a DHCP address from the router after restart. After configuring address distribution at the router for the T4 the T4 now has it previous known address. Restart of the router is now no longer an issue - network connection gets re-connected afterwards. Thanks again.

• Since NVME SSD is so fast the Gigabit-Ethernet is the bottleneck rightnow. Is it possible to setup a second Ethernet line via USB adapter and to combine it with the onboard Ethernet to increase bandwith (Link Aggregation of both Ethernet lines)?

• Does NOT increase bandwidth.

Do you know any possibility to increase network speed with multiple lines to allow paralell access of multiple users to access the NAS with high speed? I like the excellent speed, low price and low power consumption of the nanoPC T4 - all in a very small box. But I lwould like to further increase network speed - to get an even more outstanding cpmbination of speed, low power consumption, low price in a small box. Beside of that OMV meets all my requirements.

• Do you know any possibility to increase network speed with multiple lines to allow paralell access of multiple users to access the NAS with high speed?

With multiple users Link Aggregation can work to improve overall bandwidth. But each link is still 1 Gbps and the usual algorithms to spread individual connections over the existing LAG members often results in all clients being on the same link if there are only a few clients.

An approach that works better is 'SMB multichannel' but this obviously will only work if your clients are also capable of SMB multichannel and you're using SMB/CIFS. Forum search has some results.

For USB3-Ethernet adapters the only real recommendation is those based on RTL8153 chipset or soon either RTL8156 (2.5GbE) or Aquantia’s AQC111U (5GbE). But you should be aware of the usual USB downsides: https://superuser.com/question…exist-yet/1366055#1366055

• Hi there,

I’m getting some strange errors on rockpi 4 Arabian buster which i’d like to share:

1) This happened while installing OMV trough softy: Error
    2) I now even can’t update: Error

I hope this is the right place to post these errors.

• Hello,

I really hesitate between the RockPro64 and Odroid H2.
    I'd like to make backup, Nextcloud, Plex and test some docker apps like JDownloader, Sonarr.
    I want to plug 2 4To in SATA. One will be the backuo of the other (I understood that it doesn't matter making RAID for this kind of configuration).

What do you think I should take ?

• @aldrick

* Odroid H2 has 2x SATA ports and single m.2 NVME port and accepts 14~20V power, up to 60W according to spec. Its SATA ports are confirmed to support port multiplier functionality, however it seems internal power circuitry will not be able to handle additional SATA drives, so you will need to power them separately.

* RockPro64 is a nice RK3399 board you can just plug a PCIe to SATA controller card with 2, 4 or 6 ports. It accepts 12V for power, so you can get an ATX or pico PSU to power both the board (via barrel jack adapter) and the drives.

Odroid H2 will be much more expensive (the board itself, much more expensive shipping, needs RAM).

You can read about RK3399 performance (different board but results should be similar) here.

• Hi,

I've seen a video that made me choose the RockPro64.
    I'll take 4GB model with the Pine64 Case.

Thanks for your reply.

PS: if someone's interested about the video:

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• @aldrick you're welcome! I'd get RockPro64 myself but I need something physically smaller, so choosing between RockPi4 and NanoPi M4, also RK3399. They are more expensive than RockPro64, and won't accept standard PCIE SATA controllers without adapters driving final cost further up but sadly I have no choice. Here's my thread asking for advice, it has links to couple PCIe SATA controllers, maybe it will be helpful - or maybe you are familiar with these controllers and can give me some advice on them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will the NanoPC T4 get openmediavault 5 with Debian10 ?

If it is supported by armbian (it is), then an image can be created.

will it be possible to upgrade or is a new fresh install required?

I recommend a fresh install.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!