OMV for RockPro64 (and other RK3399 devices soon)

• tobefond wrote:

the T4 has its static IP adress
      My question was whether you configured this 'static IP address' via OMV UI or not. If you did it the OMV way then Debian's ifupdown package controls the NIC but if you leave things as they are when booting first time (or set a static address via nmtui) then Network Manager has control (and with NM this should work -- I have no idea about ifupdown since I hate using anachronistic mechanisms from last century)
    • tkaiser wrote:

tobefond wrote:

the T4 has its static IP adress
      My question was whether you configured this 'static IP address' via OMV UI or not. If you did it the OMV way then Debian's ifupdown package controls the NIC but if you leave things as they are when booting first time (or set a static address via nmtui) then Network Manager has control (and with NM this should work -- I have no idea about ifupdown since I hate using anachronistic mechanisms from last century)
      I did set the static IP via OMV UI.
    • tobefond wrote:

I did set the static IP via OMV UI
      Then most probably behavior is as expected. While I have no idea why people do set static IP addresses (why remembering those silly numbers, why not accessing your NAS by its name nanopct4.local) to get the desired behavior I would assume letting NM control the interface will result in what you want.

With OMV5 OMV's networking handling will move from anachronistic ifupdown to systemd -- maybe it's fixed that way too...
    • tkaiser wrote:

tobefond wrote:

I did set the static IP via OMV UI
      Then most probably behavior is as expected. While I have no idea why people do set static IP addresses (why remembering those silly numbers, why not accessing your NAS by its name nanopct4.local) to get the desired behavior I would assume letting NM control the interface will result in what you want.
      With OMV5 OMV's networking handling will move from anachronistic ifupdown to systemd -- maybe it's fixed that way too...
      I did setup the static IP to setup port forwarding and to setup automated backups of some devices. On some device I can only define a IP adress in order to access the NAS.
      What do you mean the NM? The Network Router in my case? Do I just need to delete the line in OMV UI and perform the definition of the IP on router side?
    • tobefond wrote:

What do you mean the NM?
      Sorry, Network Manager. That's Armbian's default. To get rid of ifupdown behavior most probably you need to delete the interface in the OMV UI, then check /etc/network/interfaces and delete potential leftovers, reboot (DHCP then) and then either assign a static IP address using nmtui or let your router do the job.

NM takes care about links that went down and brings them up when available again...
    • tkaiser wrote:

tobefond wrote:

What do you mean the NM?
      Sorry, Network Manager. That's Armbian's default. To get rid of ifupdown behavior most probably you need to delete the interface in the OMV UI, then check /etc/network/interfaces and delete potential leftovers, reboot (DHCP then) and then either assign a static IP address using nmtui or let your router do the job.
      NM takes care about links that went down and brings them up when available again...
      Thanks, seems to work. Deleted the interface in OMV UI and afterwards /etc/network/interfaces was empty and the T4 got a DHCP address from the router after restart. After configuring address distribution at the router for the T4 the T4 now has it previous known address. Restart of the router is now no longer an issue - network connection gets re-connected afterwards. Thanks again.
    • Users Online 2

2 Guests