Share Multiple Disks As One?

• Hi, just converted my old PC from a Windows file sever to using OpenMediaVault and must say I love it so far... so thanks for the great OS!

I have 8 HDDs in the PC (all NTFS) and would like to have 6 of them appear as one logical drive if possible... even if it is just read only, prefer that actually, then for writes I am fine using the individually shared disks. I have been out of the Linux world for a while now so thought I would ask before jumping into it :). And hoping maybe there is something I am missing and can do this right in the OpenMediaVault interface.

Thanks a lot for any help!

• I don't know a solution if you leave them NTFS. If you are willing to change them lvn and ext4 then this would be possible. If you can get one disk empty you could do it a dsik at a time. Once one disk was setup and you add a share you can start moving data to it and then add the other disks as you empty the data off. But remember with LVM if 1 disk dies you lose all data.

• Thanks much for that info tekkbebe... unfortunately I have very little free space at the moment, but if no other solutions come up for keeping them as NTFS I will maybe try that in the future when I get a new drive. Don't like the idea of losing a drive loses all data though either, so might try and just work around having a bunch of separate shares.

In windows I used a 3rd party app to make a symbolic link of all the drives and then made that link my share, maybe I can do something like that and symlink all the drives over to one and then share. Not sure that I even need to do that with this NAS though, maybe separate shares will be just fine... need to play around with it some more I guess :).

Thanks again tekkbebe.

• I use symlinks all the time in linux. Say you have movies folder that is shared on drive 1. You can make a symlink from a movies folder in drive 2 to movies folder in drive 1.It works great in plex. I would make a shared folder in drive 2 and have the additional movies folder in it. That way you will be able to give the shared folder, recursively, the correct perms in OMV's web-gui and you will be able to upload to files with uers that you have given perms.

• So finally getting around to creating these symlinks... created them fine with the following commands:

cd /export/MediaJukebox
    ln -s /export/DVD1/

And in the terminal session the links work just fine... but in my SMB/CIFS MediaJukebox share I see the linked folder as expected, but when trying to enter the folder/link it says:

Windows cannot access \\NAS\MovieJukebox\DVD1
    You do not have permission to access \\NAS\MovieJukebox\DVD1. Contact your network administrator to request access.

I tried specifying "allow insecure wide links = yes" in the Extra Option for both the SMB/CIFS settings and the share settings... but that didn't seem to help.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

• Never mind, think I found the trick... needed "unix extensions = no" too.

Ended up with the following Extra Options then:

follow symlinks = yes
    wide links = yes
    unix extensions = no

That being said, it is working for my SMB/CIFS shares, but not the NFS ones (links don't show at all)... hmm, now what options are needed for it...

• None. You can't do it with NFS.

http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2256

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• It bugged me too, but it simply does not work :(

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!