OpenMediaVault installation file for Raspberry Pi does not match the MD5 code - ff27e253c86abdcd51c533d4841d3ded

• I downloaded twice the file OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus.img.xz (MD5 hash: b3ad4ddb9cbe91d34949b67473b8affa) and I got a different MD5 value. My value is "ff27e253c86abdcd51c533d4841d3ded" and it was calculated with WinMD5Free.
    I used etcher to copy the image to a SD Card (16 GB) and when I booted from it, I don't get anything like presented in this video:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

I initially used a WiFi keyboard, which OMV is not aware of. I purchased a USB keyboard, but now OMV is not aware of my Wireless internet connection. There are no settings for WiFi.
    Every time I configure the network with some values, they are instantly forgotten. I know this is experimental (the installation warns me it is experimental), but I would hope at least keyboard and network support.
    And the MD5 to be actually correct.

Kind regards,
    Nicolae

• MD5 Hash for OMV 4 RPi ISO doesn't match readme.txt

OMV is meant to be used headless. Check the readme.txt at download location (especially the 'be patient please' section and why OMV needs Internet access at first boot) and check the threads mentioned in the readme where it's explained how to easily set up your Wi-Fi (which won't work if you don't allow OMV to finish installation at first boot).

• Hi tkaiser,

Thanks for the advice, but I don't understand - I am told to wait patiently for installation because a slow SD Card and slow internet connection take up to 20 minutes.
    If the installation relies on an internet connection, then how can RPi connect to my wireless internet, without me providing the network name and password?
    And what does it mean to wait patiently? Should I disregard the prompt to login when it first appears?

I also came across different information for login - in one place it says to use the "root/openmediavault" credentials, while the online documentation said to use "root/1234".
    Initially I tried logging in using root/openmediavault a few times (it was indicating error), then the installation just continued by itself. It run pretty quickly, probably because it could not connect to the internet.

Maybe the advice should be - do not attempt to install if your RPi is not connected via ethernet and a DHCP server is not available?

First time I run the installation, I was quite patient - I left the installation running for about 4 hours and I still got to the same point I am now - which is nowhere :)

I also had problems when I reflashed the SD Card. After writing, the verification process indicated error. I had to use the SD Card Formatter to format the SD card and this erased the three partitions that formed.

I checked the readme file and I visited the two links provided - there are many pages in each link, that present little information about wireless configuration. Maybe I am reading the wrong readme file?

https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/23065
    https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/18991 (OMV 3)

I tried iwconfig and I get error "lo - no wireless extensions"
    I also tried ifconfig wlan0 up and I get error "wlan0: error while getting interface flags: no such device"

Maybe it is because I was not patient during installation :)
    I will format the SD Card and copy the image and install it, while connected to ethernet (patiently this time!).

Thanks,
    Nicolae

• Seriously: I totally fail to get the case for a NAS not connected to the network (usual Wi-Fi on SBC is unusable for the NAS use case, way too slow. Only exceptions are those boards that allow to use the 5GHz band so if you have a RPi 3B+ and also a 5GHz capable AP then this might work but of course the board needs to be connected to wired network first)

OMV is a headless OS, the best way to deal with it is without any display and keyboard attached.

• forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/18991 (OMV 3)

The first post links to New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images (no idea why the screenshots disappeared and now are just clickable links).

But once you let OMV be installed correctly it's afterwards just enabling SSH and then calling 'nmtui' to get Wi-Fi access. No need to fiddle around with any other command. Maybe it works also from within OMV guy but I never tried this since Wi-Fi on SBC is too slow to be used (as already mentioned: Only exception if you can escape the overcrowded 2.4 GHz band)

• In my case, the NAS will be connected to the network. My router (which has four ethernet ports and one to be allocated to the NAS) is located in a room where I have no monitor, keyboard or mouse. To my regret, I am not able to bring a LAN cable in the room where my computer resides so I have to use WiFi connection. My computer has WIFi adapter and a network card, but I don't know how to configure it to supply internet to Raspberry Pi. I assigned an IP and gateway to my ethernet, but had no luck to ping the Raspberry Pi. I don't know if it is even possible to do that.

I was hoping not to have to move the monitor, keyboard, power adapters, etc) in the router room during the configuration of the NAS. Besides, it is cold in there. Once the configuration is done, I could move the Raspberry Pi and the hard disk in their final destination. I've already installed another NAS and after configuration I discovered I only have read access rights. I wasted some time trying to get the right permissions and I failed. I thought maybe OMV will be easier to configure, but I spent the almost the entire day with it and achieved nothing (I should have not connected a keyboard and monitor to it! :) ) I must admit I am not very bright and I avoid reading too many pages of documentation. I usually hope for things to be self-explanatory, which is rarely the case.

I also hoped that having an image made on purpose for RPi would have made the task easier. Perhaps as you said, it is very easy - insert the SD Card, plug the ethernet, turn on and then connect via SSH.
    When I turn on the power, I get greeted by perhaps 20 failed services and that is a bit scary to me - I probably should look away :)

If I connect the box to the ethernet without a monitor, I won't know what the allocated IP Address is. I could try to ping them one by one, I know the DHCP in my router starts from 101 or so - there shouldn't be too many tries.

Thanks for explaining what a headless OS is, I didn't know that. I will try again next week. I will check the videos about installation, maybe I will understand more.

Nicolae

• Perhaps as you said, it is very easy - insert the SD Card, plug the ethernet, turn on and then connect via SSH

It's even easier since there's no need for SSH.

Follow the readme.txt at the download page: 'insert the SD Card, plug the ethernet, turn on', then do a 'ping raspberrypi' from a client machine and if that does not work get 'Angry IP scanner' or whatever tool available for your OS to scan for IP addresses (every common router will tell you too) and access OMV in a web browser.

AFAIK there's no need for SSH unless you want to do advanced things...

• I've just done that and possibly failed even with this simple task! After I connected the device and the LAN cable, I powered it up. Ten second later I noticed the LAN cable was not holding inside and I pulled the cable to check if the clip is not broken. Turns out I did not inserted it hard enough, it has some rubber cover that prevented it to go in all the way. Now I am not sure if it reached the point where it needed the LAN connection.
    I opened the router page and I can see the IP assigned to Raspberry Pi. I can ping the IP (it does not respond to "ping raspberrypi"), but I can't open OMV web page. I hope the installation is in progress and a bit later it will be accessible. I am on fast internet (about 40 Mbps) so the update should take reasonably little time.
    I tried to connect via SSH using Putty (I tried admin/openmediavault and root/openmediavault because I can't remember which one to use) and I get "access denied". There are about 45 minutes since I turned it on first time. Perhaps it got angry on me for removing the LAN Cable.
    Any chance to power it back or should I reflash the SD Card and start over?

I left the external hard drive off. I think I read earlier somewhere to connect it after the installation is complete.

I noticed the MAC address of my Raspberry Pi has changed between the different OS installations. I thought it is stored in hardware...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!