Home-NAS-AMD

• Hi all,

I share with you my OpenMediaVault build.
    I use some disk new disk (3x2To) and many differents disks ....
    My configuration :
    - Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H
    - AMD Athlon II X2 250
    - Gskill 2x4Go PC10600
    - Intel PRO/1000 GT
    - OCZ Mod 550W

I give you some picture the NAS.

I use Samba, AFP, Rsync, Tvheadend, Mysql (for XBMC) on CF card , Subsonic services
    I thinks that i have to optimize the setting to have less energy consumption. If you have some advice for me ? (now the server run 24/7)

OMV Erasmus (always the last version) - version:AMD64 - noyau:4.7.0 - CPU:AMD II X2 250 - RAM:8Gb - RAID1 and RAID5

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could try the autoshutdown script and use WOL to wake it.

What case is that?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks. Nice looking case :)

Putting it to sleep is about the only way to save energy other than underclocking the processor and/or spinning the hard drives down. Do you have a kill-a-watt meter to tell how much energy it is using now?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Yes i have a socket wattmeter to know the energy consumed by the server. This is a low coast socket by i thinks that the information is not so bad...
    At start I have a pic at 160W and after 110W. I have to wait until the server is boot and in stable state

OMV Erasmus (always the last version) - version:AMD64 - noyau:4.7.0 - CPU:AMD II X2 250 - RAM:8Gb - RAID1 and RAID5

• I check now (after 2 hours) the socket display 95W.
    I find this value high, what do you think ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think it is too bad. My system is about 129W but I have more hard drives, raid card, and quad core processor. You have seven hard drives?, a few fans, and a 65 watt processor. Probably not a lot you can do to drop it without making a major motherboard/processor change. You could put a Sempron 145 (45 watt processor) in it to drop usage.

• Thanks, for your information.
    No, i have 8 hard driver, 4 in Raid5, 2 in Raid1, 1 for tempory data and 1 for system.(I have a CF UDMA in an IDE adapter for my SQL database use for XBMC)

I will check autoshutdown, but I need to check with my XBMC to send a start during wake up.

• I don't know if you want to spend more money but if you watch e-bay for a amd 400e, or 600e, cpu you might get one on the cheap. They would reduce your power consumption by at least 20 watts and give you 1 or 2 more cores. Volker uses an energy efficient amd 240e. I have a 615e in my big machine and a 400e in my little one.

You can see Volker's here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openmediavault/

Pull up the pic.

240e for 29 bucks.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-AT…=CPUs&hash=item232b09ab6e

PS- I was looking at the haswells last night. They are really starting to lower the power consumption with the 4th gen

PPS- the power supply you are using is pretty big. If you used a smaller one that would save wattage. I think mine is a 350 watt Seasonic.

PPPS- Not being critical. Just giving you ideas if power consumption is a concern or you are a greenie.. :mrgreen:

• Yes, i think that if i want to reduce the consumption i have to change the CPU. Maybe the AMD X2 250U or 260U.

I don't know if the reduce of voltage and frequency will help me to reduce the energy consumption. (I see with cat /proc/cpuinfo, my CPU run at 800mhz)

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!