Mount >16TB RAID-Station on ODROID XU4 // OMV4.1.8.2-1

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mount >16TB RAID-Station on ODROID XU4 // OMV4.1.8.2-1

Hi everyone,

I want to transform my 18TB DAS into a NAS to backup various devices, and as a NFS Share for Media Purposes. Currently my RAID-Station is connected to a laptop. Streaming is handled over a nfs manager.
      But now, I want to move the Station in the flat and make it accessible without a connection to my computer.

I purchased a ODROID XU4Q for this and installed OMV4.1.8.2-1

The problem is now that I get an Error message when I try to mount the volume in OMV.

Err Message:
      Failed to execute command 'export
      PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin;
      export LANG=C;
      mount -v --source '/dev/disk/by-label/GoBig' 2>&1' with exit code '32': mount:
      mount /dev/sda2 on /srv/dev-disk-by-label-GoBig failed: File too large

I realize that a 32bit system has a 16TB limitation, but I thought that since OMV3.X it only is 64bit. And the ODROID is also a 64bit machine.
      The kernel is "Linux 4.9.103-odroidxu4

So am I wrong with that, and I just cannot use a Disk this large with OMV or is it some other problem I don't know about

Thanks guys in advance
    • fabschke wrote:

but I thought that since OMV3.X it only is 64bit
      Nope, OMV is not 32 bit or 64 bit. It is just a package. It can be installed on either. There is only a 64bit ISO for intel machines but that doesn't mean it doesn't work on 32 bit systems. Most of the arm images are 32 bit.

fabschke wrote:

And the ODROID is also a 64bit machine.
      Nope, the odroid xu4 is not a 64bit machine.
      omv 4.1.12 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.11
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • fabschke wrote:

I just cannot use a Disk this large with OMV
      OMV is not involved here at all. It's just kernel/driver stuff. And since we're talking about the 'most reliable storage connection technology ever' -- crappy USB3 on an ARM board where the licensed XHCI IP block usually comes with a bunch of restrictions -- some obscure hardware limitations might also be involved.
    • fabschke wrote:

So would it be possible to do my project with a 64-bit board like the rockpro64 i guess?
      Yes. The rock64 and renegade (I have one) are good choices too.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • Nice! I'm currently looking at the Rockpro64 or the Renegade....
      Rockpro would be nice for potentially future upgrades I think (PCIe), but can I use the Rock64 image for OMV?

Are you satisfied with your Renegade Board?

I'm interested in your thoughts :)

Edit: Just saw the thread for the rockpro64 image for OMV ;)
    • fabschke wrote:

Are you satisfied with your Renegade Board?
      Yep, it is a nice board. It has been very stable and fast. I got the two gig version which I thought was priced well. It is one of the few arm boards (I have many) that I have left running because it works well enough to really use.