Automatic sync/backup between OMV and NAS

• Hello all!

Is it possible to configure automatic synchronization between OMV and NAS? I have NAS (Netgear Stora) which I use to store and share photographs (only sharing on my local network between family members). I would like to have some backup if my NAS fails, so ideally I would like to configure my OMV build to syncronize my photo folders automatically (every night for example). Is this possible? Other option would be to use OMV as my primary store location and sync/backup to NAS (actually this might be even better).

I tried some sync plugins but no success. I hope there is someone who could guide me on this (if it is even possible). Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I hope there is someone who could guide me on this (if it is even possible)

Use remote mount and rsync....so if your Netgear can create SMB/CIFs shares then use remote mount on omv then set up rsync to sync your Netgear back to omv.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

• Thank you for your help! I guess I was able to get it to work with remote mount and rsync. At least OMV started to work on something and HDD activity LEDs started to blink on my NAS drive. Maybe I should have make the test with some test files first since my photo collection is quite large :|.

One more question: I undrestood that rsync is automatically making "incremental backup" so it will only copy new files from source folder? Or do i have to make some special settings (now i just used the default settings which showed up when configuring rsync job).

I also read about this syncthing, but I am afraid Netgear Stora is too limited for that. Might be good solution for more advanced NAS boxes.

• One more question: I undrestood that rsync is automatically making "incremental backup" so it will only copy new files from source folder?

I also read about this syncthing, but I am afraid Netgear Stora is too limited for that. Might be good solution for more advanced NAS boxes.

Really do yourself a favor and read the man rsync.
    It is long but also comes with some examples at the end. Or do a websearch on HOWTO rsync

Be aware that you can configure rsync that it does not delete files that where deleted on the source.
    This can be your desired functionality but the backup then gets out of sync and you might wonder where your disc space went.

Look also at rsnapshot. This is what I use for backups on external storage. There is plenty of rsync magic behind the scenes and even an OMV plugin for it.

I started running seafile on a Raspberry 2. Then switched to syncthing on that machine because it was so much better for me and is truly open source and has a great web interface and easy installation compared to the scripts I had to use for seafile.
    It runs fine on a SAMSUNG Galaxy S5, probably the weakest device processorwise I use it with.
    After the initial sync you have to dig it in your top list

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!